BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Removing 528e trans/sloppy shifting

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jimoreno 
#1 ·
so ive got the exhaust and driveshaft out of the way, however i had heard that when rocking the engine back, you have to remove the radiator hoses and the fan. is this neccesary? Also how many bolts are there that connect the trans to the engine? (just so i can know what to expect) Also replacing some parts of the linkage while the trans is out. Anything else that I should do while I have the trans out?

Thanks

#2 ·
I don't remember removing the radiator or any hose in my 325e when I did it (same engine/transmission combo). I do remember that the bolts are star shaped 12-point. They look like a Torx bit but bigger and standard 12-point sockets work ok. However, you will need a couple of long extensions to access the bolts from the back of the tranny all the way to the back of the engine block (and a good flexible since cheap ones are "too flexible'). I guess by linkages you mean the cable and, yes, it is a good idea because mine snapped on my to Fl from PA back on 2000!

Good Luck!

#3 ·
Cool, I've got everything off, but a couple of the torx bolts. I am having trouble with the topmost torx bolt. any tips on geting it out? i've tried with and without universal joints, rocking the engine and trans back, but i never can quite seem to get the right position....
Any suggestions from someone who has done this before?

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.