BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2003 - Massive amounts of smoke, then engine died.

Z4 Roadster (E85) 
4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  amancuso 
#1 ·
Just got my Z4 back from the dealership after some routine service (oil change, etc). Drove home last night with no problems, parked it outside (no garage) as normal. Started it up this morning in the bitter cold (about 10 degrees F.) without any problems, let it idle for 5 minutes or so while I took out the trash and dropped off a letter at the mailbox.

5 miles down the road, on the interstate, the car started spewing copious amounts of white smoke from the tailpipe. I was going about 70. Since I was near an exit, I immediately moved over and took the exit (less than 1/4 mile). The engine stalled out halfway down the ramp, and I coasted the car off the exit. The car was running maybe 30 seconds from when I noticed the smoke and the engine stalling.

On a quick inspection, there was no oil visible on the engine block, and a small amount of oil residue in the muffler. I checked the oil level, and it was effectively empty (not good).

So now the car is at the dealership again (thanks for the two hours in the cold waiting for a tow truck), and I am waiting to hear back about a root cause. I am assuming either A) the cold caused something to jam shut and blew oil back into the engine or B) the dealership forgot a step in the oil change and the oil all leaked out, somewhere I couldn't see it.

Considering the engine seized due to lack of oil, is the engine salvageable, or am I looking at a dead Z4?

See less See more
#3 ·
Did you have the proper amout of antifreez in the cooling system ? In the bitter cold it is Very important to make sure of that. Sounds like you froze up the radiator. Going 70 in the bitter cold the temp droped a lot more for your cars cooling system. If you did not have enough antifreez in the cooling system it will freez up. Sounds like that is what happened to you. You may of blown out the rad or a hose. Hopefully not the head gasket. Good luck and please keep us posted.

#7 ·
That valve is most likely the BMW special wamadine PCV valve (not its real name of course). This valve has a history of this type of failure in extreme cold temperatures on M54 engines. They even have an upgraded 'cold weather option' upgraded valve....

Do a search, especially on the E46 chassis and you will see.

#8 ·
That valve is most likely the BMW special wamadine PCV valve (not its real name of course). This valve has a history of this type of failure in extreme cold temperatures on M54 engines. They even have an upgraded 'cold weather option' upgraded valve....

Do a search, especially on the E46 chassis and you will see.

Yeah, that's what the issue was. $1949 later I am on my way to pick it back up...:thumbdwn:

#12 ·
Why are we talking about head gaskets? The issue was diagnosed and fixed.....

#15 ·
I bet you the valve that stuck closed was the CCV. Same thing happened to my 540i a few years back. I didn't drive it till it shut down though. I ended up having it towed to my indy and the total bill was $650.00. I guess you love paying dealer prices. :(.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.