BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Official "HPFP" Questions and Answers thread ("Engine Failure — Reduced Power" error)

193K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  NikoNeko 
#1 · (Edited)
Official "HPFP" Questions and Answers thread ("Engine Failure - Reduced Power" error)

In an effort to plug the proliferation of high-pressure fuel pump (aka "HPFP") posts, we are going to build a single Q&A post that will help by objectively answer all of the questions. This post will be updated regularly with new factual information as we learn more about the issue. As we intend to keep this non-opinionated, this thread will be closed to general membership comments. However, I encourage forum members to send me (Emission) a PM as information becomes available or they want answers to new questions posted. Please feel free to PM me both questions and answers. I will edit for clarity and then add them to this post (I will give you credit for your submission):

What is the HPFP?

The "HPFP" is the common abbreviation for the "high-pressure fuel pump" used on BMW's direct-injected "N54" 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six powerplant. (Submitted by Emission)

Why is everyone concerned about the HPFP?

The HPFP has had a very high number of failures over the past few years. When the HPFP fails, the vehicle must be returned to the dealership (towed or driven while in "limp mode") for a replacement HPFP. In many cases, this requires an overnight stay... or worse. (Submitted by Emission)

What vehicles use the HPFP?

All direct-injection vehicles (from many manufacturers, not just BMW) use a HPFP, but the HPFP in question is found in the following BMW vehicles:

E90 Sedan 335i
E91 Touring 335i
E92 Coupé 335i
E93 Convertible 335i
E60 Sedan 535i
E61 Touring 535i
E82 Coupé 135i
E88 Convertible 135i
F01 Sedan 740i
BMW X6 xDrive35i
BMW Z4 sDrive35i

(Submitted by Emission)

What happens if my HPFP goes out?

The "Check Engine" light will illuminate (see image below), and your engine will run at significantly reduced power. (Submitted by Emission)

Does BMW have a fix for the HPFP issue?

Not yet. BMW has released a replacement pump with a part number ending in -943. The replacement pump may solve the problem. However, until there is actual field experience with the replacement part, there is no way to know if the -943 part is the definitive fix to the HPFP issue. (Submitted by anE934fun)

What are the symptoms of a failing HPFP?

- Long crank before the engine turns over (slow start)
- Check Engine light illuminates
- Car runs rough, and has reduced power

(Submitted by Emission)

Will my car stop running if the HPFP fails?

The engine should continue to run, but roughly and at reduced power. You will still likely be able to drive home or to the dealer. Driving in this condition will not harm the engine. (Submitted by MrBones)

What has BMW done about the HPFP? Is there an extended warranty?

BMW has addressed the issue and will cover the HPFP for 10 years/120,000-miles under warranty (above and beyond the standard 4 year/50,000-mile limited New Vehicle warranty). The 2007-2009 E9x models are included. A copy of the warranty letter is below. (Submitted by Bcube)

How do consumers lodge an official complaint with the NHTSA?

As is the case with any potential safety issue involving a vehicle, residents of the U.S. may submit a case to the Office of Defects Investigation, operated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (a Department of Transportation agency). The URL is: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm (Submitted by ddutch)

How do I contact BMW with questions about my HPFP?

Your local dealer should be able to help you. If not, BMW of North America may be reached at (800) 831-1117. (Submitted by ddutch)

Do the new N55 motors have the HPFP?

We don't know. The N55 has a single turbo, and will have a HPFP... but it has no history yet.

What causes the HPFP to fail?

The part may have been engineered poorly, or there may be something breaking it down it in the operating environment (heat, fuel, vibration, etc...). There has been a lot of speculation about fuel type (alcohol content?), driving style, vehicle type, etc... but nobody has been able to put a finger on it. (Submitted by KHarney)

If I have my N54 "chipped" is this more likely to cause the HPFP to fail?

Unlikely. Owners both with and without aftermarket tuning have had their HPFP fail. In fact, it doesn't seem to matter if you have a manual or automatic transmission or how hard you drive the vehicle. (Submitted by Emission)

I heard rumors that BMW was asking for dealers to return certain HPFPs?

So did we. In fact, we found this bulletin (dated 18 Feb, 2010) online:

BMW Parts Bulletin
TEC8E High Pressure Pump Return

Please return your inventory of the following part number(s):
13 51 7 592 881

Stock must not be sold or installed on any vehicle.

This part number will be flagged as non-returnable March 18, 2010.

Return the part(s) to your facing Regional Distribution Center (RDC). Submit for returning using YR26 Damage claim with order reason BM2. A valid BMW delivery and delivery item number must be entered and TEC8E must appear in the text of your TEC claim.

TEC8E is valid from February 17, 2010 through March 3, 2010.
The deadline for filing claims under TEC8E is March 3, 2010. All parts must be returned to your facing RDC no later than March 17, 2010.

Current inventory is on freeze and being cleared. Please reorder using part number 13 51 7 594 943.

Part number 13 51 7 592 881 will be non-returnable once the TEC has ended.

Your current inventory must be returned!

What is the latest news from BMW on the HPFP?

As of August 3, 2010:

BMW has extended the emissions warranty coverage period to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, on these vehicles in all 50 States. This emissions warranty extension is on-file with the Environmental Protection Agency and listed as a Voluntary Emissions Recall, #10E-W01. If the HPFP fails during the extended warranty coverage period, BMW will replace it with a newer-production version.

Newer N55-powered BMW models, as well as the 740i/Li, built from March 2010 on use the latest HPFP and are not affected.

Customers who experience long starting times or notice the Service Engine Soon lamp should contact an Authorized BMW Center to schedule a service appointment. Customers with further questions should contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117 or email customer.relations@bmwna.com.

(Submitted by Emission)

Please submit more answers/questions to Emission via PM.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
They are, just not called out as such. My '09 335xi had one HPFP in-warranty failure before the recall and the recall pump as well.

#5 ·
For anybody who owns a 2011 335i /N55 engine and has experienced a HPFP failure as I have, BMW has a free replacement policy for 7 years/ 70,000 miles on the HPFP. This only works in the following states...CA, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NM, OR, PA,RI, VT, and WA. It's covered under the California Emissions Control Systems Limited Warranty. Just had mine replaced under this warranty and it finally starts without the long start issue.

#7 ·
Just passing on some information for those with 2011 335i w/ N55 that are experiencing the long start issue linked to the faulty HPFPs.

I just purchased (3rd owner) a used 335i Convertible in July 2017 from North Scottsdale BMW in AZ. The 335i had 73k miles, no warranty, and was being sold as is as it was just taken in on trade.

On the test drive I noticed the 2-4 second start up time and pointed that out immediately to the sales representative. After negotiating a price I wanted, I decided to purchase the 335i with some Due Bill items owed me when parts came in. I did not however ask that the HPFP be replaced as it slipped my mind when we started negotiating.

When I returned the car back a week later for the other Due Bill items, I mentioned the 2-4 second long start to my service rep and asked him to look into a Service Campaign for the faulty HPFP that were found on early the 2011 335i. Sure enough he said there was a Service Campaign still in effect and they replaced my HPFP with the latest version as well as the fuel filter and serviced the fuel system free of charge.

Nice to know good customer service still exists but if anything, if you have a 2011 335i / N55 and you are experiencing these long starts, ask you dealer about any Service Campaigns to have that HPFP replaced.

Good luck! [emoji1423][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#9 ·
I just bought a 2011 335i Coupe with about 77K miles on it, a month or so ago. 1000 miles in the half engine light came on and the car cranks a few times before starting up. I pulled P0087 and P15DF from the car. Half engine light comes and goes, as does 'Service Engine Soon'.

I took it to BMW of San Antonio for some other open recalls (CV joint, Airbag) and they told me the HPFP is not covered under any extended warranty. They mentioned only 2006-2010 as being covered. Bummer.

#10 ·
That really sucks, HZM! You are basically in the same situation I was in with my recently purchased 2011 335i Convertible with 74k miles with two main differences:

1) I simply noticed that the engine took longer to start but there was actually codes. It was BMW of North Scottsdale that looked into the 335i and saw that it had a code to replace the fuel pump.

You on the other hand have the "Service Engine Soon" light and Limp Home Mode activated. Your issues is obvious and in their face.

2) BMW of North Scottsdale never mentioned to me that they replaced the HPFP under an extended warranty. They said it was part of a Service Campaign that covered early model 2011 335i because some of those faulty HPFPs ended up in 2011 models. BMW of San Antonio sucks!

Ask yo speak to a service manager or lead service writer. Hopefully the find that it is not a Extended Warranty that they should replace your faulty HPFP under but an actually Service Campaign from BMW North America. As soon as I get home I will check my paperwork to see if there was a SB # (service bulletin) associated with the HPFP replacement I had done. Maybe that information will motivate BMW of San Antonio to get off there @$$ and rise to the level of proper BMW customer service. [emoji58]

#11 ·
I also emailed BMW NA and they told me sorry, not sorry as well. I sent them my VIN and asked them if the HPFP was covered by any extended warranties or service campaigns and they said no.

Maybe your car was built earlier than mine? BMW said my 'in-service' date was 4-16-2011 but that sounds more like when the car was first purchased.

I'd really like to not pay for this replacement, but it is not looking good.:mad:

#12 ·
Could my car be possibly affected? Mine has the N55 motor. Was driving along and all of a sudden the said warning light appeared and the car entered limp mode but it only lasted 2-3 seconds. It went back to normal and continued to run normal throughout the whole day as I ran errands with no incidents . Scanned it and 0 codes came up.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#14 ·
BMW 335i HPFP issues

Car goes into limp mode. So I found a genuine bmw HPFP online for £300. Seller states it's original and created in same factory but the outerpackaging is different. Was it too good to be true? I Was going to change out the pump tomorrow however now I'm not sure, what if it goes again 10mins later?how unreliable could it be? Or you guys think it's genuine? Really don't want to spend £800 on a fuel pump as alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I have a 2011 335is, (N54 engine) manufactured in October 2010. I thought I received a letter from BMW informing me that my HPFP was covered for 10 years but now I can't find the letter.

Does anyone know whether my car is covered by the extended HPFP warrantee?

#18 ·
#19 ·
You've omitted the N53 engined cars. They all have the HPFP as well. These engines were never delivered to the US due to the fuel in the US having too much sulfur (back in the day) which would wreck the catalytic converters on these cars because they have lean burn and stratified charge.

It is possible that these do not suffer the same failure rate as the turbo cars though.