BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Want to know good leather conditioner for my car !

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  LA525iT 
#1 · (Edited)
its that time again to touch-up my car. I was wondering whats the best leather treatment for my car, that has a nice scent everytime i step into the car. My 528i's leather doesn't have any type of leather scent that is unusual with cars with leather which is odd, and feels weird. I have heard there is some special leather condtioners for German cars, and it was used in our previous cars which had a very nice and strong scent, have any idea what it might be called???? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

#5 ·
franzdom said:
Leatherique is highly recommended.
Dittos on Leatherique. They offer a BMWCCA discount too.

#7 · (Edited)
What does it mean to "condition" leather?

What does leather "conditioner" condition?
What is the basic ingredient of this "magic in a bottle"?

I've never used conditioner and my full (front & back) leather seats on my old LS400 are going strong ten years and 160,000 sunny miles later. The only conditioner I used was when the kids constantly drop cookie crumbs, ice cream, and soda ... and all I did was wipe that off with a wet cotton cloth.

What happens to the leather if I don't "condition" my BMW?

#8 ·
If the leather in you ls is anything like that of the leather in my wife's lx470, it is so processed it will probably last forever with no maintenance(her landcruiser was the same way). It is very smooth, typical of japanese auto leather that seems to have dye sprayed on it, little leather texture. Since leather was a living substance, it will dry out and eventually crack and deteriorate. Most conditioners attempt to replenish oils into the leather, moisturize them like you would your skin, and perhaps add some uv protection.
I personally love leatherique, but you need some time to do it. I use zaino from time to time, and leatherique maybe every 6 mos or so.
Mike

redbeemer said:
What does leather "conditioner" condition?
What is the basic ingredient of this "magic in a bottle"?

I've never used conditioner and my full (front & back) leather seats on my old LS400 are going strong ten years and 160,000 sunny miles later. The only conditioner I used was when the kids constantly drop cookie crumbs, ice cream, and soda ... and all I did was wipe that off with a wet cotton cloth.

What happens to the leather if I don't "condition" my BMW?

#9 ·
Some newer leathers are "glazed" so all they need is vacuuming and a wipe-off with a damp rag. A lot of American vehicles are like that since most Americans are bad at upkeep on their cars. ;) I've written about it in other threads, but I use Leatherique 2x a year in my cars. When I bought the 528 the leather was in awful shape (stains and cardboard feel). One treatment of Leatherique brought them back quite a bit and I will be redoing them shortly on a nice warm day.

I do have a bottle of the Zaino treatment to test out; I may use that inbetween Leatherique treatments.

#10 ·
My leather is in perfect condition, and shines. But i need that unexplainable smell in my car, that leather gives. I mean i know i sound childish, but i need that leather smell :cry: LOL ! Should i pay $300 at BMW and get my car shampooed and buffed out like the day i picked it up from the dealer?????????? These conditioners you ppl mentioned where can i get these products, how much do they cost, and is it easy applicating them?????????

#11 ·
Leatherique goes on easy, and comes with instructions. If you leather is in good shape, and you don't want to bother, then go to www.griotsgarage.com and buy their "leather scent" spray. Restores the nice leather smell.

Dave

#16 ·
My local ACE hardware of all places had Lexol on sale (wasnt selling any). Needless to say, I bought his entire inventory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.