BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rims

10K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  G-Moussa 
#1 ·
Hey there gys,
i really want to know what kind of rims look the best on an E39, so far i have been thinking about getting some BBS rims but i want to get to know and learn about other rims before i settle down with the BBS's. if you guys have any suggestions let me know please. thank you.:D

#2 ·
Everyone is going to give you their opinion on what they like. Your best bet is to ask people to post pictures of their cars so you can make your own decision on what you like.

#25 ·
+1 all about what kind of style you are looking for, everyone is different and it will be very hard to get a straight answer.

#3 ·
I am not sure if you are interested in a particular style of wheel, but RDSport makes a really nice wheel that you can take a look at. Here are some photos of them on SidekickChuck's E39 M5 to give you an idea how they would look. One thing you will need to know is the center bore on the E39's is different than the typical BMW. Let me know what style of wheel you are after and I can help point you in the right direction. :thumbup:

#8 ·
*WHEELS*....not *rims*.... (WHEELS have "hubs", "spokes", and "rims")

People will tend to take you more seriously if you use the proper terminology.

Stop by your local Barnes & Noble, and look through a couple of BMW enthusiast magazines....you`ll see LOTS of nice wheels there.

#14 ·
BBS makes great looking wheels but are you really going to spend 4 to 5 thousand on wheels for your 97 528, whats the book value of that car, I think cn90 said 4to 5 grand in a post of his. Get some LM reps and let the haters hate. Check out a memeber name Mack, his ride has the rep LM and they are sweet and under a 1000 bucks no tire. I have no idea what size wheels you are looking to buy, many say 18inch is the sweet spot for the E39 and 19inch is just bling. If you want to spend 5000 bucks on wheels google A.C Shnitzer type 3 wheels, super sweet:thumbup: I have OEM style 42 17inch wheels in storage and OEM style 95 flat black 19inch on my car know and thinking of buying OEM 18inch style 32 wheels. Im just giving my 2 cents. Not knocking the BBS wheels at all I happen to like the LM.

Attachments

#15 ·
Hi

As mentioned, you'll get every answer and recommendation for wheels under the sun, there's way too many. You need to look through this thread;

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/110025-bmw-m5-e39-aftermarket-wheels.html

Make yourself a cup of tea and grab some cookies, it's 124 pages currently! almost every wheel design that looks great on an E39 has a picture posted in this thread.

Next, decide on how much your budget is, what kind of wheels you want in terms of replica, oem, high quality aftermarket or high quality BMW Tuner brand. Then, decide on the sizing you want, 17,18,19 or 20 inch.

Make a shortlist of perhaps 4 or 5 designs you like and buy the set you want.

There's also every opinion as to the brand and quality levels of wheels. In general;

Lowest quality and price = replica
mid level quality and price = reputable brand aftermarket and oem wheels
Highest quality and price = Tuner branded wheels and forged manufactured wheels.

There's many many more reputable brands than just BBS as well !

Personally for me, I'd never put replica's on my cars as I consider wheels a safety item (as well as functional and visual), oem styles are way too common for me, so I've always opted for BMW tuner wheels on my cars as a minimum. I've just saving up now for a set of forged wheels.

Cheers, Dennis!

#16 · (Edited)
Should state: "Best set of wheels for E39 under $1000? Best under $800??
or something like that, to narrow it towards what you're looking for. Wheels like Bryan showed you could be upwards of $5000.

Pretty much any BMW wheel will fit the E39. The bore is different, yes. But it's a 2.1mm difference. So most can easily be custom ordered with the larger center bore.
What's the offset? 20 to 25, guys?

#17 ·
dpe gt-7 18x10 all around

on stock sport suspension

#22 ·
Get wheels that are easy to clean. The fewer the spokes, the easier the cleaning, and the cleaner they are, the better they'll look overall. The wheels shown above in Bryan's post (photo added below) look like a good bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.