BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21" Versus 22"

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  First_745Li 
#1 ·
Hello guys i just purchased a 2006 750i sport package :D and need advice on purchasing wheels. Please keep in mind that i drive about 90 miles per day, 5 days a week.

Heres some background:
I had a 750Li (Sig Pic) about a month ago and i had purchased 22" Asanti AF128's with 3" lip in front (255/35/22 tires), and 3.5" in the back (295/30/22 tires). These wheels were made for a Chrysler 300 so i had the center bore custom drilled to fit my car car along with having it drilled for my 5X120 bolt pattern, and then i had everything balanced and aligned. The car drove very sluggish with the wheels but looked good lol. Im pretty sure it drove like that because the wheels were adjusted to accommodate my car.

Now i am in the market for some wheels and am considering the 21" 128 style wheels which i see alot of members have. I found a good deal with some nice pirelli tires. I will just get them painted jet black to match my car. My other option are some 22" Asanti's 3" lip up front and 5" in the back but this time they will be made for a BMW from the factory.

Which wheels should i get :dunno:? What are the pro's and cons of each in ride quality and performance? The price is not an issue as i am able to get either set for fairly the same price. I dont want to buy them and just have to sit them in the garage again if they are going to ride sluggish. Please help me with any advice you have.

Thank you all!!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
If you put the wrong tire size on your 22's then it can feel sluggish. As well if the wheels are heavier or as heavy as the factory ones they can cause slugishness. This is due to 3 reasons:

1. Rotational weight is equal to about 3x stationary weight, so a heavier wheel will require 3x the power to move compared to adding normal weight to the car.

2. The further the weight is pushed AWAY from the hub (IE a 22" rim vs an 18" rim) the more energy is required to move it.

3. A larger OVERALL diameter of the tire/wheel combo can effect the "final drive" of the car. If the wheel/tire are larger than factory size then the car is effectively "geared up" so it feels like your driving the car in 1 gear higher than it should be. Similarly if you decrease it it'll gear down and feel like your 1 gear lower.

#4 ·
If you put the wrong tire size on your 22's then it can feel sluggish. As well if the wheels are heavier or as heavy as the factory ones they can cause slugishness. This is due to 3 reasons:

1. Rotational weight is equal to about 3x stationary weight, so a heavier wheel will require 3x the power to move compared to adding normal weight to the car.

2. The further the weight is pushed AWAY from the hub (IE a 22" rim vs an 18" rim) the more energy is required to move it.

3. A larger OVERALL diameter of the tire/wheel combo can effect the "final drive" of the car. If the wheel/tire are larger than factory size then the car is effectively "geared up" so it feels like your driving the car in 1 gear higher than it should be. Similarly if you decrease it it'll gear down and feel like your 1 gear lower.
Wonderful information very informative.

#7 ·
Read posted #2.

#10 ·
Can't go woring with the 128's....they look fabulous!!!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.