BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

UK Electronic Brochures

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  crazybones 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just to let you know that you can now download brochures for the E90 from BMW UK at:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/apm/new_bmw/mid/print/0,4479,1156_1490__bs-Mw%253D%253D%252Bbb-TEk%253D,00.html

Select "digital brochure to your desktop" and then Saloon (March 2005) from the droptown menu under bodystyle.

I've ordered a 325 in Sparkling Graphite with the 17" double spoke style 161 wheels and sports suspension. My concern is that the run flats coupled with sports suspension will ruin the ride. Car magazine suggested avoiding the 18" wheels and sports suspension and I'm wondering whether the 17's will help. Any views?

CB

#2 ·
crazybones said:
I've ordered a 325 in Sparkling Graphite with the 17" double spoke style 161 wheels and sports suspension. My concern is that the run flats coupled with sports suspension will ruin the ride. Car magazine suggested avoiding the 18" wheels and sports suspension and I'm wondering whether the 17's will help. Any views?

CB
But the 18s look awesome!!

In the US, having style 162 on a 325i is not an option. I feel I am getting a raw deal being stuck with the 161 wheels. Especially with the car being bigger than the outgoing model, seems to me 17s look comparatively smaller...no?

#3 ·
Blax said:
Especially with the car being bigger than the outgoing model, seems to me 17s look comparatively smaller...no?
Agreed - my present E46 has 18" wheels, but the ride on UK roads is terrible at times and tramlining regularly occurs, particularly on motorways on the inside lane where trucks have worn the road surface. My thoughts are that the addition of stiffer side walls to enable the tyres to run flat, will make it worse.

CB

#4 ·
crazybones said:
Agreed - my present E46 has 18" wheels, but the ride on UK roads is terrible at times and tramlining regularly occurs, particularly on motorways on the inside lane where trucks have worn the road surface. My thoughts are that the addition of stiffer side walls to enable the tyres to run flat, will make it worse.

CB
If the recent rash of road tests is anything to go by, BMW appears to have fixed the run-flat/suspension mismatch with the E90, and the ride of the new car is at least as good as the outgoing, non-run-flat-equipped car. However the ride of the old car with 18" wheels on British backroads was so poor that it adversely affected handling stability, especially as the M-Sport models (which generally came with 18" wheels) were the most firmly sprung.

Personally I would still opt for sports suspension. The uprate compared to standard has historically not been quite as extreme as the M Sport variety, which is doubtless in the pipeline - and I find the standard set-up a little on the soft side, particularly in terms of roll. I might also pick a 17" rimless design - if there is one - to make them look bigger; the E90 looks like a *very* big car to me, and with wheels any smaller I think it might look a bit daft.

#5 ·
andy_thomas said:
However the ride of the old car with 18" wheels on British backroads was so poor that it adversely affected handling stability, especially as the M-Sport models (which generally came with 18" wheels) were the most firmly sprung.
You're spot on with your comments. The present M-Sports models are so firm, that it actually detracts from the handling on B roads. The new 3 Series is longer and wider, although is actually weighs less due to the new alloy used in the engine and the lack of a spare wheel.

The car needs at least 17" wheels to fill the arches and the sports suspension will help by lowering the car by 15mm. The spec you suggest is exactly what I've ordered ie 17" wheels with sports suspension. I spend 3 hours a day in the car on all road types and whilst I love driving and having a decent handling car, I do need some ride comfort! My current car crashes from one pot hole to the next!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.