BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

HUD on 2013 X3

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  IRBD 
#1 · (Edited)
We took delivery of my wife's X3 (3.5) White/Black last week, it is opitioned with everything except the cold weather package II.

Question is on the HUD: I can only get the speed limit to display in the windshield?
I have set the display for everything. Is this the only thing that will display? My son's M5 displays a lot of info on the windshield.

Anybody know if this is correct, I am thinking it isn't working properly.

Gunner

#2 ·
The M5 HUD displays more info. You should see actual speed and Nav arrow display.

#3 ·
I have the same gripe - here's the post I made in another forum today:

Ok, I really love the heads up display and don't think I can live without it again, BUT... The HUD in the 2013 335xi is better, and I'd love to know why they aren't the same. Here are my "suggestions" to anyone from BMW who monitors the forum.

In the 335, the speed, navigation, radio scrolling, music choices, incoming phone ID - everything - is shown in the HUD. I never need to take my eyes off the road and can do all choices with my thumb on the wheel. In the X3, only the speed and navigation are shown. Radio and phone functions (anything that operates from the thumb wheel) are shown down in the instrument cluster - this is a poor location (have to look all the way down and refocus), and it duplicates the info on the control screen which is actually higher and larger font. The thumb wheel on the steering wheel is almost never used because it's easier and safer to use the control screen and the iDrive knob.

The less important item is that in the 335 the HUD speed is white during the daytime and orange at night - in the X3 it is always orange. Does anyone know why they made the decision to make them different? Is there some secret switch I'm unaware of that would make the X3 as good as the 335? And can it be coded to act the same?

#4 ·
I have the same gripe - here's the post I made in another forum today:

Ok, I really love the heads up display and don't think I can live without it again, BUT... The HUD in the 2013 335xi is better, and I'd love to know why they aren't the same. Here are my "suggestions" to anyone from BMW who monitors the forum.

In the 335, the speed, navigation, radio scrolling, music choices, incoming phone ID - everything - is shown in the HUD. I never need to take my eyes off the road and can do all choices with my thumb on the wheel. In the X3, only the speed and navigation are shown. Radio and phone functions (anything that operates from the thumb wheel) are shown down in the instrument cluster - this is a poor location (have to look all the way down and refocus), and it duplicates the info on the control screen which is actually higher and larger font. The thumb wheel on the steering wheel is almost never used because it's easier and safer to use the control screen and the iDrive knob.

The less important item is that in the 335 the HUD speed is white during the daytime and orange at night - in the X3 it is always orange. Does anyone know why they made the decision to make them different? Is there some secret switch I'm unaware of that would make the X3 as good as the 335? And can it be coded to act the same?
You may fix this HUD problem by coding. See link below. In addition I have "speed limit" and "No passing" sign (when applicable) showing in hud, and different system warnings etc. Very happy with the HUD.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7458670&postcount=78

Good luck!

#5 ·
Make sure that all the feauture buttons are pressed on. There are 4 or 5 clustered together lower left of the steering wheel.

#6 ·
HUD Info

Finally found one of the techs at the dealer that knows the HUD system.
Yes, the X3 HUD is a cheaper version than one used on the M5.
There are several things that show up only temporarily in the windshield (fasten seat belt, door open, etc).
The only 24/7 type display is the speed and (if you have nav) your nav directions if you enter a destination.
Really wish it had the M5 system.

Gunner

PS: wife's vehicle and only has about 350 miles on it in about 6 weeks.

#10 ·
I agree, I'd rather have the HUD from our 335 in the X3 (sleep limit signs, phone, radio, etc., and it's white in the daytime). And here's a useless but interesting thing I saw yesterday - I was driving in the sunshine (beautiful day) and all of a sudden I noticed that the speed in the HUD was really, really bright high intensity red - like some demon was trying to get out of the hood. After my initial fear wore off, I drove around trying to find just the right sun angle again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.