BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1983 320i Upgrades

14K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Jester323 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine has a 1983 320i and is wondering what he can do to spice up the performance a bit. Also, are there any external upgrades people do to these cars?

Links and advice is very welcome!

Thanks!

#3 ·
if you wanna know something about interior/exterior ask me.im all about the look. as far as performance goes, im clueless.but yeah, he could throw a body kits on it or some lowering springs, hood/roof scoop, spoilers, tints, neons, stereo system, paint interior knobs and vents,ect. could go on all day. but yeah im real big into it so if you have any Q's let me know.

#4 ·
you got a lot of options... theres turbo kits i know for sure, and i'm not sure but i do believe there are procharger systems out there?... cams, forged internals, stroker crank/rods, computers, injectors, intake, exhaust. theres a LOT you can do.

as far as exterior... the simpler the better... tint, lowering, small body kit, maybe a SMALL deck lid spoiler?... stereo is a MUST.

#8 ·
Actually, I think he just said "computers" not "CPU upgrade". A CPU upgrade on the E21 is not possible, due to the fact that there isn't a CPU to begin with. Yes, you can add a computer, but I would recommend either a straight swap from an E30 318i and bringing over all the EFI, or, if you want a more tunable project, bring over half of the E30 318i system and go Megasquirt.

There isn't much in the way of bolt-on engine performance upgrades for these cars. The world is your when you consider, internals, upgrading to a M20 6cyl, etc.

If you want to make the car more fun to drive, focus on the suspension, strut bars, urethane bushings, urethane subframe mounts, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.