BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2014 X3 Package Dilemma

22K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  vzx 
#1 ·
I just ordered my 2014 X3 and having some last minute buyers remorse about ordering and not ordering a few packages/options.

Some background. I drive a 2001 Toyota avalon and it drives smoooooth. It's a dependable car but very very boring to drive. :p

We were thinking of upgrading and test drove the X3 28i. WOW, that engine was nice but the engine noise crept into the cabin all the time. Then I drove the X3 35i and I loved the smoothness of exhaust, responsiveness, etc. I was sold.

I finally ordered the following config.

2014 X3 35i
Carbon Black
Oyster white nevada leather.
M-sport package
Premium package
Cold weather package
Driver assistance package

paying 50.5K before taxes.

Did not order the following systems

1) Premium sound package. I play in a band but not a purist or audiophile. Mostly listen to talk radio on my daily commute to work. Looking at reviews on this site, did not feel like spending $800 on a premium "no brand" sound system.

2) Technology package. Not sure if I'll ever need HUD or navigation system. A $150 garmin can give better direction and traffic info (HD traffic). Maps updates are free for lifetime.

3) Dynamic handling package. Not sure why I did not order this.

4) Driver assistance plus. Top view is a gimmick and I don't need lane departure warning.

Now I wanted to stay within budget (around 54K after taxes). I'm a physician but that does not mean I will blow off my money on all the bells and whistles. I want a decent driving experience and that wide grin on my face when I drive the X3 :bigpimp:

My dealer reassured there is still some time to make modifications - although the order is submitted. So here are my questions:

Is the M-sport package really worth the 3K? Does it add anything else in drive quality compared to regular package. Is it better if I go for standard specs + dynamic handling package?

Technology package. Should I order it? Is the new HUD and map system going to be significantly different from the old one? I really did not like the old maps (on the unit I test drove - 2012 X3 35i). I don't care about BMW apps, remote, etc. I would love to stream songs via bluetooth but I can live with by connecting my iphone via USB. I am assuming that regular phone functions (receive / end) work even without the technology package

What do existing customers think about having onboard navigation vs regular garmin? is the HUD visible during bring daylight?

Please help. I need to make these modifications by tomorrow evening.

See less See more
#2 ·
navigation is not a must i think but is packaged with technology package which also included parking camera, new navigation is linked with an app on iphone, you can send saved maps from google maps to your car, it is very convenient, it will look odd to put a garmin unit on 55K car so suggestion get technology package, HUD is also not a must, i would rather go with M package. i had premium sound in my last 328i, it think it is lot better than the regular sound, if you listen to talk radio you can skip it, HD radio is very good sound as compared to E90, my point is premium sound in this vehicle should be standard at this price point. Lane departure is very good safety feature (i agree not must).

#3 ·
Thank you for the insight. Several of my close friends have said the same thing about navigation package. A garmin would definitely look cheap on the car.

BMW jacked up the prices on the tech package to 3K this year. There is no separate option to just select navigation alone (without HUD).

What do you think about M-sport vs regular + dynamic handling?

#4 ·
4) Driver assistance plus. Top view is a gimmick and I don't need lane departure warning.
Uhh, I couldn't disagree more about Top View. LDW is gee whiz, but Top View is an incredible feature. Every car should have this--I just wish it showed the front of the car as well.

As for the Dynamic Handling Package, I have no idea why you didn't order it either, because it's probably my favorite feature on mine.

#60 ·
I agree with you 100% on TopView. I have it on my current X5 and I am not sure I would buy a car that didn't have it. I always used to suck at parallel parking but not anymore with Top View. I also use it every time I park in my garage space (which I have to back into).

I also would always get the Nav. I could use my iPhone but it requires to much attention from me so I typically just sent the destination from the phone to the car Nav (another awesome feature). Also have a Garmin which I hate.

#5 ·
personally the minimum you put on option the better value BMWs are, some of these options are ridiculously expensive and premium on a premium car, premium package and CWP is the minimum you need, everything else is depend on how much you want to spend. my must have in order are
Premium package
CWP
M sports
Technology
Dynamic handling.
Harman Kardon sound.
Lane departure.

#6 · (Edited)
Choices choices.

My initial reason not to order the technology package was the ridiculously high prices for map updates. I browsed around in the forum and it looks like there is a member who can provide updates for $50. So this is a non-issue. Is BMW remote services worth it? I am definitely not going to use the apps. What is BMW online?

One thing that I like about my current garmin GPS is lane assist. It tells me which lane to stay in for upcoming exits. Really handy when traveling in unknown destinations. Do we have something like this in BMW?

So premium sound is a big NO. Correct? The X1 and X5's come with Harmon-Kardon speakers. X3's still come with cheap generic "BMW high grade" speakers.

I can add dynamic handling and top view but that will raise the final price of the car to about 54.5K (invoice + all the dealer crap fee).

On one hand, I had a budget in mind and will overshoot it by almost 6K (after considering all taxes). On the other hand, paying 6K over 5 years is nothing.

Again, what do you guys think about removing M-sport and sticking to stock package + dynamic handling?

One other option is to downgrade the engine to 28i (I would really hate to do that). Might test drive both engines again tomorrow :confused:

#7 ·
you gotta get Nav not solely for navigation purposes but because you get the wider display screen on your dash and the extended display in your cluster. DHP nice to have but not a must you'll probably drive in comfort mode all the time. M-Package? well it depends but it's worth it, I personally love the feel of the beefed up steering and the look of front and rear bumpers plus the dark headliner. premium sound, nice to have for the occasional songs you might want to listen to. At the end like you said a couple thousand dollars are nothing in a couple years and you will regret not getting them in the future, it also depends how long you wanna keep the car.

#8 ·
personally for me 28i is very good. i would say you will be very happy with Premium, technology and CWP, so decision comes down to either get 28i with M package or 35i without M. simple and keep you in your budget.

#10 ·
Except that in 10 years one would be a decade older and missed out on all the fun :)

I plan to drive my X3 till 100K+ miles over the next 8 years. 50K well spent.

So I finally decided to get the technology package, top view cams, m-sport, cold weather, premium. 53K total (+ taxes extra)

The only things I'm on the edge for are dynamic handling and premium sound. I drive approx 12K a year and approximately 70% is city driving. Not sure how dynamic handling will help.

#11 ·
I have no regrets getting the MSport and Dynamic Handling. They are worth every single penny for the driving experience.

I know it's hard to find a Dynamic Handling car out there because they are usually only on custom orders. But if you can find one, please try and compare the driving difference to a non-DH vehicle. It's definitely not subtle.

The navigation system itself is integrated nicely in to the car. Yes you could get a Garmin. But I personally find the larger LCD screen a nice touch from the small one. IMO, the small one looks like crap and looks weird in the center console. The larger screen fills out the area nicely.

#14 ·
Sorry, the HUD is one of my favorite features with speed and nav direction displays very conveniently positioned to keep your eyes on the road.
I admit it, I'm an option freak. We ordered pretty much everything and I think it helps make it a luxury vehicle.

#17 ·
So finally drove to my dealership again today. Asked about the technology package. Confirmed that I would be getting the updated navigation pro package with the 2014 models. Checked out this version on a 2013 7 series and loved it.

Final Config:

X3 35i
Carbon Black / Oyester nevada (wish it was napa)
M-sport
Cold weather
Premium
Driver assistance
Technology

No DHP and Premium sound.

Total paid 53.5K (about 1K above invoice - dealer did not want to budge and I did not want to haggle for 300-500 bucks).

on road price after taxes approx 58K. BMW FS rate of 3.19%. Wish it was lower :(

#23 ·
So finally drove to my dealership again today. Asked about the technology package. Confirmed that I would be getting the updated navigation pro package with the 2014 models. Checked out this version on a 2013 7 series and loved it.

Final Config:

X3 35i
Carbon Black / Oyester nevada (wish it was napa)
M-sport
Cold weather
Premium
Driver assistance
Technology

No DHP and Premium sound.

Total paid 53.5K (about 1K above invoice - dealer did not want to budge and I did not want to haggle for 300-500 bucks).

on road price after taxes approx 58K. BMW FS rate of 3.19%. Wish it was lower :(
OP, something to consider. The navigation system can be ordered as a standalone option. The code # is 609 and cost $2k USD.

The Technology Pkg includes the Nav, HUD, BMW Online, Real-time traffic info, remote services and BMW Apps at a price of $3k. If only the navigation system is desired, this could create a budget should you want to opt for the Premium Sound.

#20 ·
I got it approved quickly and my check is in mail already.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App

#22 ·
I believe they are open till 11pm 7 days a week. I did apply thru phone though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App

#26 ·
i tested my sound system on my x3 today, I think sound is very reasonable, for most people they would not need to upgrade to Premium sound. use that money for other packages. HUD is nice but really not worth the money, I had HUD on my Pontiac in 1998 so it not such a big deal really. I think after Premium and technology i would add M sport and CWP. that should do it on X3.

#30 ·
I consider the following to be essential no compromise options that transform the X3 into a very capable fun SAV;
<O:p</O:p
35i engine - 0-60 in 5.3 seconds - as fast as a Porsche Cayenne -
M Sport - Sport Seats - M Wheel and other M inspired tweaks – the standard seat is inadequate especially if you are tall.
DHP - I would not own a BMW without it – huge bang for a few $.
Tech/Nav - I'm not spending $50/60K to look at a Garmin.

BTW Premium Stereo - I have it and like it very much but I would not consider it essential. <O:p</O:p

#31 · (Edited)
I'm 5'7 (so about avg height).

I drove 2 cars:

X3 28i without M-sport package and liked it.
X1 35i with M-sport and like it as well. The thigh support is good but not sure If I'm going to use it as often as someone who is taller than I.

I've almost finalized the build and I'm pretty sure my dealer is dreading another email from me asking about more changes :p

Should I forego M-sport and go for regular seats? If I do this, then I would be adding DHP for sure. My question is - Does M-sport offer different driving dynamics compared to stock + DHP ?

Tech package comes with navigation and HUD. If I order the navigation alone, I'd probably save 1.1K on the HUD. How many folks out there use their HUD daily? Want to know your opinion and daily use pattern. What is displayed on there?

I liked it but it could also be just fascination for new technology :confused:

#32 ·
I like the X1 35i a lot - $50K fully loaded and I believe hydraulic steering - however my German shepherd dog's kennel does not fit so the X1 was a non-starter.

<O:pPersonally for me - I need the sport seats - I am 6' 3" tall and the regular seats are too uncomfortable for me. I also like the M Steering wheel and the look of the 19" wheels. Dynamically, I would guess that a non M Sport car with DHP would be equivalent to one equipped with M Sport and DHP but I am not certain - I always considered M Sport to be a very nice styling exercise.

<O:pHUD? - Not for me - I really do not like it. My M3 was in the shop for 10 days after I hit a sink hole and the 535ix loaner had HUD. Had a chance to get up close and personal with HUD and I still did not care for it. Many consider it to be an essential option.

You have only good choices - let your own needs and desires guide you. <O:p

#33 ·
I believe the suspension between M-sport and standard is the same with the only difference in the 19" vs. 18" rims respectively. IMO, the DHP would have a impact on the driving dynamics. Unfortunately, locating one in a dealers inventory to demo could be difficult.

For the HUD, if you wear polarized sunglasses the image cannot be seen. Of course this will reduce the benefit to only nighttime viewing. Would it be worth the $1k (tech pkg vs. standalone nav), if it was my money, I would rather go with the premium sound or DHP.

For reference, I do not own a X3. However I am in the process of helping my wife pick her next vehicle which the X3 3.5i is either 1a or 1b (Q5 3.0T being the other). We have test driven the X3 several times and if it were my vehicle it would have the M-sport and DHP. However my wife doesn't like the thick steering wheel (M-sport) and wouldn't touch the mode switch for eco, sport, etc. So her potential vehicle wouldn't have these options.

#34 ·
Just noticed that if I ordered the 2014 X3 M-sport package I get the option of selecting

Delete sport suspension (which means I will have standard suspension) and go for dynamic damper control. In addition, it will also have performance control.

So In essence, if I add the DHP package on top of the M-sport, the only addition I get is Variable sport steering. Not sure if that is worth the $1300 upgrade.

I read a lot about DHP here and at X3bimmers forums. From what I understand, DHP adds the capacity to change chasis / suspension responsiveness when we switch from comfort --> sport --> sport plus. Without DHP it would be more of a throttle response only.

Since this would be my daily commute car as well (35 miles roundtrip), I certainly do not want to be stuck in a stiff sport suspension all the time. Having some control over my suspension would be great.

So I'm assuming that I will get this with removing sport suspension and adding DDC on the M-sport package. I probably do not need to add DHP to get the variable sport steering. What does it do differently anyway?

#35 ·
Just noticed that if I ordered the 2014 X3 M-sport package I get the option of selecting

Delete sport suspension (which means I will have standard suspension) and go for dynamic damper control. In addition, it will also have performance control.

So In essence, if I add the DHP package on top of the M-sport, the only addition I get is Variable sport steering. Not sure if that is worth the $1300 upgrade.

I read a lot about DHP here and at X3bimmers forums. From what I understand, DHP adds the capacity to change chasis / suspension responsiveness when we switch from comfort --> sport --> sport plus. Without DHP it would be more of a throttle response only.

Since this would be my daily commute car as well (35 miles roundtrip), I certainly do not want to be stuck in a stiff sport suspension all the time. Having some control over my suspension would be great.

So I'm assuming that I will get this with removing sport suspension and adding DDC on the M-sport package. I probably do not need to add DHP to get the variable sport steering. What does it do differently anyway?
When I was ordering my 2014 X3, we were not able to get the DDC eventhough it said Sport Suspension delete. You have to add DHP inorder to get the DDC, so I went ahead and added the DHP for 1300. You can have your dealer configure it in their system to see if it allowed. I checked at 2 dealerships and it did not give an option to choose between SSD or DDC. :)

#38 ·
Finally ordered everything. This is my first BMW and I wanted to experience everything that makes this brand unique.

If I don't like a feature, I know not to order it in my next one.
Congrats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.