BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Official E34 Off Topic Thread

221K views 2K replies 54 participants last post by  gmnmsclM540i 
#1 ·
So what do you like to do other than talk BMW? We have a BMW pic thread, how about other fun things you invest time into. Most anything goes?

I spend time in the mtns in the winter. Doesn't get much better for me:D

We rode Sunday, turned into a blizzard on top of 2+ feet of fresh snow (4-5 feet of base). Had an epic ride but my pony broke down on the way out. Failed planetary gearset in the transfer box. We had to leave her in the woods. Had more FAIL Monday trying to attempt a rescue, broken front driveshaft on my buddies big Dodge. Tues morning I replace the driveshaft, pull the part I need off another sled in the fleet and off we go into the woods. Now it is a perfect sunny day, and the snow was untouched. Fixed the sled in under 30 mins on the snow and RODE till dark.

Couple pics.

Had to chain up to plow the road Sunday am...

The blizzard, this was about 3pm Sunday...

Tuesday, FAT Tuesday here baby!!!

See less See more
#270 · (Edited)
Saw my car today. :(

I stopped and spoke to the new owner.

He hadn't done anything to it because he hadn't had time.

I did something pitiful though.

I'm buying it back.:D:thumbup::roundel::freakdanc::banana:
Yes I missed it that much.

#274 · (Edited)
Ya DIY for new commers that shows them how to make a thread with nessasary info to benefit everyone more.

Basic layout sheet..

Model
Year
Motor
Trans
Mileage

Your Issue

Your Symptoms

Sounds? If so what? Are they speed or rpm related

Sound clip link/photo links

For how long has it been like this?

Is it constant or recurring?

Recent work done to anything? Or had other issues before?

Does your CEL come on too ? Code?

Does it happen at certain times, places, conditions?

What does not feel right when you drive?

Room for notes-

Just something like that you can expand on. All those questions were gona have to ask anyways.. they copy it and fill it out so we get as much info to begin with as possible. Or am i just smoking to much..

#275 ·
Ya DIY for new commers that shows them how to make a thread with nessasary info to benefit everyone more.

Basic layout sheet..

Model
Year
Motor
Trans
Mileage

Your Issue

Your Symptoms

Sounds? If so what? Are they speed or rpm related

Sound clip link/photo links

For how long has it been like this?

Is it constant or recurring?

Recent work done to anything? Or had other issues before?

Does your CEL come on too ? Code?

Does it happen at certain times, places, conditions?

What does not feel right when you drive?

Room for notes-

Just something like that you can expand on. All those questions were gona have to ask anyways.. they copy it and fill it out so we get as much info to begin with as possible. Or am i just smoking to much..
good idea, but I doubt people will copy paste all that.

Just K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) Give us all the info you can pics are helpful, videos are excellent. But as long as we have the proper info we can assist.

Otherwise sled may reach through your computer screen and commence to bash you like your name was Robertbaggio or whatever his name was.:thumbup:

#277 ·
unable to make a title bold, but i have added an exclamation mark, probably the first thread ever that i have used those smiley icon things in a title to be honest :rofl:

perhaps the best thing to do going forward is just post a simple responce with a hyperlink to that thread. though that will come across a bit rude. But i can see where you are coming from for sure.

Maybe i should add it into my signature as well, my current one is out dated now i dont have my E30, got an E36 now, but i drove it 3km's back to my house after buying it and i havent driven it since, just been sitting at the back of my property. just dont have time to deal with it at the moment and no idea what im going to do with it :rofl:

#281 ·
that red is actually horrible in real life, and the red consoles are even worse. actually all the coloured interiors are. Some of you may remember my smurf 525i/M50 i had, was blue car blue dash blue leather etc. there is a tan/sandy type colour that you can get as well, very rare though, that looks okay. but looks like you had white that had coffee spilt on it. There is also green available, also quite rare. Ill rock my cream all day every day. the black okay. think thats the only 6 colours

#289 ·
I think Pat (shapeshifter) has or had the same ones for sale (or were the Rks. can't remember)
They weren't diamond black but they were decent.

#292 ·
Never been raced.... ya sure. It has track tires, track suspension mods and enough power mods to make it seriously fast. On glaring red flag for me is a stock fuel pressure regulator on a car running way more fuel than stock. If you turn the boost on that baby, expect the headgasket to pop. BTDTx3

Maybe not tracked by this owner as the greasy stuff underneath wouldn't pass tech but I bet it was, as most of these have been. Also looks to have the trans cooler which almost always means a LSD as well.

Lots of car for the price! Better have deep pockets if you want to run it hard though.

#294 · (Edited)
Theres a cool guy down the street from me with e36 m3, a red 944 thats kind of a daily and a gutted track 944 turbo.. The turbo still is not quite as fast as my 540i in a straight line..

wikipedia shows the 944 turbo is 3000 pounds, with only 220 hp and 243 tq..

http://944turbo.net/?page_id=83 shows - 220 bhp & 2998 pounds. 0-60 in 6.0 and 14.2 quarter mile.. Not that bad, not nearly enough to make me want it

To me having the engine in the back is what makes a porsche cool.. So to me there like a step below a boxter being equally fast...

Your 540i is MORE machine than a 944

I want an old wide body 911 or something some day, just love the looks!

fck jdm / fck honda

#304 ·
Theres a cool guy down the street from me with e36 m3, a red 944 thats kind of a daily and a gutted track 944 turbo.. The turbo still is not quite as fast as my 540i in a straight line..

wikipedia shows the 944 turbo is 3000 pounds, with only 220 hp and 243 tq..

http://944turbo.net/?page_id=83 shows - 220 bhp & 2998 pounds. 0-60 in 6.0 and 14.2 quarter mile.. Not that bad, not nearly enough to make me want it

To me having the engine in the back is what makes a porsche cool.. So to me there like a step below a boxter being equally fast...

Your 540i is MORE machine than a 944

I want an old wide body 911 or something some day, just love the looks!
Read the guys ad a little closer. The Lindsey Racing mods have it putting out way more than 220 hp. Mine, once modded was able to run 12.5 in the QM, and gutted they are more like 2500-2600 lbs. It will flat smoke your 540.... twice on Sundays;)

The 944T is much faster than a Boxster around a track stock vs stock. I did have an e46 M3 give me a pretty good run one weekend at Road America though.

Porsche's are a different deal. None of them are really drag racers, they just are not meant for that. They are the ONLY brand you can take to the track and they are ready to run. Your 540 would be in the pits with smoked brakes trying to keep up with that little car.

I've had three Porsches, never had one with the engine on the back. 911's are sweet machines but pricey.

The 968 is a pretty nice car, almost as fast as the turbo's on the track but the turbo's are so much easier to mod, just a simple chip swap puts them way beyond the 968 in performance.

#296 · (Edited)
If I was in the market for a porsche I'd get a 968 (same as a 944 turbo just better)
Only because anyone with a 911 (widebody, targa, slantnose, or gtr) will not give them up easily.

Again ( this is telling me to call him stat) shapeshifter is the one to talk to about them.

I don't know the curb weight but from speaking to him on many occasions...
Those cars are quick and surpass a boxer. A boxer is entry level.

#297 · (Edited)
Finally plated the car today.

Was going to give it a well deserved bath but it's trying to rain.

Let the big guy upstairs handle it for me tonight :thumbup:

Here's 2 shots:

Though I still have my racing seats. I think I'll keep these in till I can find the leather to replace the wear spots.
Before it's asked or said.
Yes these are the same seats I imported last year that got me in trouble.

The Buyer I sold them to that faithful day (that saturday before sandy and my own crap storm) was trying to put them in a e24 only to fail.
So he put them on Craigslist and Ebay.
I called him, drove out to Manville, NJ and picked them back up.

#299 ·
Finally plated the car today.

Was going to give it a well deserved bath but it's trying to rain.

Let the big guy upstairs handle it for me tonight :thumbup:

Here's 2 shots:

There's a guy on bfc who knows all about restoring leather. M50goods. Bought a trashed up touring and is bringing it back to life. Its seats were waay worse than yours and the before and after almost can't be believed. You should send him your pictures and ask him.

And your high beams can be cleared up easy. Just did that and ran a post about it earlier this week. Clear lights look great with black grills.

#303 ·

Crosshairs

#306 · (Edited)
I was in a threesome with a couple 968's in my club:yikes: Two of my buddies each had black 968 coupes and I had the 944T. Stock it is a pretty fair race, we raced a LOT. With bolt-on engine mods on the 944T and pretty equal drivers I was able to pull 2 seconds a lap on them, it would redline in fifth on the long straights at 165. The 944T can be built pretty sick for not a lot of dough. You just need to be VERY careful who's tune you run. Add in near 30 mpg on the highway, driven sanely, and a very strong unibody. I have seen them crash, roll multiple times and back in the pits, without a straight panel or any glass, the roof never touched the cage anywhere.

I am very impressed with these cars. They have limits, it ain't no Supra turbo, it wont hold much more than 18 lbs of boost for long, the headgasket wont hold it. Several aspects of working on it are a serious pia. Still, I will do it again once my kids graduate in a couple more years. I would consider a 968, they are definately more durable than the turbos, and the power is decent if you do not live at altitude. I will have another turbo, a Turbo S in fact, they come with several nice upgrades over the eariler cars including factory coil overs and big brakes.

I am rambling.... sorry.

#308 ·
I was in a 3 way once.. Did not go well for one of the others.. After the finish line me and the other guy. Ya know, stopped.

The other, nah kept going.. Till there was no road.. Got f***'d..

I guess as with all 3 ways, at least one person has gotta take the punishment. Lol

You know, They carry our loads for us.. Ok that was to far.. Sorry haha

#309 · (Edited)
I was in a 3 way once.. Did not go well for one of the others.. After the finish line me and the other guy. Ya know, stopped.

The other, nah kept going.. Till there was no road.. Got f***'d..

I guess as with all 3 ways, at least one person has gotta take the punishment. Lol

You know, They carry our loads for us.. Ok that was to far.. Sorry haha
:confused:

Sled that's crazy. There's a guy near me who has a 944t modded up pretty heavy.
He balanced a turbo for me not too long ago.
Just reading your story makes me have that porsche itch again.
But again can't find one close to me that some kid hasn't abused or been rusted over. (northeast climate sucks)

#312 · (Edited)
Says "at least" 1 person, as in 1 or 2... Its just a mathmatical fact.

Anyways- a quote from MMA wrestlers..

" its is only gay, if you make eye contact!" Hahahaha

#316 ·
:confused::confused:: puke:

Before anything else is said...

slowly and quietly walk away from the computer.

#313 ·
How's this for off topic. I just killed an approximately 2.5 foot long copperhead snake in my garage :eek: I opened the door to grab my trash can and .. bam .. there he was two steps below on the concrete. He got cozy under some junk laying around. I could see the last 1/4 of his body, so I pinned that with a flat shovel while my terrified wife got me my ax :behead:

That's one dead snake right there.

Poor wife. She won't sleep a wink tonight :(

#325 ·
No pics or videos? That would be pretty cool to see.

#318 ·
Oops... sorry if I'm a little late

#320 ·
Good question. Don't know if I will make it this year.
With moving and trying (more like trying to find time) to boost the car.
I may be too strapped for cash to make the trek.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.