BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How long should I have to wait for documents?

885 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  FlyingLow78 
#1 ·
I completed negotiations with the dealership I'm using for my ED back on 5 August. I provided copies of my passport and driver's license to the sales manager the same day.

On 14 August I received my production number and I've been checking it daily on My BMW. I've changed my order slightly since then, and my salesman has promptly sent me revised pricing, but I have yet to see a purchase order or a power of attorney form. How long should I expect to wait for these documents to be sent? I know the PO is due to BMW NA in NJ NLT 30 days before delivery.

Am I being too impatient or is my salesman dragging his feet?

#2 · (Edited)
I usually don't get the POA form until maybe 3 weeks to go. I don't sign the Purchase Order or fork over my $ until literally a day or two before I leave for MUC. If you are a month out you might email your CA and ask him what the timeline for doc signing is. Every dealership seems to have different rules from what I've read here. For example, I've heard people giving deposits but I've never even been asked -- just pay full amount before I leave. As long as you have a production# you really shouldn't worry. Your dealer doesn't want to be left holding an unclaimed ED car because of its own negligence.

#3 ·
Funny u posted this... I signed my deal on August 9th so seems like we r having the same experience. My CA literally just called me right now and told me I had to come in right away to get that stuff signed or else I would miss my deadline.... Mind u I was there yesterday to resign a new PO cuz I added something to the car.

I had asked repeatedly that I know there is paperwork and when my passport would be needed. They said they only received this notice from bmwna today everything has to be submitted 30 days before pick up. My response... U got it cuz ur late not cuz they are notifying u to do it now. now I have to rush in to get it all signed and sent off

Call them up. My pick up is oct 4th. I didn't know there was a 30 day deadline prior to pick up for paperwork. Otherwise I would have pushed them more.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#5 ·
Funny u posted this... I signed my deal on August 9th so seems like we r having the same experience. My CA literally just called me right now and told me I had to come in right away to get that stuff signed or else I would miss my deadline.... Mind u I was there yesterday to resign a new PO cuz I added something to the car.

I had asked repeatedly that I know there is paperwork and when my passport would be needed. They said they only received this notice from bmwna today everything has to be submitted 30 days before pick up. My response... U got it cuz ur late not cuz they are notifying u to do it now. now I have to rush in to get it all signed and sent off

Call them up. My pick up is oct 4th. I didn't know there was a 30 day deadline prior to pick up for paperwork. Otherwise I would have pushed them more.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Haven't you read the ED Wiki??

#6 ·
The sooner you get the PO taken care, the sooner you can relax and enjoy getting ready for your trip. I highly recommend having your CA get this done for you sooner rather than later or you'll be stressed out overnighting it to BMW. Also, don't forget to sign the PO Power of Attorney EXACTLY like you signed your passport. They are very serious about this and will reject your signature and then you'll be in a serious bind if its the last minute.

#9 ·
My documents arrived today, but had the old delivery date I requested, so it's off by one day. I'm going to get in touch with my CA this morning to see if I can just pen & ink a change or if he will want to send a whole new form. Also, the power of attorney signature has me a little worried. My signature has changed quite a bit since I signed my passport and I don't know if I can make it look similar enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.