BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Picke up my new M6 yesterday!! WOW

7K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  gos 
#1 · (Edited)
New M6, picked up yesterday. Pics!!

Just wanted to say hi. This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while, and I wanna thank you guys for helping me out with my decision to purchase my M6. Picked it up yesterday. I'll post some pics tonight just as soon as it stops raining long enough to take it out of the garage. Silverstone, with Gray interior. 1st impression is the car is pretty amazing. I'm still learning the SMG. I've driven 6 speeds all my life, and my 06 Vette convertable is a 6sp. I keep looking for the clutch, and letting up on the throttle when I shift. I hope to be pro by Monday. :) Pics later for sure. Again, thanks guys for all the valuable info that made the decision easy for me.

Steve

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Parkland is West of Ft Laud. and just South of Boca. Small country town in the middle of the city. When U guys mention "Specs" what are U alluding to. The power specs, and dimensions are published all over the net. Help me out with this one. I'll answer whatever I can. Please keep in mind I'm new to this car. Had an 02 745 that was only trouble. NEVER drove an SMG before. Had the Paddles in my BC. Now, you can ask me about my Vette. I pretty much live on that board, and I consider myself an expert. :) :) That 6 speed manual is easy. The M is gonna take some practice. Sat in it most of the day reading the book.

Steve

#5 · (Edited)
What we mean by specs are the options you got.

As for the SMG- I find you can get the quickest, smoothest shift by putting the Drivelogic to the quickest setting and slightly lifting your pedal a tad when you pull the upshift paddle shifter.

Good video of the M5 but it's basically the same thing and you can apply alot of the hints in it to your car- Video

#6 ·
Specifications

We are asking for your car configuration you have.

Example:

I have a 650i Convertible
Silver Grey, SMG, HUD, Beige Interior, Sports Package, AS, ACC,SAT, 6-CD,etc...

You'll find that we on the board, 6er members especially like to know everything you would like to share about your 6er. Navigate your way over to the 6 Series sub-forum and see for yourself.

Cheers!

#7 ·
ahh good old parkland, im right near there

i few of my friends live there, nice area

rele nice car, shes a beast alright

isnt it fun to read up on all the features?

#9 ·
Ok Guys, perhaps I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but when I get there....Here goes, right off the sticker:

MSRP 102,890
Silverstone Metallic
Silverstone li Merino Leather
Comfort Access
Heads up display (Puts the HUD on my 06 Vette Vert to shame)
HD Radio (Sounds like a CD..Amazing)
Satellite Radio

Those are the options.

This car has an amazing amount of standard equipment. I come from a Porshe backround where everything is ala carte. MSRP $100,000. Options $20,000. This was a welcome surprise on the 6.

I have a ton of reading and learning to do. I'll never use the straight automatic. that's 4 sure. I've always hated the Paddle Shifters. Had 'em on a BC, and ALWAYS used the auto transmission. It looks like SMG all the time for me. I played with it today and tried to use the shifter in a couple of different ways. Letting up on the pedal a tiny bit after each shift seemed to work best. I'm sure I'll find many different tricks as I get deeper into the book and the I Drive settings. Part of me is sorry I didn't wat till BMW comes out with the 7 sp manual next year, but what the H*LL. Thanks for the Video. I'll watch it in the Morning. It's 3AM, and I'm BMW overloaded. What an incredable car! ;) :thumbup: :thumbup:

#10 ·
Congrats Steve. I received my Black/ Black,cf interior on 5/24. I also share you tremendous excitement!!! Enjoy and be patient, it's a lot of car to familiarize yourself with. The best way to SMG is to lift the throttle up for 1/2 sec to let the tranny engage. It's really a lot more like a true manual than I thought it would be:) Remember that you are in the dreaded break in period so don't flog the thing too hard. I love the car but I would like to alert you to a few guys on this forum that seem to enjoy bashing the car. don't be discouraged by this, I think it says more about them than the car they criticize. i think it's a fantastic car and I'm sure you will as well. Enjoy the summer in your fabulous ride!! Take care!!
holmesmd

#13 ·
holmesmd said:
Congrats Steve. I received my Black/ Black,cf interior on 5/24. I also share you tremendous excitement!!! Enjoy and be patient, it's a lot of car to familiarize yourself with. The best way to SMG is to lift the throttle up for 1/2 sec to let the tranny engage. It's really a lot more like a true manual than I thought it would be:) Remember that you are in the dreaded break in period so don't flog the thing too hard. I love the car but I would like to alert you to a few guys on this forum that seem to enjoy bashing the car. don't be discouraged by this, I think it says more about them than the car they criticize. i think it's a fantastic car and I'm sure you will as well. Enjoy the summer in your fabulous ride!! Take care!!
holmesmd
No Driving the 6 today, or for the next couple of days. Damn storm season has started early AGAIN :tsk: :tsk:

Why would anyone on a BMW Forum bash a Beamer? I've been on the Vette Forum for years, and no one does anything like that at all. I had an 02 745, and I'd say that car had problems, but I'd go no further then that.

What the H**l. I see what you mean about the be patient. There are so many menus, and sub menus to get into that it will take a while to master. I'm looking forward to the challange.

#14 ·
Yeah Steve,
I was surprised as well but I'm telling you, it happens here. I got into it with a few guys on this forum defending the car. Some self annointed experts that are mad that the car is not a Porsche GT3. I say to them, " Go find a Porche Forum". I just don't want you to have the same unpleasant experience I did. If someone talks some BS, just ignore them and enjoy your ride! The majority of the guys on this forum are cool and very knowledgeable, just beware that not everyone is pro BMW here. This guy named Stuka in particular seems to be one of the individuals I described. I realize that if you really love BMW's M Cars, there is nothing wrong with a bit of critical scrutiny. However some of the statements made go way beyond that. Just wanted to gve you a head's up. How did you get your plates so fast? I'm still waiting for mine. If you get your windows tinted for the hot Florida sun, I recommend Pinnacle Series (ceramic )by Formula One. It looks great on my car 35 front/ 15 rear. Cost around $350.00 out the door. This film does not interfere with any of the vehicle's systems and is very good at repelling heat from the sun. I think it would be perfect for where you live. My M6 is all black and with the huge monster of an engine, it gets really toasty without the air on. I think the film would look really nice on the silverstone and it makes the car look much more aggressive imo. Take care man!

#20 ·
One Thing...

Hey Steve_Miller, I see you are enjoying your Monster (Beauty) and you know what, you should!

FYI, if you waited for the 2007 delivery for you M6 hoping for a 7 speed MT, you would be waiting much longer than 2007. BMW has advised the US that they will no make a 7-Speed MT. The M5/M6 will come with a 6-Speed MT for 2007 (Build year 2008) You have a great tranny, enjoy it.:thumbup:

#22 ·
Kzang said:
Just curious but, your m6 doesn't drive well in the rain? Or you just don't want to get it wet/dirty?

Very nice car :) I can only dream of owning one :thumbup:
I know, it's crazy,,,but it's new, and well.....;) I'm driving it today rain or shine. Sometimes we get a bit nuts with a car like this. I'm sure the auto has no aversion to water as we wash it with H2O :thumbup:

#23 ·
gbelton said:
Hey Steve_Miller, I see you are enjoying your Monster (Beauty) and you know what, you should!

FYI, if you waited for the 2007 delivery for you M6 hoping for a 7 speed MT, you would be waiting much longer than 2007. BMW has advised the US that they will no make a 7-Speed MT. The M5/M6 will come with a 6-Speed MT for 2007 (Build year 2008) You have a great tranny, enjoy it.:thumbup:
I'm reading and learning. Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

#24 ·
Sweet car steve miller and congrats.

#25 ·
:thumbup: Congrats!!

Its always nice to have a difference in opinion. Its only bothers me when someone who has no hands on experince with the m car but decided that the know it all:rolleyes:

The M6 is the king BMW ... if you can afford it:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.