BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Stalling; CEL

612 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  marcozandrini 
#1 ·
Straying away from my E34 forum to get some advice on an 01 325i.

Not my car, but my friend has asked me to look at it for her. It has stalled a few times, and/or run rough for a bit, and after it does either it trips these codes.
P0300
P0174
P1345
P1347
I know the codes are lean mixture, multiple misfire, and cylinder 2/4 misfire with fuel cut-off.

In the two years she has had the car is has never seen a tune up or anything but oil, and the shop never reset the oil indicator. She had the oil changed yesterday and when i went to look at the car i reset the indicator for her.
Im looking for any ideas as to what could cause this to happen, it is not all the time, a slight jumpy idle, but otherwise runs fine until it runs rough and might try to stall.

Im leaning toward vacuum leak, bad plugs, coils, or a soon to be failed fuel pump.

But since y'all know more common things with this series than i, ill look forward to any advice.

See less See more
#3 ·
Straying away from my E34 forum to get some advice on an 01 325i.

Not my car, but my friend has asked me to look at it for her. It has stalled a few times, and/or run rough for a bit, and after it does either it trips these codes.
P0300
P0174
P1345
P1347
I know the codes are lean mixture, multiple misfire, and cylinder 2/4 misfire with fuel cut-off.

In the two years she has had the car is has never seen a tune up or anything but oil, and the shop never reset the oil indicator. She had the oil changed yesterday and when i went to look at the car i reset the indicator for her.
Im looking for any ideas as to what could cause this to happen, it is not all the time, a slight jumpy idle, but otherwise runs fine until it runs rough and might try to stall.

Im leaning toward vacuum leak, bad plugs, coils, or a soon to be failed fuel pump.

But since y'all know more common things with this series than i, ill look forward to any advice.
Mileage? Oil consumption rate?

Usually a lean code (too much air or too little fuel) means there's a leak in the intake after the MAF sensor. In order of commonality on older e46s: cracked intake boots, leaky CCV valve and/or hoses, DISA gasket and/or flap function. It can also be from a fuel pressure restriction: old clogged filter, dying fuel pump, vac line from intake boot to pressure regulator on filter compromised. Really old plugs and or coils will misfire, but since you have the lean code I'd chase that first as that will cause misfires too.

Read up in the e46 wiki on these items in the engine section.

e46 wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8014505#post8014505

#5 ·
Pretty much guaranteed to need new boots, CCV system and disa gasket if not a whole new disa. There are rebuild kits for disa but you need to see how it's failing, if it is, to see if the rebuild kit can help. Wiki has info.

Start with inspection on those items ^^^.

Fuel pumps average a little over 10 years 150k so that's ripe too. I have one sitting in my closet waiting for the day.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.