BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

792K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  hoppydidit 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this a sticky and merging all new AT threads from the main page into this one (I can not move older threads into this one because it will insert the previous messages above/before this post).

Thanks to AzNMpower32 for this summary:

The problem: A portion of 2007-08 X3s built between 9/2006 and 11/2007 my have possible faulty transmission software programming. This affects X3s equipped with the 6-speed automatic gearbox. The gearbox may fail to respond to throttle inputs, fail to engage a lower gear, or downshift very roughly in normal Drive mode. The problem is not exhibited in manual mode. Cold temperatures may or may not make the shifting quality worse.

The BMW fix There is a software update, this is the latest release as of 10/07

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 07 dated May 2007.

SUBJECT
GM6 - Various Transmission and Driveability Complaints MODEL
E83 (X3) with 6L45R (GM6) automatic transmission produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

SITUATION
The customer may complain of transmission shift quality or driveability issues, as described in the situations below:

1. There is a delay in throttle response through the 1-2 upshift when accelerating from a stop.
2. There is a lack of power or hesitation when reapplying throttle, during either a 4-3 or 3-2 tip-in downshift. This may occur after slowing with a closed throttle.
3. Harsh downshifts when slowing on a roadway with a rising gradient (EGS is in a hill program).

CAUSES
EGS software calibration DME software calibration

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, reprogram the EGS using only Progman V27.02.00 or higher. The latest X3 EGS software may be identified as: 0489RZ0RS450 R0FN10 using the following diagnosis path:

Control-module functions / EGS transmission control Diagnosis requests / Status, data reference

It is important that the DME is also at the latest software level. Refer to SI B12 17 07 for more information concerning the DME software identification and improvements.

DO NOT perform the transmission adaptation under Service Functions, as prompted on the Progman screen. This test module is not functional and will be removed in a future DIS DVD release.

Always refer to SI B 24 11 07 for more information regarding GM6 transmission terminology, adaptation functionality, and adaptation procedures. Important notes:

* The transmission must be in the "Park" position, otherwise the programming may abort with the following error:

EGS ***8211;Diagnostic trouble 2089 (COAPI) - Programming mode changeover faulty

* Only use an approved BMW battery charger set to PS (Power Supply) mode and properly configured for the applicable battery AH rating.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code 24 00 38 61 00
Please post all future complaints and/or attempted resolutions on this thread! Thank you.

#701 ·
Knock on wood...updates have transformed our X3!

I've been following this thread weekly over the past 7+ months. I even added my complaint about my wife's 2007 X3's transmission on page 21 of this thread (see post 522). Long story short, I hated the way the X3 transmission was always fighting me...so irritating, especially in stop-and-go traffic around town. My wife didn't complain about it very much, but I found it so bad that I'd only drive it when necessary. And even then, I'd end up flipping the auto shifter into "manual" mode after a few miles, so I could control the shifting (it worked fine in manual mode, which told me that this was a programming problem).

After seeing reports in December and early January from ramjet-austin, Martlet66, and madurodave, I decided it was time to take the X3 back to the dealer for an update. Their lead tech took it for a ride, and he was able to feel some of the problems with hesitation and jerky shifts. They updated the X3 with the latest DME and EGS updates.

That visit to the dealer was almost two weeks ago now, and I'm pleased to report that the X3 has been transformed as a result of the updates. I noticed the difference right away, but I wanted to wait a week or so before reporting in here -- just in case the car started to relearn it's old (bad) habits. It is a very significant improvement. It pretty much behaves in a way that you'd expect it to. Every once in a while it'll hold onto a gear longer than I think it should, but that's only happened two or three times. And now I'm driving the X3 more than ever before, because it's in the (warm) garage while my car is sitting in the (cold) driveway. While it's still not "perfect", it's good enough that I don't even think about the transmission when driving anymore.

One of the big changes I've noticed is with the electronic throttle control (i.e. the gas pedal). Prior to the update, it felt more like an on-off switch to me. You'd give it a little gas, and it would go a little. You'd give it a little more, and get very little added oomph. Then you'd go a little further, and BAM, the transmission would downshift, the revs would rise sharply, and your passengers would all think you were just learning to drive. That problem is gone. I guess it makes sense that the throttle and transmission are directly linked.

Anyway, I hope the X3 bliss can continue. Now my only complaint is an occasional rubbing in the steering. It feels like a wire bundle laying on the steering rack under the dash. When I turn the wheel, I can feel it rubbing. If I raise and lower the steering wheel, it goes away for a day or two. Dealer couldn't reproduce that one.

Thanks BMW North America for finally listening! We are really happy with the X3 overall, and would purchase it again. And thanks to the people here at Bimmerfest -- especially ramjet-austin, Martlet66, and madurodave -- for your feedback. Lets hope this problem is a thing of the past for all of us!

Regards,
Steve
2007 BMW X3 (wife's)
2004 BMW 330i ZHP (my "Sunday" and DE car)
2008 Infiniti G35x (my daily driver)

#702 ·
Let me know if it re-appears after 300 miles. It's distance not time that appears to affect the logic in the programming. My 08 and 09 X3's both worked wonderfully for the first 300 miles but then it went downhill. If anyone know's how to prevent the X3 from 'learning' pls let me know. The learning reset does not work, btw.

If you're wondering why I have an 08 and 09 let me explain. BMW replaced my 08 with an 09 after my many complaints about the hesitation issue. I took an 09 X3 for a long test drive and it was perfect hence I allowed BMW to replace the 08 with an 09. Foolish of me, I should have replaced it with an X5 or a MT X3!!! I love the X3 except for the tranny issues.

#703 · (Edited)
#704 ·
I would like to simply point some things out, having followed this thread for months.

The mere fact that this thread is 700 posts long and contains all kinds of rants against BMW and the 6spd auto -- some with pretty ugly stories of repeated attempts at fixing the control logic without success, and others with buybacks which resulted in the same problem suggests one and only one thing: Dont get an 07-09 X3 with an automatic transmission! Knowledge is power -- it is all over the internet that the transmission has problems. The old adage -- "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" really applies. You have no credibility if you get an auto X3 knowing there's a good chance the tranny will give you fits only to find that- yeah the transmisssion has problems. If ever there was an opportunity to do what most of the world does == learn to drive a manual and even enjoy it, this is it!!! I remember being amazed when I first traveled to Italy as a kid when we got in a car driven by my friend's grandmother and it was a stick. Smooth as silk. And she was totally cool with it. Pretty much everywhere in the world people drive sticks. Its just better. And in the case of the X3 -- it is nearly unique in that its a beautifully made, chuckable small SUV with 8 inches of ground clearance, a great ride and its a stick. Only two other cars in US can claim this: Subbie outback (nice but decidedly downmarket and very lame in the twisties) and Porsche Cayene -- at twice the price. So do the right thing -- buy a stick, before we dont even have the option to do so anymore...

#705 ·
If you like a stick fine but for what appears to be the vast majority of folks (based on sales of sticks vs automatics) the convenience of automatics is preferred. Personally I would never have another stick. Not because I can't drive one, I learned on a 1936 Chev farm truck a thousand years ago, and only drove sticks until the traffic gridlock made it no longer fun to have one. There are a small number of small SUV's still offered with a stick. Most are entry versions with the smaller engines however. BTW the base Porsche Cayenne stick is not "twice the price" it is just about the same price as a decently optioned X3 and has a lot more standard content (leather interior etc.). The new Porsche base engine is a 295 hp V6. Sizewise it falls between the X3 and new X5. A great bargain IMHO!

#708 ·
Hey Uncle J -- you're right you should definitely stick with automatic transmissions, cause theyre just so much more convenient. And so is MacDonalds versus a good healthy home cooked meal. Still not sure I'd go with Micky Dee's tho. But just to play devil's advocate, you may want to consider that some manuals are better than others and some can be fun even in stop and go. (I'm in NYC three days a week I should know). The X3's is superb and light and very easy to drive.

And that greater content in the Cayenne also comes with a greater curb weight -- by over a thousand pounds. Enjoy those extra 35 ponies, tho...

#709 ·
Hey Uncle J -- you're right you should definitely stick with automatic transmissions, cause theyre just so much more convenient. And so is MacDonalds versus a good healthy home cooked meal. Still not sure I'd go with Micky Dee's tho. But just to play devil's advocate, you may want to consider that some manuals are better than others and some can be fun even in stop and go. (I'm in NYC three days a week I should know). The X3's is superb and light and very easy to drive.

And that greater content in the Cayenne also comes with a greater curb weight -- by over a thousand pounds. Enjoy those extra 35 ponies, tho...
Just go play with your stick in another thread. This one's about automatic transmissions and you're contributing nothing but your opinion. :tsk:.

#710 ·
cubed, you'r right! The Cayenne is heaver, by 500 lbs, it is also longer by a couple of inches, and has less cargo capacity, by a couple of cu ft. As I wrote, it fits neatly between the X3 and new X5, including base price. If you have ever driven one you would find it even more capable than the X3, but perhaps just not as "tossable". OTOH, it really IS a Porsche! Now my reservation at Micky D's is ready so I will have to sign off -- you know how upset they get when you are late. HT, now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

#713 ·
Dumping my X3 for a GLK!

After multiple attempts to get the tranny problem fixed we are turning in '07 back in as the 2 year (thank God we did that) lease has run out.

Have found the GLK to be in very way superior (cheaper too) and bet it won't have transmission problems.......

Adios BMW.....probably see you in Lemon Law arbitration!

#716 ·
x3 Transmission

I had our x3 tranny's software updated on the first annual service last july.

I did notice some improvement from previous unusual shifting, although it never was

a big problem. However, since that time I have noticed that my winter floor mat will

slide up a little on the accelerator . This mat becomes stiff and cold and seems to have a

big effect on causing the tranny to hold a gear much too long. I am quite sure that

has an effect because it goes away if I pull the mat back in place. I am very surprised that

the accelerator is so sensitive and am looking at better ways to securing the mat . The velco

lets go and is not the best solution.

George Allan

#718 ·
Still lovin' my computer patched X3. It drives beautifully; it's hot; it drives tight and fun; it's more handsome than brett favre and gets as many head turns; I LOOK FORWARD TO DRIVING IT EVERYDAY! So what's up with all the X3 hate? Go to your dealer, get the patch, or trade it in for a Subaru and sit around a camp fire and whine about the hot car you got rid of because you got spooked by an anonymous forum post from a disaffected hippie with poor credit...

#722 ·
Hope it works for you--my "Patch" wore off in a few weeks, then it was back to the hesitation and bad downshifts. --Good Luck.. BTW I did trade it in and got crap for a trade-in value. Seems like the word got around and the resale value tanked. My dealer had a lot full of used X3's and probally still does. That Subaru is sounding good! :rofl:

#720 ·
You folks do know that the 335 series is now experiencing the same problems with lag now that BMW has instituted a new version update. And this was posted by several BMW fanzines. So stands to reason if they can create it, they can undo it? And the hate comes from near death experiences ramjet while the dealers claimed there was no problems. And most of the people have been far from anonymous. Talk to Engineer he has stacks of data.

#721 ·
I took my wife's 2008 X3 in for a bad oxygen sensor last week, and was given an '09 X5 3.0 as a loaner. The X5 had 1500 miles on the odo, and it had the same hesitation from a dead stop as the X3. I was not impressed.

#723 ·
We just bought an 07 with an automatic and we have an 04 with an automatic - I have an observation that may have been discussed but I haven't seen it. My observation is that if I push the accelerator down quickly the transmission responds instantly but if I push it down deliberately but not quickly it has a tendency to want to stay in the higher gear. This is much more so on the 07 than the 04. I personally drive a Cayenne S and the transmission exhibits many of these same characteristics. Once I learned to understand this logic I find the transmission is flexible an easy to manage. I know the transmission is supposed to learn but maybe it is a little of both.

Thoughts - comments

#724 ·
I would check if your dealer has put in the latest transmission and engine software upgrade. It sounds like you have what I had initially. The X3 is much more responsive now with the new software.

I do understand people's pain and frustration with BMW for this issue. 2 - 3 years for a fix is unacceptable. For me, it was a 1 month experience before I got the patch, so it was not bad. I have had similar issues with my Harley - it has a 110 cu.in. engine that runs very hot and lean for emissions. It also had jerks in the transmission. There was a fix for both, but I had to pay money to fix them. So I understand your pain. Just realize that we have not had the same level of pain and that we are happy the issue is fixed.

I do not believe the transmission will relearn its bad shift points as others have said. I now have 3k miles and it runs like a champ!

I will update here if something changes.

#725 ·
interesting read: new Audi A6 review

I question why anyone would buy the less fuel-efficient A6 4.2, whose 350-hp V-8 hits 60 mph just 0.1 seconds quicker. Perhaps Audi somehow quelled accelerator lag in that version - which brings me to my chief complaint, something that sapped the drivetrain's thrills so much it was an outright deal-breaker for me: gas-pedal lag. Encouraged in part by the auto industry's migration toward drive-by-wire electronic throttles, this annoyance is rampant in competitors like the E-Class, but it's especially vexing here, in part because of its inconsistency. From stop-and-go driving to highway passing, the A6 exhibits as much as a full second of delay between pressing the accelerator and, well, accelerating. The depth of the pedal has little effect on the outcome: Whether barely prodded or given a concerted stab, the delay emerged - but not always: I didn't notice it early in the week, and one colleague took the A6 home and discerned no major lag. Two others who drove the car reported noticeable lag...

seems like it's not just the x3 or BMW.

#726 · (Edited)
Well, there is a reason why it is known to mortals as "the dreaded Audi Tiptronic Lag". It has been around since at least the last century (I love to write that) in varying degrees of annoyance. The question is can you live with it? I have not found it a problem in the wife's A4 quattro, nor has she, but it is there. I have just not experienced the serious lags that have brought about this sticky. The '07-on X3 loaners I have driven were not afflicted with the problem, but I don't doubt for a minute it does exist. As an unrelated aside I drove a new Tahoe with a 6 speed and detected no lag of any kind, just instant throttle like it used to be back in the day. So at least some are getting it right (or I just had a good one).

#727 · (Edited)
One more for the list...

Hi.

This saga comes to you from Croatia - different country - same problem! How many of us are there I wonder. Time for a Register maybe??? (Sorry it's long - hope it's not boring!)

OK - let's start at the beginning...

I have a high-spec X3 3.0si new from BMW main dealer March 2007 with less than 10,000 miles on the clock and right now it's dead! Literally. Over two weeks ago before Dealer warranty expired I took it to my nearest BMW garage (3 hours away) for an oil change service and more importantly because I had become more and more aware of the increasingly erratic and sometimes dangerous manner of the automatic gearbox.

Having already advised the dealer of the problem they were ready with a Software update. Great! Problem was when they applied it a module 'burned' and with no way of starting the car without a replacement which had to come from Germany (3 days) I was going home without my X3.

Since then - another module no good - wait for whole new computer (3 days - you get the picture) - installed - but would not accept reprogramming and new software. Eventually Head office at Munich contacted with plan of direct link to my car and update from there - good idea - no - miserable failure - gave up when it became clear that wasn't going to work either! Currently awaiting another new computer....

So as I write my car is DEAD! I'll update this post with the resolution - what ever it might be but that's not actually why I decide to join in.

I know this could be a really good car to own and drive - but the simple truth is: it is flawed and worst - dangerous AND BMW KNOW IT.

Before you rush incensed and seething to your keyboards consider this: You are enjoying your journey, as a passenger, in a very comfortable and secure feeling X3 when your driver pulls out to overtake on a clear straight piece of two-way road. The accelerator is depressed - the revs rise and rise - you nervously spot the Red-Line fast approaching as does your driver who - not wanting to damage his expensive engine - lifts off and now the car's brain (I use this term loosely) can't decide which gear it's in. Remember that clear straight piece of road - well while you're out on the wrong side with the car still beside you, naturally unaware of your predicament closing your escape route - imagine the sudden realization that the now oncoming traffic also have absolutely no idea what's about to happen! Still think BMW aren't knowingly selling a dangerous vehicle? For those of you who haven't, try it sometime - you'll soon change your mind!

It is not good enough to say - as many already have in this forum - manual mode works fine - yes I agree it does - but I don't remember in my BMW X3 Handbook any where written 'Use of Automatic mode is not recommended'. But as it would seem BMW clearly have no current solution to this serious problem - then maybe it's time it did.

For sure it's too late for those of us who have already purchased one of these very expensive mistakes (if you guys on the 'other side of the pond' think your X3's are expensive - cheer yourselves up take a look at prices here) but maybe we can save others from making the same mistake.

This thread has been running for a long while and more of us will keep it going unless some way can be found to bring this 'cover-up' to future potential X3 buyers' attention? Don't worry about wasting more time moaning to BMW - they'll pay attention soon enough when the X3 stops selling.

For my part I now hope they can't fix mine - confidence is lost - joy is tainted - I wouldn't mind if it never came back from the dead.

Comments please.....

#728 ·
Hi.

This saga comes to you from Croatia - different country - same problem! How many of us are there I wonder. Time for a Register maybe??? (Sorry it's long - hope it's not boring!)

OK - let's start at the beginning...

I have a high-spec X3 3.0si new from BMW main dealer March 2007 with less than 10,000 miles on the clock and right now it's dead! Literally. Over two weeks ago before Dealer warranty expired I took it to my nearest BMW garage (3 hours away) for an oil change service and more importantly because I had become more and more aware of the increasingly erratic and sometimes dangerous manner of the automatic gearbox.

Having already advised the dealer of the problem they were ready with a Software update. Great! Problem was when they applied it a module 'burned' and with no way of starting the car without a replacement which had to come from Germany (3 days) I was going home without my X3.

Since then - another module no good - wait for whole new computer (3 days - you get the picture) - installed - but would not accept reprogramming and new software. Eventually Head office at Munich contacted with plan of direct link to my car and update from there - good idea - no - miserable failure - gave up when it became clear that wasn't going to work either! Currently awaiting another new computer....

So as I write my car is DEAD! I'll update this post with the resolution - what ever it might be but that's not actually why I decide to join in.

I know this could be a really good car to own and drive - but the simple truth is: it is flawed and worst - dangerous AND BMW KNOW IT.

Before you rush incensed and seething to your keyboards consider this: You are enjoying your journey, as a passenger, in a very comfortable and secure feeling X3 when your driver pulls out to overtake on a clear straight piece of two-way road. The accelerator is depressed - the revs rise and rise - you nervously spot the Red-Line fast approaching as does your driver who - not wanting to damage his expensive engine - lifts off and now the car's brain (I use this term loosely) can't decide which gear it's in. Remember that clear straight piece of road - well while you're out on the wrong side with the car still beside you, naturally unaware of your predicament closing your escape route - imagine the sudden realization that the now oncoming traffic also have absolutely no idea what's about to happen! Still think BMW aren't knowingly selling a dangerous vehicle? For those of you who haven't, try it sometime - you'll soon change your mind!

It is not good enough to say - as many already have in this forum - manual mode works fine - yes I agree it does - but I don't remember in my BMW X3 Handbook any where written 'Use of Automatic mode is not recommended'. But as it would seem BMW clearly have no current solution to this serious problem - them maybe it's time it did.

For sure it's too late for those of us who have already purchased one of these very expensive mistakes (if you guys on the 'other side of the pond' think your X3's are expensive - cheer yourselves up take a look at prices here) but maybe we can save others from making the same mistake.

This thread has been running for a long while and more of us will keep it going unless some way can be found to bring this 'cover-up' to future potential X3 buyers' attention? Don't worry about wasting more time moaning to BMW - they'll pay attention soon enough when the X3 stops selling.

For my part I now hope they can't fix mine - confidence is lost - joy is tainted - I wouldn't mind if it never came back from the dead.

Comments please.....
Sorry for your troubles! When it is done, you will be VERY happy with the way it performs.

I had a similar issue with the engine chip. The dealer almost sent for s new chip but was able to resurrect the old chip (which was fried). Your dealer may be able to do the same.

#729 ·
I apologize for my earlier rant about X3 complainers and hippies... If your car isn't running correctly or you feel your in danger, I'm sure that's not a good thing. My X3 took the patch well and after 3.000 miles is still running beautifully. To the poster from Croatia, for what it's worth, the SA here in Austin spoke about the difficulty of uploading the patch. Perhaps it has to do with the skill of the technician. I hope you get it fixed properly so you can enjoy your X3 like I do. For those of you folks who still haven't benefitted from the patch or other fixes, I hope you find a car you're much more happy with. Peace...

#734 ·
Thank you all for your constructive comments and good wishes - they are very much appreciated.

If I may -
... Perhaps it has to do with the skill of the technician...
How I wish that were true. But unfortunately BMW themselves - via direct upload from factory/head office Munich - have already unsuccessfully attempted to program the second installed COMPLETE computer (not just a chip) -

I had a similar issue with the engine chip....Your dealer may be able to do the same.
and as I write are awaiting the delivery of the 3rd new computer to then be installed for another go!! Watch this space.....

It also dawned on me whilst reading an email sent to me today from another similarly troubled X3 owner (from a different BMW Forum) that my style of driving has not only delayed my realization as to the seriousness of the problem (hence 2 yrs - 10,000 miles) but on more than one occasion, probably saved my life! Let me explain: I actually prefer manual so it would be usual for me to use Steptronic mode when out of town in traffic. As we all know the problem only seems to manifest itself in auto? I have been luckier than you might imagine ~ For those of you unfamiliar with this beautiful unspoilt region - due in part to the present lack of any motorway - most of the driving is narrow - hilly & twisty (usually with sheer drop to one side!) 'Excellent' I hear all you envious drivers say - and it certainly is - unless of course the vehicle you're driving is just waiting for you to enjoy and stay in automatic!! I'm making light - but with family on board - not funny really - is it?

As of course I currently am without my X3 it's too soon to guess where this might all end for me but you can all see a little more now as to why I am very concerned to 'jump back in' without finding out as much as I can about this apparent unresolved problem.

More feedback please - whether you're presently 'suffering' or have happily had your problem resolved - repair or 'buy back' - I think we'd all like to hear? I know I would.....

#731 ·
i did the 'reset' on mine and it appears to be behaving itself. it drives like it is supposed to - let's see how many miles it lasts! I went on my first six hour drive and it was so very uncomfortable - it's like sitting on a park bench after a couple of hours! Anyone else find the seats on the standard model hard?

#736 · (Edited)
Hi madurodave,

Hope you don't mind me commenting here - your remarks to X3ml could easily apply.

To date - 'working with the dealer' - hasn't exactly proved successful for me. Despite employing an After Sales Manager - I have had no response or reaction whatsoever regarding my X3 sitting in their workshop for almost 3 weeks now. Croatia has only one BMW Importer/Main dealer and with few Consumer laws to cause them problems they do not operate to the standard both you & I have come to expect and receive. Basically here it's a case of 'you pays your money - you takes your chance'!! With hindsight another marque might have been a smarter option - but I really wanted the 2007 X3 - so I guess that makes it my error not theirs. (I was mistakenly hoping BMW would safe guard me - wrong!!)

Apart from regular phone calls from an increasingly frustrated Workshop Service Manager trying in vain to resuscitate my X3 (with as mentioned, the 'help' of BMW Head office) - I've heard nothing so far either from BMW Customer Services - despite my sending them several email messages via their International 'Contact' link requesting they contact me with some urgency. Urgent it would seem is a relative term open to interpretation!!

I actually would like to keep my BMW - well maybe not the exact one I was driving - but the problem now is - my family, having been made aware of the extent of the dangers involved, are not exactly keen to accompany me! That's why I got rid of my last 2.8 Z3 - not the danger - but no space for the family - X3 looked like a really safe bet. Sometimes you just can't win!!!

#737 ·
Sorry to hear that, Exile. I do hope it works out some way in your favor. Please make sure you let us know how it works out.

As I said, I bought mine as a CPO. I had the trans fixed within 1 month and have had great luck since then. My wife loves it so much she is driving it and gave me her 530xi.

#738 ·
Based on madurodave's comments about success with a new software update, I decided to check it out.
The BMW service bulletin for the trans problem has not been updated since 11/07.

I called my SA and he said there are no new updates.

He also said they had someone in last week for the same problem and couldn't do anything for them.

So if there is a new update, BMW is keeping it a secret.

Consider yourself very fortunate madurodave.

#741 ·
Just about mirrors my experiences with my '07. I took care of the problem myself--I traded it in--and took a licking because the resale of these vehicles tanked...but I am happy. No matter how great the vehicle is if you have to worry about a retarded transmission then what good is it. I had the unfortunate experience of the trans going into "limp mode". It is very scary--similar to getting rear-ended when it downshifts. Lucky for me I was 3 miles from the dealer--they had it for 2 days, reprogrammed--that lasted for about 2 months then it slowly returned to its former brainless state. :dunno:

#739 ·
BMW and the Main Dealer are now on my case. Progress!!

Today the 3rd computer arrives from Germany for another attempt at resuscitating my vehicle. (As you all know 'dead' for 3 weeks now!) Then - if this one takes - they will finally be able to address the dysfunctional Auto transmission problems (- software update allowing?) Latest news from Zoltar doesn't exactly fill me with hope but right now that's all we have (...well, that and a good lawyer!!)

I will definitely post (thanks madurodave) the final resolution to this unfortunate affair - hopefully it will be soon and include me getting back into a fully functioning excellent X3!!

#740 ·
For what it is worth, here is what was used on my X3:

2461504 reprogram EGS module per SIB 24-08-07

1214715 program DME for shifting issue per SIB 12-17-07

It did work for me (and others).

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.