BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dsc off is amazing!

11K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  SuperTerp 
#1 ·

Omg I love Dsc off!!! Do I have more control with it off it really feels like it!

Running sport plus as well that's noticeably more fun especially in auto mode in 7

See less See more
#2 ·
With DSC off, you're relying on a true limited slip differential, so you're not relying on a system selectively cutting power and applying the brakes. Wouldn't recommend it on a daily driving basis -- at least keep DSC in MDM mode.

Ironically, you're driving in D mode which gives you less control since something else is selecting the gears for you. ;)

#4 ·
Yeah yeah of course the manual guys will rub it in :p but I've tried and it feels like I'm hurting the car so I've stopped for awhile someone needs to come stay in one of our guest rooms and show me :p

But it just feels like I have mucho te control even though technically I'm sure it's more dangerous. Everything is on sport in m drive by the way.

#3 ·
I also find the choice of DSC off in D mode.
Perhaps because it was 87F

#5 · (Edited)
Chances of the next post from SuperTerp being "wrecked my m3"?

seriously, be very very careful with DSC off. it should be for track use only. unless you have faith that your control over this beast is complete. i wouldn't dream of turning DSC for everyday driving. track only.

#7 ·
DSC off and apparently seatbelt off, OP believes he has better control. I think you better be careful unless you are the Stig. Else, what highyo said.

#9 ·
This is a post I will follow........also, quick suggestion to the OP. Get your car coded with Euro MDM and enjoy the beast with less risk. Search Euro MDM and you'll understand what I'm saying......Phil

#10 ·
John Hodges is a local to you coder. He coded my car for European MDM. Look for him on Facebook under DC Metro Coding.

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks man I'll look into it :thumbup:

For all that's holy crank that DCT setting up a few notches. One bar is painful.While DSC off does provide you more control it makes the car less controllable so be careful, driving spirited was fun and relatively safe before DSC and ABS but it was because that's how we learnt to drive and how all cars were equipped then. The behavior of a non DSC/ABS car got ingrained in our instincts. Today most cars have these aids and our reactions and driving style are now conditioned to them. MDM is IMO a good balance of the added safety of the aids and control. Even full DSC is fun in the M3 on public roads.
Is it better to keep it down low to get upto speed faster, or have it higher shifting gears to get upto speed? and whats best at when you need to reaccelerate higher gear shifts or lower?

#11 · (Edited)
For all that's holy crank that DCT setting up a few notches. One bar is painful.While DSC off does provide you more control it makes the car less controllable so be careful, driving spirited was fun and relatively safe before DSC and ABS but it was because that's how we learnt to drive and how all cars were equipped then. The behavior of a non DSC/ABS car got ingrained in our instincts. Today most cars have these aids and our reactions and driving style are now conditioned to them. MDM is IMO a good balance of the added safety of the aids and control. Even full DSC is fun in the M3 on public roads.

#17 ·
this is true to a degree, since the horsepower wars have given us the ability to put massive power in our hands at a relatively cheap price. look back at what a 420 hp 285 torque machine in 1985 was. well. dont look too hard. dont think there was one. who needs traction control and no dsc in a 190hp e30 m3?

#15 · (Edited)
The DCT at 3 bars I good for daily relaxed driving but when you want to drive more focused 4 or better 5 is preferable IMO. More important than the higher shift points in D mode is that it makes the drive train feel more direct with less slippage/play. I only use 2 when the road is very slippery and never use 1. One makes the tranny and clutches feel very lazy. For outright speed/acceleration higher is better in my experience.

Playing with the DCT settings is safe, playing with DSC is not. Be careful and focused if you do.

#16 ·
I agree. I run 4 bars and have m drive in d3 most of the time. Seems to be the sweet spot for me in daily driving. 3 bars was annoying in D mode because DCT takes too long to downshift and upshifts too quickly.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.