BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2008 X3 - 18" Wheel Option Missing

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Rob V 
#1 · (Edited)
So I went to finalize my order for a 2008 X3 yesterday only to find out that one of the options I wanted (18" Wheels Style 205 - Option 2BP) is no longer available. However, there are several cars on the lot with those very wheels. It appears that those wheels are only available with the ZAP Sport Sctivity Package, however, I saw several X3's, including the demo unit, that had those wheels without the full SAP package. Even the X3 brochure has virtually every X3 shown with those tires and no SAP package. Also, the sales rep showed me the builder on his computer screen listing it as a $500 option and the BMWUSA website shows a $500 tag on those tires as well, although there is no option to actually select it. Now, the sales rep and the manager were nice enough to show me some internal document that went into effect Sept 1, 07 where it showed that those wheels were not an option. HOWEVER, the Denver dealership had a few on the lot that had arrived in Feb. That meant that they were built AFTER that Sept 1 Options Document. Could this option really have disapeared without notification or bulletin to the dealerships? I like the wheels but don't care for the rest of the pacakge (running boards, shadowline, sport sterring wheel & privacy glass).

Are there any dealers out there that know how to get around this? I'm in one of those positions of having to pay more for something I don't want and it might be enough to kill the deal for me. Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks in advanced!

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry you haven't gotten an answer. When I bought mine about a month ago, there were a few on the lot that just had the $500 wheel option and they had just come in with build dates in January 08. I looked at those but ultimately went for one with the SAP so they were already included. Why don't options such as these show on build your own websites, etc?

#5 ·
Well, I LOVE the steering wheel and the shadowline and privacy glass. As for the running boards, I really like the way they look with the stainless steel and black and get a ton of comments about them, but I do have to say that it's a bit awkward getting in and out of the car without dragging your leg across them. I am 6'2 and have just about finally perfected my exit of the car, but I would bet that to a bystander, I look a bit silly throwing myself out a brand new bright red SUV.

So, is it worth it? For me, for the look alone it is, especially the wheels which, ironically, almost look better when they get a bit of brake dust on them because they have a shadow look to them.

#6 ·
What the hell is the difference of the shadowline trim? I have it on my current car but I cannot tell what it is.
thx

#7 ·
The Shadow Line Trim is the plastic surrounding the door frames. Basically the plastic that separates the front windows from the rear windows. The shadow line trim is glossy while standard is matte black.

As for the running boards, you're 6'2" and had to perfect it. I'm 5'3" so image what I would have to do. My other half is even shorter than I am!

#8 ·
Well, that being said, you actually ought to go try one with the running boards out and see as my shorter friends actually like it because they can step on it and out of the car versus awkward me who has to try to step over it each time. As an additional plus, they do make it great to wash the top of the X3.

Any dealers care to comment about whether these wheels can still be ordered?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.