BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Winter Tires Rental Program

90K views 205 replies 78 participants last post by  john lance 
#1 ·
Actually, not so new as I was about to start the program last year but coincidentally the official BMW tire rental program was announced a few days before my website was ready! I thought it prudent not to compete. Now that there is no official Winter tire rental program offered with ED, I would like to let Bimmerfest members know that my program is now up and running - details at http://www.edwintertires.com - and at very affordable rates!

Winter tires, already mounted on aluminum wheels, are fitted and returned to the tire depot in Garching (close to Harms drop-off center). The original wheels are stored there too, for free, for the duration of the rental term - and other accessories including snow-chains, cell-phones, child seats and Sat-Navs will also be available.

#2 ·
:bow::beerchug::banana::clap:

Thank you John for stepping up and set :thumbup: this up for fellow bimmerfesters. You are the man!!!

I will make this a sticky thread. Thank you!!:)

beewang:bigpimp:
Forum Moderator

#4 ·
This is not through BMW, but a member here on Bimmerfest. He is continuing the tradition of helping those that want to take delivery in Munich. As Beewang operates a nav loaner system, John has arranged the same for tires and other items. Correct me if I am wrong but that is the way I interpreted it. All the same thanks John for getting things rolling as it were!

Best of luck!:thumbup:

#5 ·
John, I wonder if down the road, you can work with BMW to allow the car to be shipped with winter tires back to U.S. Another words, I pick up the car, have the tires replaced to the new winter tires that I will have bought, not rented, then return the car as is and have the original tires shipped back to U.S. This option would be good for those of us who need to buy winter tires anyway. Although with current exchange rate, who knows.

#9 ·
New Winter Tires Rental Program.
John, I think this is a great idea.

Now, if we hook you and Rolf up together, it will be EDENTERPRISES.COM. :angel:

And we'll let you sell copies of my calendar too of course :)

#11 ·
550i requires 17" tires.

#16 ·
sensors

John,
Not sure if it's already a part of the work, but 2007 and later models with flat tires require the TMPS sensor monitors. Those can be taken from the oem wheels or can come separetely

#18 ·
Great Idea! And great (so far anyway) execution!

One word of advice: on the rates page, it details the mounting and unmounting of "tires" rather than wheel/tire combination. Many people might get confused that you'll be pulling the summer rubber off of the OEM wheels and mounting/balancing winter rubber. You may want to clarify that it is a simple wheel/tire swap to avoid a flood of repetitive emails.

#21 · (Edited)
You take exactly the same route as if going to Harms. It is (according to Mapquest.de) a 9-mile drive from BMW-Welt on the Lerchenauaerstrasse in Munich to the depot on the Zeppelinstrasse in Garching, a journey that they say takes 13 minutes (although the driving-time will depend very much on the time of day). The tire-depot is easily located just off the Autobahn A9 (Munchen-Nurnberg), exit 76 Garching-Sud. Exact directions are sent with each confirmation. There was a choice of course of using a depot close to BMW-Welt but I thought it better to have the drop-off next to Harms in Garching so that at the end of the rental it would a) not be necessary to drive into Munich again and b) be just a couple of hundred yards from there to Harms (which is on the very next street!), thus avoiding anyone dropping off their car too late and/or in the event of snowy road conditions, driving under possible pressure of time from a depot near BMW-Welt to Harms on Summer tires.

#25 ·
If your question is a private matter. I think you should email him rather than PM. The PM function here at bimmerfest is inadequate especially if OP gets a chunck of PMs.

Otherwise, post your question here so others can benefit from the same question;)

#26 ·
Thanks for starting up this program.. It would have been useful for me earlier this year.

Question: What happens if it's snowing the day the customer takes delivery? A lot can happen in the "short" drive from die Welt to Garching before the snow tires get mounted...

#27 ·
Not much I can do about that really, you would have to drive carefully and slowly to Garching. If conditions really were so bad that it makes driving impossible, you would have to obtain snow chains outisde BMW Welt.

#28 ·
Thank you for this service. I may move my ED date up now.

#40 ·
1) Around what time of the year does it generally start snowing in Germany (munich and surroindings)?
Have you tried searching for the numerous discussions already on this topic? :dunno:

#42 ·
Hello, I am picking up a 2008 X3, December 4th and going down all the way to Rome to drop off Dec 12. How will the factory fitted tires and 4 wheel traction work for Dec weather ?. I live in FL and have no yearly experience on snow driving.

Thanks for the advice.

#43 ·
Hello, I am picking up a 2008 X3, December 4th and going down all the way to Rome to drop off Dec 12. How will the factory fitted tires and 4 wheel traction work for Dec weather ?. I live in FL and have no yearly experience on snow driving.

Thanks for the advice.
I pick up my Cabrio on 17th of December, I seriously considering renting the winter tires for my trip to Holland but maybe when we get closer I will see if the weather demands it...:thumbup:

#46 ·
I would imagine Harms will charge an extra fee for this.

#47 ·
I've submitted the request for end of December. Planning to drive to Austria and Czech Republic.

#51 ·
#53 ·
Wow! I just got off the phone with ED in New Jersey and they won't even recommend snow chains due to the contingent liability. They suggested going to Bimmerfest and looking up Winter Tire Rental. ;-)

Kind of a drag since I've given a dozen or so customers information about the snow chain rental program that isn't even in existence any more.

How much time does this typically take out of their valuable vacation for traveling to and from the facility plus mounting? I guess the tires are pre-balanced so it should move very quickly, yes?

#54 ·
Wow! I just got off the phone with ED in New Jersey and they won't even recommend snow chains due to the contingent liability. They suggested going to Bimmerfest and looking up Winter Tire Rental. ;-)
Really? John Lance, you're getting famous!!!!!

#60 ·
Possibly - but, if so, then downward! The program has got off to a good start and I will be able to see if a reduction is price is possible once the first 10 or so customers have returned their wheels & tires. Much depends on how many miles are driven.

Anyone reserving now for December 1st onward need not 'wait and see' because they will be given any eventual reduction in price too.

#61 ·
Please ensure that reservations are made, at the very least, 7 days in advance. People are waiting till they are here to check the conditions out for themselves and, like this week, are finding that it's impossible to obtain the equipment. This leaves them with two options: not driving at all or risk driving on Summer tires, which at the moment with all the snow and ice around, would be an extremely foolish and highly dangerous (to themselves and others) thing to attempt. If you find yourself in this situation today, don't drive your new car further than Harms - rent a car that is suitably equipped or use the train system.

#63 ·
The forecast for the next 10 days has snow mentioned 5x and temperatures which are as low as -6°.

If you are planning a trip for this time period, John is right given the snow and icy conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.