BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

what is a competition package?

3K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Devil Doc 
#1 ·
what is a competition package? Is it as important to have on an M3, as sports package is to a bmw?

#3 ·
bmw330pp said:
If you like Interlagos Blue and some nice rims.......yeah it is important.:thumbup:
:rofl:

Good one.

There's also some other aspects of it:
Tighter Steering ratio
Bigger brakes w/ cross drilled rotors
M-Track mode - limts DSC without completely disabling it
Bitchin Alcantara steering wheel
No cruise control or steering wheel buttons (except for the M-Track mode button)

and

The afforementioned killer rims (just like the one's in the sig pic)

#5 ·
thats was a great link to answer the question I had i mind, for when i started to look at the sticky M3 pricelist at
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54555&d=1122480993
the description of competition packages was quite vague to pay close to 4k for it didnt seem to make much sense, but after your pretty good explanation of what is it, its definitely a must of an M3 owner to have, otherwise I cant see having a M if you are just going to let come shy/short to being a full performance car.
That would be a definite must then like an ZSP is to a BMW car :thumbup:
Now my next homework is to see if SMG or MT is better suited for an M.

#7 · (Edited)
bren said:
can you kindly explain pls, for Im really trying to do my homework here, and learn what my last trophy car should be.
Are competition package not worth the 4k then, for performance or resale!
maybe you have something up you sleeve that you may wanna share, for Im eager to see what your feelings or experience have been
..or maybe just a little jealous perhaps that yours didnt come with it! I understand we feel like that from time to time! human nature!

#10 ·
No, ZCP or competition package has nothing to do with the seating choices. You can power or manual, adjustable lumber/width or not, sunroof or not, MT or SMG, leather or cloth, xenons or not, HK or not, heated seats or not, cold weather package or not, nav or not, premium package or not etc. Without Nav you get no bluetooth though. And, any current color you choose though the interlagos blue is only available on the ZCP for the M3. And, the special ZCP trim is only available on the ZCP.

Regards,
Marc

Power M Sport Seats w/adj. Seat back width (I believe you can get this as a standalone option without ZCP)

#14 ·
AJAX said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's your $4K. The consensus here seems to be the only thing worth having is the steering rack. Again, search the forum.
Admittedly, that is kinda funny. Especially since Bren's avatar is a picture of him picking up his ordered car at some ED facility (I think)

The steering rack is nice, to be sure, but I also loooove the wheels. I'm not a big fan of the style 67 wheels. The 163, however are veeeeery nice :thumbup:

#20 ·
Devil Doc said:
I could have had a competition package but chose not to. I want Brembo brakes and forged BBS RS-GT rims. I would like to have the steering wheel. I am sure that it can be purchased and installed. Just have to watch out for the airbag.
True, but you don't get 'track mode dcs'. How much are a set BBS RS-GT's with tires and a set of Brembos? $8K?

#22 ·
LinkF1 said:
How often will you use 'track mode dcs'? Many(proabably most) people who are tracking it or auto-xing will turn traction control all the way off even if they had a track mode. :confused:
I've used the M track mode for DSC on the track :confused: Go figure.....

I have recently started using the M track mode on my daily commute as the DSC on the M can be annoying at times.

#23 ·
Why do you need track mode DCS? Isn't the fun of racing learning to drive your car? My 330ci is more fun to drive when its off. It is so much easier to correct understeer by spinning some rubber. I could have had a competition package but chose not to(second time). Second of all you drive a 330ci. I am talking about an M3. You don think BBS forged rims are superior to the cast "lightweight" ones on your car? I just voiced my opinion on how my car will be set up. If your jealous because you do not have the disposable income to play like me, that is your own fault. HA!

Rims and tires are 5600.00 without delivery.
Brakes closer to 4-5k.

#24 ·
LinkF1 said:
How often will you use 'track mode dcs'? Many(proabably most) people who are tracking it or auto-xing will turn traction control all the way off even if they had a track mode. :confused:
I use track mode more often that I thought I would. It allows more wheel spin and greater slip angles for spirited driving while maintaining a level of safety should I over cook it a bit. Haven't tried it in competitive driving.

I noticed no one answered the BBS/Brembo cost question.

#26 ·
I thought that both questions were answered. I am just stating facts. Did you not buy your car with its options exactly how you wanted it? I actually want a 2007 M3 but did not want to wait. I will deploy again next year and want to play now. Your not a Brit are you? Pompous is not a generally accepted American term. I like jackass. That sounds like me.

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
George Orwell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.