BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

792K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  hoppydidit 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this a sticky and merging all new AT threads from the main page into this one (I can not move older threads into this one because it will insert the previous messages above/before this post).

Thanks to AzNMpower32 for this summary:

The problem: A portion of 2007-08 X3s built between 9/2006 and 11/2007 my have possible faulty transmission software programming. This affects X3s equipped with the 6-speed automatic gearbox. The gearbox may fail to respond to throttle inputs, fail to engage a lower gear, or downshift very roughly in normal Drive mode. The problem is not exhibited in manual mode. Cold temperatures may or may not make the shifting quality worse.

The BMW fix There is a software update, this is the latest release as of 10/07

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 07 dated May 2007.

SUBJECT
GM6 - Various Transmission and Driveability Complaints MODEL
E83 (X3) with 6L45R (GM6) automatic transmission produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

SITUATION
The customer may complain of transmission shift quality or driveability issues, as described in the situations below:

1. There is a delay in throttle response through the 1-2 upshift when accelerating from a stop.
2. There is a lack of power or hesitation when reapplying throttle, during either a 4-3 or 3-2 tip-in downshift. This may occur after slowing with a closed throttle.
3. Harsh downshifts when slowing on a roadway with a rising gradient (EGS is in a hill program).

CAUSES
EGS software calibration DME software calibration

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, reprogram the EGS using only Progman V27.02.00 or higher. The latest X3 EGS software may be identified as: 0489RZ0RS450 R0FN10 using the following diagnosis path:

Control-module functions / EGS transmission control Diagnosis requests / Status, data reference

It is important that the DME is also at the latest software level. Refer to SI B12 17 07 for more information concerning the DME software identification and improvements.

DO NOT perform the transmission adaptation under Service Functions, as prompted on the Progman screen. This test module is not functional and will be removed in a future DIS DVD release.

Always refer to SI B 24 11 07 for more information regarding GM6 transmission terminology, adaptation functionality, and adaptation procedures. Important notes:

* The transmission must be in the "Park" position, otherwise the programming may abort with the following error:

EGS ***8211;Diagnostic trouble 2089 (COAPI) - Programming mode changeover faulty

* Only use an approved BMW battery charger set to PS (Power Supply) mode and properly configured for the applicable battery AH rating.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code 24 00 38 61 00
Please post all future complaints and/or attempted resolutions on this thread! Thank you.

#363 ·
29 down now by my count from this website.

#366 ·
Has anyone ever looked at the correlation factor between cars that were ordered vs those that where from dealer stock? Is there an identifiable trend ?

#369 ·
back to the dealer

After writing a "take it back letter" to the dealer the new SM insisted in test driving it. I basically told him that it was pointless unless they had new software but I would play the game once more. I left the car there for a week. I picked it up on Saturday and one of the guys (service advisor??) said the adaptation software had been reset and the vehicle was better now. My blood started boiling as I know this is not an adaption software problem. I said, well, I don't drive jerky so why would it adapt to that? Can't the adaptation "feature" be turned off? He said that because I was a gingerly driver that this caused the problem. I was more than annoyed now. I said that I am a conservative driver but not a Grandma. I don't floor it off of every light like a 16 year old. So I asked if I would have to bring it back every year for resetting then and he said yes! I just told him that the technology had obviously not been perfected yet. He then said that they were at the mercy of BMW for the software which only made me madder as that was my original claim in the letter - they do not have a fix so why go through this little charade when BMW knows damn well there is a problem!

I haven't driven it much yet but it doesn't look promising. I was turning left and got in and out of the throttle (lightly) and it jerked hard. It is impossible to touch the gas pedal lightly enough in some situations as to prevent a lurch/jerk forward. It's like I push the pedal 1 mm and the throttle opens half way. Very annoying. I'll driven it for a few days in rush hour traffic and then get back to BMW.

#370 ·
Keep At It

After writing a "take it back letter" to the dealer the new SM insisted in test driving it. He said that because I was a gingerly driver that this caused the problem. I was more than annoyed now. I said that I am a conservative driver but not a Grandma. I don't floor it off of every light like a 16 year old. So I asked if I would have to bring it back every year for resetting then and he said yes! they do not have a fix so why go through this little charade when BMW knows damn well there is a problem!

I haven't driven it much yet but it doesn't look promising. I was turning left and got in and out of the throttle (lightly) and it jerked hard. It is impossible to touch the gas pedal lightly enough in some situations as to prevent a lurch/jerk forward. It's like I push the pedal 1 mm and the throttle opens half way. Very annoying. I'll driven it for a few days in rush hour traffic and then get back to BMW.
Until you get a lawyer (and even then) they will jerk you around. They tried the, "You drive too slow approach with me". I have had this thing up to 120 mph + and consistently drive in the 80 mph range.

I have another "Test Drive" sheduled with a BMWNA advisor on the 30'th (which is pointless) since they look at you blankly and say, "It's meant to do that".

Regardless of their response I will pursue a Lemon Law Suit so its on the books unless they want to swap me to an MT as requested or buy it back.

They are using the "Wear You down approach" in hopes you will give up or dump the vehicle and then they pay nothing.

Keep at it. Its just playing chicken at this point to see who flinches.:p

#371 ·
I hate that we have to use this master thread, but I hope you all are happy, I am behaving.

I am so fed up with BMW. We have taken my wife's X3 in twice for this. I took it in an hour ago and before they even looked at it, they are saying it's normal. It's such a load of crap. My dad is a freaking sales manager at a dealership, and he was skeptical, but when he drove it, he admitted it is nowhere close to right. I called the customer relations department and left a message. Does anyone have a number for a regional SA or something? I called my dad thinking he might have a number for one, but no luck.

Does anyone else feel like this is that scene from Fight Club about recalls? Basically BMW has said internally they know it's broken, but they don't know how to fix it without coming up with a whole new system, and that is not cost effective. So now the official line is to just say it's normal and hope we all go away. It makes me so mad because my 2008 335i is perfection, and this X3 is so unbelievably flawed. It's even worse having a dad who is a SM and I still can't get any resolution.

#372 · (Edited)
See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Say No Evil

TexRob, They can't admit there is a problem with it. If they admit there is a design flaw then the lemon laws are validated and a class action law suit is possible.

If they admit that it is not supposed to be that way and it is not a design flaw then lemon laws are again validated. Either way they lose.

With billions of dollars being spent to move to US the last thing they will do is open another can of worms.

Had they been pro active from the start and did their own recall they would have avoided a lot of bad publicity, and could have quickly moved forward.

There best move IMO is to do what they have been doing. Take the hit and buy back, or trade out people that have this issue immediately. The longer they stall the worse it will get, not better.

My vehicle is in the shop again this week (not for the tranny, another issue). The dealer has made good and given me another BMW to drive in the meantime.

Interestingly enough I drove an X3 the last time, and a different one today. The one three weeks ago drove worse than mine. This one drives like a dream. Both were built in 07 (I checked the door jam for my records). So there are good ones out there.

It is just that when they are bad. They are bad..plain and simple. There is a difference. It's not driving technique, or adaptive transmissions, or different gas, etc..... or whatever flavor of excuse they are giving that week. They made a bad vehicle that day. Own up to your mistake BMW and take care of your problems.[/
B]

Make sure you file with the NHSTA and other agencies.

I will send you a PM with some information to help things along.

#373 ·
The good news is BMW bought back our '07 X3 (trade assist) and gave us a new '08 X3 at a great price. The bad news is it's only about 50% better than the last one. The transmission does shift much smoother, but still exhibits some of the same characteristics at the '07. Definitely holds gears going up hills, but that really never bothered me. It was the off the light lag that really got to me. Like I said, it's better, but BMW needs to completely re-do the transmission on these. We also owned an '06 which did not have the "new" transmission in it and it drove perfectly.
Good luck to everyone!

#376 ·
In your case, I think it is normal. Unfortunately, the new gearbox just does not seem to be paired very well with the rest of the drivetrain. Our loaner '08 had a fine gearbox, but the shifts weren't seamless. I attribute that to the fact that the converter is locked up and thus, does not buffer the shifts as much as the older model. Our '06 325i is similar. In order to get a smooth shift, I literally have to estimate shift timing and lift my foot a little to get a seamless shift. If I hold my foot down during the shift, there's a noticeable *push*.

Just buy a freaking manual. They're out there, and if not, order one.

#374 ·
Take this for what it's worth:

I was told that BMW has finally identified the problem, has a fix, but unfortunately it won't be available until September. It is a fix for 07 and 08 cars with this problem, and they are working on the solution/testing now.

This was not told to me by the dealer I took it to today.

#381 · (Edited)
At this point I don't think this vehicle is worth what was spent on it, since cars of lesser value would have performed much better.

I do have the pleasure of knowing I have cost them several sales. And shared some of the aggravation I and others have experienced because of the GM6 AT. That's what they get for dragging this out for so long.

In fact my boss who has been a blue and white dyed in the wool BMW fan and a member of their local club chapter passed one over after driving mine (it was a good deal since I got to drive his 740). He tells me he has shared his experience with my car with other members.

Anyone I know or meet who thinks of buying one I simply hand my keys..... and there goes their sale. If you feel strongly about it, just let others experience the "Herky Jerky" transmission with your vehicle.

Maybe they want to push this update out a little sooner, and I absolutley agree that a rebate of some sort is the bare MINIMUM they can do at this juncture.

Well on the 30'th I do the little dance with BMWNA again. If it won't prevent me from moving forward I will post the outcome.

In the meantime I will ask the "Master Mechanic" if this there is any truth in this new "Update".

Quite honestly with the big move to the US and the introduction of two new models I think the X3 is very low on their priority list.

Not a smart move in today's fragile and competitive market.

#386 ·
Thank you for all of your comments.
I have decided to lease the Acura RDX instead.
Don't need the headache with a $40k unreliable BMW.
I am absolutely certain that I'm making the wise & correct choice...thanks to this forum!
Good luck with BMW!!!
Good choice! Unfortunately, most major corporations are led around by the nose by the sales division. So, if sales begin to fall, due to situations like the X3 transmission fiasco, this gets more attention than it otherwise would get. Vote with your wallet...My wife's '08 X3 is the major reason that there is also a Mercedes in our garage, instead of an X5.

#383 · (Edited)
Disappointing BMW X3

After a lot of research and this forum along with other forums on the internet, such as Edmunds. I have decided to lease the ACURA RDX instead. It appears to be a safer and wiser choice.

I will go to the dealership this weekend to get my $500 refundable deposit.
The stress of getting this X3 next month and wondering if I'll have similar problems with the transmission is simply too much!!!
I realize that I can take a lot of time out of my days to argue and report this problem to the BBB, obtain a LEMON LAWYER, deal with the dealership and BMWNA and find VARIOUS WEBSITES to report these problems to but I'd rather be worryfree with the ACURA RDX. Although I will miss the terracota leather interior of the BMW X3, I'd rather not be in a LIFE THREATENING situation.

Good luck to you all and remember MANY VOICES is better than 1.

#384 · (Edited)
Options

After a lot of research and this forum along with other forums on the internet, such as Edmunds. I have decided to lease the ACURA RDX instead. It appears to be a safer and wiser choice.
The other option may be the Tiguan as will be mine if BMWNA does not listen (provided I can get one).

It has any of the features of the X3: the tobacco leather interior the 2.0 TFSI engine has been written up as one of the best shifting engines, it has been given Europe's highest safety crash test awards, Xenon lights (standard) the panoramic roof, German handling, etc... and all under $30K.

It is supposed to be in delivery beginning in May.

Attachments

#388 ·
interesting that the next fix will be in September... just in time for the 2009 model line to start production.

and by the way Ev... I just paid $4.25 a gallon in Sacramento, CA.

#394 ·
X3 and BMW's position

I recieved a note yesterday from BMW customer service restating the "no problem found" position frequently mentioned on this board. I currrently own 3 X3's, and was planning on selling my '04 this spring when we acquired the 2008 unit. As we have several gendres of the car, I can firmly state that the shifitng issues with the 2008 are significant. I have indicated the serious dangers to owners posed by this system on both my Consumers Union and JD Powers surveys. I really like the new car, but we are going to keep the 2004 until such time as BMW gives us a "ultimate shifting machine" not the confused system in the 2008. We have one more attempt to repair before we enter the states process (This would be my second visit to the citris process). I hope it is not necessary, but risking injury and terror between now and September when another fix is due is not an option

#395 ·
I have just ordered a X3 and am having reservations about getting the AT. I have no problems getting a MT but as a daily driver i think the AT makes more sense. My CA checked with his service manager for me and he feels that there are no issues (don't flame here, I am just repeating what he said).

I am wondering if there is in fact a fix due in September what are the chances they would incorporate that fix in the production line earlier than that? Is there any way to find out? How long do I have to change my mind from the order date and will it slow the production down if I do?

Thanks

#396 ·
i would get his statement in writing.
as far as how long? did you put a deposit or sign any paper work? if you didn't sign a purchase contract, the car can be sitting on his lot with him on the phone telling you its ready and you are still NOT obligated to buy it.

#397 ·
I do have it in a saved email from my CA. The car is not on the lot and is being ordered. I was told 6 to 8 weeks. I finalized everything just last week. I did read somewhere that you can change options up untill the time production starts. I am not sure thats true and I am also not sure if it will slow production of my unit.

#398 · (Edited)
You may still have time to change options. It is going to be very close. If you are serious about this, call your dealer now.

112 status is the last chance to change options. Last minute changes do not slow production. Cars can go from 112 to production in very little time.

Once that car is in production (status 150) it is too late to make any changes. That car is going to be built the way it was ordered. As long as it an easy to sell configuration , there is no reason why a dealer wouldn't take that car for stock and let you order another one. If you do that then you are looking at 6 to 8 weeks again.

OTOH a dealer is going to be really upset if you try and back out of an X3 with a manual.

#399 ·
I would ask for a written clause that nullifies the "Buyer's Remorse" statement with respect to the AT.

Meaining they take it back if the tranny doesn't work (and the adaptive portion should take less than 500 miles so don't let them delay you).

As far as the September "Update" being incorporated into your vehicle.

I doubt it since BMWNA will not verify it even exists. That would be admitting there is a issue.

This is the biggest problem with this whole fiasco. The consistent "Cloak and Dagger: approach to handling something that is now very public. If they were up front and stop with the "Plausable Deniability" routine they might garner a little patience from many people.

#400 ·
Thanks for the input. I am just struggling with this decision. Like I said, I have no issues with a MT as I have one for my summer toy but with the X3 being a DD and using it to tow my boat I would really like the AT.

I guess if I knew for sure that mine would incorporate the supposed fix or that there is in fact a fix due in September I would stick with it.

I have not recieved a production number yet from my CA. He said it would be a couple of weeks so i have no idea where mine stands.

#401 · (Edited)
He said it would be a couple of weeks so i have no idea where mine stands.
At this point you might have a VIN.

You will have to call your dealer. It only takes a minute to look up your car...

I wouldn't delay on this. If they gave you a production slot that is scheduled for delivery in 5 to 7 weeks, it is either in production now or going into production very soon.

The MT is easy in traffic. The new motor has so much low end torque that you don't need to downshift much. If the car is moving at all, 2nd gear is fine.
The hill holder make hill starts just about a no brainer. We drive a MT in heavy traffic here in ATL but our commute to work is all of 3 miles.

Towing might be more of an issue. How heavy is your trailer?

#406 ·
I can confirm that there is a new SIB coming out in September.

Fortunately, I won't have to worry about it.

#408 ·
As a sign of good faith I wanted to make things as level as possible. If they have one on a lot somewhere gathering dust that meets my needs (at no extra cost) I would be happy to swap.

I won't know until later this week. Also, don't want to jinx things by saying too much.

Once I have it in my hands and everyone is happy, etc......

I would prefer to order though.

#413 ·
because the new model year starts in Sept. so it could mean any number of things... completely new software, completely new trans, or re-worked gearing, new rear end final drive. etc etc.

#414 ·
Still no good

Had the latest update a few months ago--supposedly newer than the Oct. 07 one, and I can't see any improvement. I really don't think they test drive vehicles before they put out the new software. This will be my last BMW unless they can fix this or provide one that won't drive so poorly. I want my '05 325 back.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.