BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2000 e38 tranny / swap with 2001 tranny?

605 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ernestgalvan 
#1 ·
My e38:
12/1999 build
tranny id:
Serial: 0272276
ZF Spec: 1058 000 021
BMW #: 1 423 302

donor e38:
06/2000 build
tranny id:
Serial: 0308013
ZF Spec: 1058 000 022
BMW #: 1 423 304

the donor tranny is a StepTronic according to a BMW mechanic.

I pulled tranny...
and just in case I needed them I also pulled ALL cables/harnesses attached to tranny, both control boxes (found inside fusebox),
along with COMPLETE shifter assembly (minus the wood handle .... major brain freeze on my part...)

will this tranny work? can it be swapped out without changing shifter/wires/ecm?

or does it need all the associated stuff?

is there a "how-to" anywhere? I figure I'm not the first to try this...

(original tranny will at times not work.. if I coast to a stop from more than 20mph, it will need to be rev'ed up, else no drive...
if instead of coasting to a stop, I keep my foot on the gas, and keep rpm above 1,000 it will almost always drive away after stopping.,.,,.

at times it throws the "fail-safe" warning, not always.

ALWAYS if the tranny fails to engage, if I turn ignition off and wait at least three seconds to re-start car, tranny works well...

never had a problem in reverse, never a problem at speeds above 20mph.

in a related problem,,, when pulling away from a dead stop at mild acceleration, if i make a turn, it feels as if the brakes are slammed on, and tranny usually slips...
no brake feel/tranny slip if I accelerate straight on...

(yes, I have the Trifecta lights on...another project..
I pulled all four ABS sensors and ABS module from donor car.,.. hoping these will help some)

See less See more
#2 ·
Both tranny's are the same only the shift selector and associated hardware are different to make it a steptronic. So if you got all of that I would change that as well - you will need the different plate on the console as well.
Steptronic will look like this.....will work with the different shifter.

#3 · (Edited)
As I said in my first post ,,,I pulled EVERYthing that was connected to the tranny...
it's a 400mile round-trip to that junk-yard... so I didn't want to leave something I MIGHT need...
( tho I found out my buddy forgot to snag the cooler lines..)

pix of the boot and plate.... top and bottom...yes... deep cleaning is not optional.. :)

actual shifter mechanism is in garage, so no pix right now..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.