BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear Window only going down after replacing regulator!

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  martink13 
#1 ·
Hi,

My left rear window wasn't working at all so after research, decided to replace the regulator and motor unit.

With the new regulator fitted, all was free and i am able to move the glass up and down by hand easily. Fitted the motor unit plugged in and tested.

The window went down, but wouldn't go up! Confused with this, I looked into away of resetting the windows. I tried this and still no better only now, my window is all the way down and am unable to remove the motor unit so I can lift the glass by hand.

please help with this because I'm at a loss.

Thanks

Martin

#2 ·
I just learned this and im not sure it will be any help however, i learned that if the window thinks something is in the way it will automatically go back down, i.e. if your arm is out the window as it's going up and it hits...the window will go back down. I'm sure you've already done so but make sure the track is clear.

#3 ·
I've took the motor unit off the regulator today, and the motor turns but only when trying to go down. So that eliminates the fault being anything to do with the regulator or window. It must be a software issue. I've tried to reset by putting the key in the door and holding 'lock' for 20 seconds and the window didn't move, only now, when I try to open the window it now closes! Not a clue what is happening with this. Is there a way of doing a master reset on the car, disconnect battery maybe??

#4 ·
Just did my drivers front. Try putting the window all the way up. Should be 6mm into door seal. Then loosen the nuts holding the regulator. All at once. Then re tighten. This may help realign the window. Once window goes up and down, you will need to reinitiate the regulator so it goes up and down automatically. To do this you muse close all doors and have engine running. Roll window down using drivers switch. Hold the switch down for +15 but <25 seconds. Then put window up. It should now auto up and auto down. Good luck.

#6 ·
Just did this repair to my drivers front. Try putting the window all the way up with the trim off. It should sit 6mm into upper door seal. Then loosen all the nuts that hold the regulator in. Loosen but not remove. If the window will not go up, loosen the nuts first. Then re tighten and check up and down. Sounds like the window is not aligned exactly.

#7 ·
You will now have to reinitiate regulator so it will auto up and auto down. Close all doors, sit in drivers seat with engine running. With all windows up, roll down the window in question with the drivers control switch. Keep holding the switch after window is down for >15 but <25 seconds. Then roll window up and test. FYI, auto does not work with door open. Good luck!

#12 ·
Might be a dump remark...... but is it the right motor for the for the door? Maybe is the motor upside down or back to front?
Maybe try the motor on another door to proof that the motor functions as it should. Also check the wiring and connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.