BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help to what is hopefully a stupid question

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Rich_Jenkins 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a model year 2011 M3 convertible with a production date of August 11, 2011. I also own a model year 2011 X5.

In the latter I can send myself google map locations using the send function in google maps. I then go to the messages on the idrive menu and voila.

Problem with the M3, there is no messages menu. I have gone through the book over and over and though it shows messages under the "office" menu, the only thing listed there is "contacts".

Additionally in my X5, with combox controller, I can also receive text messages using the MAP profile of my cell phone (Motorla Photon). The M3 also has the combox controller (at least according to the vin decode). When I pair the phone, I get a request from my phone to allow MAP so I know the car is "requesting" it, but again I can't get to / find the "messages" menu/submenu. I do have "office" ticked under the options section of the phone details.

I would really hate to take it to the dealer for something that I hope is a really simple fix. (PS not really sure why I have waiting nearly two years to figure this out)

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
Really? That's interesting. It is shown there in that menu in my user's manual (09)...weird.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#6 ·
^^^ Page 185 in my manual. Hope this helps track it down.

#7 ·
Messages are also under Telephone. If you do not see Messages under Telephone then your Combox software must be updated: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/co...mobile_devices/bluetooth_software_update.html

If that does not work then it is dealer time.

I own a model year 2011 M3 convertible with a production date of August 11, 2011. I also own a model year 2011 X5.

In the latter I can send myself google map locations using the send function in google maps. I then go to the messages on the idrive menu and voila.

Problem with the M3, there is no messages menu. I have gone through the book over and over and though it shows messages under the "office" menu, the only thing listed there is "contacts".

Additionally in my X5, with combox controller, I can also receive text messages using the MAP profile of my cell phone (Motorla Photon). The M3 also has the combox controller (at least according to the vin decode). When I pair the phone, I get a request from my phone to allow MAP so I know the car is "requesting" it, but again I can't get to / find the "messages" menu/submenu. I do have "office" ticked under the options section of the phone details.

I would really hate to take it to the dealer for something that I hope is a really simple fix. (PS not really sure why I have waiting nearly two years to figure this out)

Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
MMME30W, thanks very much for your posts. Unfortunately the iDrive software in an '11 is slightly different than yours. Surprisingly it's slightly different from model to model in the same year because it's not even the same as that in my X5.

Technic, thanks as well. I did update the software before posting my original message hoping that was the problem, but unfortunately no. This is very strange. I guess I will make an appointment with the dealer.

#9 ·
^^^ Good luck. Very odd.

Only thing that comes to mind is, perhaps, your car was never somehow associated with a BMW Assist Program.

I checked and the ability to send addresses to the car via Google Maps is an advertised feature.

Be curious how this ends up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.