BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

just tried M6, some questions

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  GeneArch 
#1 ·
Folks, my friend has the conv but I just drove a coupe and I think I'm going to get one as a daily driver. Some questions.

When will the 08s be out?
Is there any difference based on production date of 07s?
There's a 3500 leather option on this particular one. I guess that's for the leather on the dash?
Does the trans adapt to your driving after a while? It's nice when gassing it, but felt a little funky just driving around (which is unfortunately what this car will be tortured with mostly)

and of course

What should I pay? I see that some got 1K over invoice on them? If I can't get that kind of deal, better to just get a used one at this point?

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Six week "expert," some answers

Folks, my friend has the conv but I just drove a coupe and I think I'm going to get one as a daily driver. Some questions.

When will the 08s be out?
No one knows for sure but probably September or October.
Is there any difference based on production date of 07s?
No one knows for sure. There are rumours of 550 HP, but they are just rumours. Nothing else. We have seen nothing to confirm this anywhere else except among afficianados here, who are known to stretch a good story to entertain their :grouphug: .
There's a 3500 leather option on this particular one. I guess that's for the leather on the dash?
I think it's dash, interiors of doors, sides of seats and all other surfaces that, on lowlier M6s (like mine) look like leather but are not. (On the coupe that also includes "alcantara" on the headliner. Alcantara is a kind of suede cloth.) I think it's a total waste of $3,500 on the 'vert, but for some colours of leather you have to get it (Portland Brown, for example).
Does the trans adapt to your driving after a while? It's nice when gassing it, but felt a little funky just driving around (which is unfortunately what this car will be tortured with mostly)
No. But after you and the car are broken in the SMG is much better. And when you drive in D mode you can make it almost as smooth as Steptronic.

and of course

What should I pay? I see that some got 1K over invoice on them? If I can't get that kind of deal, better to just get a used one at this point?
As little as possible. PM PhilippeK of this Board for the best deal available. No one believes $1K over MSRP. And that's a delayed production car. A couple thou off MSRP is about the best you can do on the rattlebox (convertible). You can't get a used convertible. If there are any out there for sale they have been fewked up and that's why they are for sale. There are some coupes for sale on eBay, but if you feel lucky you should probably go to Las Vegas and roll the dice instead. Your odds will be better.

#5 ·
We know of only a few. You can now get HD radio and real time traffic. You couldn't in some of the early 2007s. That changed as of March 1, 2007 build date. Apparently BMW added another antenna in the Bangle butt. (I have RTT. A lot of cars have the HD radio, which I think is the waste of another $500. RTT is a feature offered free with the Nav system -- as long as you didn't have HD radio with the earlier build date.) You can also now (post March 1) get any leather color combination with most paint colors. In the past the palette was much more limited.
BTW "Rattlebox" doesn't sound good. Are the convertibles known for rigidity problems?
I had a 650i convertible for 16 months. While many things went wrong with the car and BMW eventually took it back as a :lemon:, lack of rigidity was not one of the problems. However, Chuck92103, a prolific poster on this board (and resident gnome of the 6er forum who has a 645Ci coupe), once claimed that the convertible had such problems, or cowl shake, or would eventually develop them. I called him Lord Vert Hater and told him he was wrong. But I also began to call my convertible a rattlebox, even though it wasn't. Chuck is now contemplating getting a rattlebox himself. The M6 convertible is just as rigid as was my 650i. It is at least as stiff and squeak free as were my SL500s in the late 1990s.

I hope that explains it all.

#7 ·
Mal you crack me up. :rofl:

The thing I noticed most about driving the vert is the weight. Compared to the coupe, it is like driving the car with 4 passengers all the time. There is a huge difference. But if you want a vert, nothing wrong with that. :p

#8 ·
Mal you crack me up. :rofl:

The thing I noticed most about driving the vert is the weight. Compared to the coupe, it is like driving the car with 4 passengers all the time. There is a huge difference. But if you want a vert, nothing wrong with that. :p
Uh, uh, uhhh! Not totally true unless you refer to the PUNY 645Cic, then I would agree, partially but in the 650i (Vert), you would not be able to keep me off your tail-from start to finish...:p

So, the M6-vert is not a compromise in any way shape or form. Yes, I know you never said the word 'Compromise' but your statement, "There is a huge difference", implied it.;)

#11 ·
Congratulations! By the way, my list of changes was incomplete. You can now get soft close doors, something I really could use because it's so hard to close the damn thing with the top up. Good pressure seals.

Post photos and give us details of colors, etc. I recently put in the wind deflector, which cut the wind from "some" to "none" at up to 88 MPH. (I don't have any experience at speeds higher than that with the deflector yet.)

#14 · (Edited)
Post photos and give us details of colors, etc.
Here it is in good company. Car is the metallic gray that has green, or even blue/purple, depending on how sun hits it. Interior is black, with some CF trim.

I'm really enjoying it. Wish I got a chance to drive it more!

http://trapster.net/zmfsm.JPG

#17 ·
careful going used

i just baught a new m6. looked at used first but checked bmw records on specific vins and found lot's of interesting maintenance facts (like rear brakes after 2k miles, then front brakes at 3k miles on one car). you have to assume that whomever buys these cars are going to run them HARD, so I made the call to go new for 10k more roughly (couldn't find a prewoned for less than 95 anyway).

#18 · (Edited)
i just baught a new m6. looked at used first but checked bmw records on specific vins and found lot's of interesting maintenance facts (like rear brakes after 2k miles, then front brakes at 3k miles on one car). you have to assume that whomever buys these cars are going to run them HARD, so I made the call to go new for 10k more roughly (couldn't find a prewoned for less than 95 anyway).
Congrats :thumbup: I was about to go the 'slightly used" route, but my dealer made me a smoking deal on a new 2007. I cannot stop driving it, pure bliss :drive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.