BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2011's are starting to show on the streets

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  bigrobb2 
#1 ·
I have seen: White, Sapphire, Bronze, Blue, Silver..............

#2 ·
I have yet to see any (but mine) but I know the dealers around here are selling them as fast as they arrive. Don't forget to punch!

#3 ·
I thought today was my lucky day. I finally saw a 2011 Alpine White behind me at a stop light in Richmond Hill, Ontario. This was my first sighting of a 2011 on the road. Then the driver turned off into BMW Canada's head office :( I'm not sure that one really counted since it could be an executive demo but at least I saw one on the road finally.

#6 ·
^^ you are seriously joking right? ^^ :stickpoke

#9 ·
I didn't like the bottom portion of the rear bumper. As far as the "large hunk of plastic", I actually like the older bumper (front and rear) because it makes the X5 look more rugged. If you're into the Cayenne or a "sportier" look, then I can see why you would prefer the 2011 bumpers.

For me, I want a rugged but sporty SUV. For non-SUV's, I prefer the "cleaner" look. But, to each their own.:thumbup:

#11 ·
I know that there are some around Austin because they have been disappearing off the dealer lot, but I haven't seen them driving around.

However, when we were driving back from lunch the yesterday, my friend said that we turned the head of a Cayenne S driver (she says a full 180). I didn't notice -- I was looking at his car. His was Platinum Grey too -- perhaps he was wishing he had a pretty BMW like mine :).

#13 ·
My mother got the first X5 50i in her city about 7-8 weeks ago, and even though there are a few since then, the car still turns heads. She had a lady follow her in the parking lot of her local grocery chain recently so that she could ask her about it and take a look inside.

I have the only X5 50i in my town currently, and I get the same head turning response.

#14 · (Edited)
How can you tell the difference without a close inspection. To me, unless they have a paper dealer's plate, they all look the same at a casual glance. I saw an X5M (I know only because it was parked next to me and I looked at it carefully) that looked no different than a plain jane 3.0 at a glance. The 4 pipes on the rear end of course set it somewhat apart. I guess I am just not attuned to the minutia of the subtle changes in X5 design. At a stop light yesterday there were 4 X5's stopped together. It looked like a photo from a car magazine. They are all over the place around here, almost as many as RX's.

#15 ·
I can tell the difference without even trying.
The bumpers and rear lights make a big difference in my eyes.

Then again I can even tell the difference between car models at night just by the front and tail lights.

Some people are more in tune with cars than others. Some people can't tell the difference between a silver BMW and a silver Lexus, unless they look at the badge.

#16 · (Edited)
You are right! I have noticed a marked similarity between all the SUV/SAV products (except the R-Series which is ugly). I thought a Highlander was an X5 from the back and looked at a Mitsui Montero and thought it was an X3 from the side. Same thing with a Hyundai and a Kia. The wind tunnel testing/styling has seemingly morphed things together IMHO. In any event they all look to me like a '52 Chev Panel Truck from the back anyway. Glad you can tell the difference at a glance, I sure can't.:rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.