BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW dashboard / instrument clusters failing

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ju_le_new 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there,

I'm having a trouble with my 1993 320i (5spd standard)'s instrument cluster and I'd appreciate some help!

Today, I noticed that when I turned on my engine, my instrument cluster stopped working : All the gauges but the speedometer didn't work. My rev counter, my gas level, my engine temperature and my mileage are actually dead but the speedometer and the background lighting are still working.

It's important to say that the last owner of the car has changed the instrument cluster due to failure and since then, all the gauges seemed to reset randomly : they stopped working for a few seconds and then started working again. I noticed that i could temporary fix the problem by gently hitting the dashboard (this would reset the instrument cluster instantly), but this is no use now because the gauges aren't working anymore:(

I heard that these e36 were known for having these kinds of problems but I did not find precise information for the e36, so if anyone can help me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and sorry for my english.
Julien

See less See more
#3 ·
+1 above. Check all of the connections. If they were intermitten and now don't work at all it would most likely be a loose connection. The only other possibilty would be a new alternator, but in your case I doubt it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.