BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Door Sensor Keeps Going Off.

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  E39Freak 
#1 ·
This started last week.

I'll be driving around and whenever I hit a patch of uneven pavement or a slight dip/bump (usually on the freeway, but sometimes on surface streets) my door sensor goes off (ping) showing my driver side door is open on the dash indicator and the interior light comes on, even though the door is quite secure. then a couple of seconds later, it goes away and the interior light turns off......until I hit another dip/bump.

It also happens sometimes when I have to brake hard. It gets really annoying but I notice that if I grab hold of the arm rest on the door (where the window controls are) and pull inwards, it stops the sensor from going off. However It's obviously not a solution to drive with one hand on my door all the time, lol.

Also I notice that when I close the door, the front door sticks out about 2 to 3mm further than the back door, as opposed to the passenger side where both doors are even (I can tell because I can see the difference in the trim positions between doors, and I can feel the difference when I run my hand across the front door to the back). I've tried to push in the door more to see if it closes more, but it doesn't budge as it is clear that the door latch connects and the door is secure.

This has not affected the alarm or the ability to lock/unlock the doors, but it's just very annoying to keep hearing that ping, and especially at night when the interior light keeps turning on. Is the solution to adjust the front door to close evenly with the back door? (Is that even possible?, if so, how?) Or does this mean I need a new sensor?

I've seen an older thread about this in the E46 forum (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326038) where they mention the possibility of cold weather affecting the door sensor and even causing weather stripping to expand, but we haven't had extreme cold in Southern CA.

See less See more
#2 ·
Adjust the latch striker. It contains the door-closed detector switch. You will need a Torx T50 screwdriver.

If you decide to completely remove the latch striker, be aware that there is a metal plate on the other side. The striker screws into it and it will fall out of position, if you remove the screws. Then you will have to fish it out of the column.

#3 ·
Thanks Pudl. I will keep that in mind if I need to work on it. The sensor has actually been quiet the last 2 days (going on 3). I did something which was kinda stupid but it seems to have fixed the issue. I slammed the crap outta my door shut one morning and no more false pings lol. The door sensor still works as it does activate & show on my dash when I actually open my door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.