BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2008 Montego Blue X3 Pics

3K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Ninja333 
#1 ·
So I ordered my X3 never having seen Montego in person on an X3 before and I was skeptical. Once I saw my car for th first time I was completely blown away. The X3 itself is SO much improved from the 2005 that I can't even begin to count the ways. The power, quickness, improved leatherette, cabin noise, etc... It's truly a different car and I was totally in love with my 2005. So anyway, I went out and got some proper pics and I will post a few here. The first one is my favorite and is a sort of composite of a few shots. I don't have enough lights to pull this off in one shot so have to do my best.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Stunning Rob. Great work.

BMW NA occasionally monitors this board. They should offer you a job. Ship the Next Gen X3 out to COS for you to photograph.

#6 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I actually didn't get a chance to do all the shots I had in mind. I'll get around to is soon enough. That would be a dream come true if I was contacted by BMW NA for job!!! Although, I'm certain BMW uses advertising companies to take their shots so I would have to be contacted by them. Perhaps they monitor the boards??? LOL. I guessing No.

Anyway, my gear is a Canon 5D and a couple of 580 flashes. The main photo on top was with a 17-40L. I have a couple more shots that I'll post some time today.

#7 ·
I had a Montego Blue X3 as a loaner a few months ago... Gray leather with dark gray poplar trim... Stunning combo!

#9 ·
did you ask what kinda of damage it had? that's a long time to be at the VPC.

#11 ·
Congrats Rob - your new ride looks great ! - I dabble in photography and was drawn to that first photo - just curious , it looks like it was taken at dusk using flash to highlight the X3 - was it this simple or did you use photo software to combine several shots ?- and if so what individual shots were taken before the combine ??

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Uber, Yes, this was taken at dusk just barely at the end of sunset which is why you can see the shadows coming out from underneath. The only shots that were used to layer on top were ones I took just for the sole purpose of lighting that portion of the car simply because I didn't have enough lights. The hood for example was lit with a different exposure and layered on the original. I think I used 3 photos in all.

#16 ·
Rob: excellent shots. I love the combining of images that have been minus a stop and plus a stop to get such a great dynamic range.

kev

#17 · (Edited)
No HDR processing here but it was a similar technique. The reason it may looke like that is because I used the flashes to over power the sunlight. The technique I used was to give the impression of more lights, not necessarily enhance DR. The last shot in particular (with the text) was a single exposure. Not layering, HDR, etc. Just corrected for color and contrast enhanced.

#18 ·
Wow! Stunning photos especially that first one. I love the color you choose. What a beautiful Bimmer.

Enjoy. I certainly am with my 07.

#19 ·
Rob,

Nice work, great color! Congradulations!

Agree with you whole heartedly on the '05 to '08 improvements. The '05 was great but the '08 is almost in another league. Very much improved. I have heard comments like the technology is aging, it's old school, not up with the competition, etc. But I really like the E46 chassis, steering, and suspension, no I-drive, no run-flats, a real spare tire, and straightforward familiar controls. Plus the new N52 motor is top notch. This design is aging well and the updates are a bonus. We synced my wifes cell phone with the onboard bluetooth and it was so seamless and natural. She loves it!

#22 ·
Had an 05 as well and couldn't agree more.

The sunroof design when the roof is open and the newer N52 engine make this like a whole other car but with the same great minimalist design. I love the X3 gauges and low cowl with no clutter on any controls.

I have made some past critique of the slightly bouncy ride in the snow-belt urban jungle but that seems to be a non-issue now. But I would add a Mrs. Dash of compliance if I could.

#21 ·
Seriously man, it took a while to win me over but the color is freaking amazing! More than anything I've received compliments on the color. The only reason it took a while to win me over is because it's so over the top cool and that's not really my style. I'm more laid back, hence my previous Mystic Blue (which was also very cool), but now I can't get enough of it!

#26 ·
Rob,

Congrats on your new ride!

I been in negoiations with my dealer on ordering a new X3 and this thread makes me what to order now!!! The only problem is that the offered me $17,000 for my 2005 as a trade. Did you trade? If so how much did you get?

#31 ·
My 05 was Mystic and while in some shades of light it looks the same for the most part it's WAY different. Especially in direct light. No one ever complimented me on the color of the Mystic Blue but I've heard tons of random compliments on the Montego. Litterally out of the blue people have walked by and said "Nice color!" I really can't say enough about it. You have to keep in mind though...it IS loud! But it's nothing short of amazing. The best way I can describe it is like "turning up the volume" on the Mystic and giving it a much more metalic/reflective quality.

#33 ·
Hey Ninja, thanks for the compliments. :thumbup: The X3 is so sexy that it's hard to take a bad picture of it as your photos show. Looks like you got a nice camera to start with so let me give a few tips. Take the car out to an open road, field, parking lot, anything without a distracting background about an hour before sunset. Park the car so that the sun is to its left or right side and fire away. Don't be afraid of low angles, high angles tilted angles, just play around with it. Set the lens to its widest setting and get up close and set it to it's longest (zoom) setting and stand back but always be sure to fill the frame with the car. Also, don't forget to turn the wheels so that the rims are in plain view. I promise you'll like the end result. Just be sure to share when they're ready.

#35 ·
Well I'm a "wide open" shooter, which means shooting at the len's widest open setting. When I'm using the 50 1.8 I'm almost always shooting at 1.8. That takes some practice though since it gives you such a small depth of field (amount of subject in focus). The 50mm would be a good lens for getting details images of the car such as the lights and interior details. If I'm using a wide angle lens then I like to set it to about f8 or f11. Depending on the amount of light you've got you may have to up your ISO in order to still get a decent shuuter speed though.

A good rule of thumb is to ensure that your shutter speed matches or is higher than the focal lenght you are using in order to avoid motion blur. For example; if you're using a 50mm lens your shutter speed should be 1/50sec or faster, 200mm lens you should have 1/200sec or faster, etc... 99% of all my photos are taken using Aperture Pritorty Mode (Av) and I just let the camera decide the shutter speed but pay attention to the rule of thumb I just listed. If the shutter speed is too slow then I increase the ISO.

Make sense???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.