BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Compound brakes?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  330i ZHP 
#1 ·
BMW's website shows these compound (aluminum hats/iron rotors) and cross drilled as new for 2013. Does anyone have these on their new X5M or is BMW NA blowing smoke - again?

My car

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine are just like yours. :tsk:

#3 ·
I wonder why BMW isn't installing the compound rotors on our cars? In younger years I'd get in a "very big discussion" with BMW NA about their advertising promises but, honestly, after so many of these "discussions" with them over the last 20 years I don't have the energy - and I already know the outcome.

My guess is the car wasn't certified with compound rotors and BMW is balking at the expense since the next X5's are due this summer...only someone forgot to tell the marketing folks.

Sometimes compound rotors are noisy, but the cross drilled feature would be nice :thumbup:

#5 · (Edited)
From the BMW website,

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicl...om/driving_dynamics/compound_disc_brakes.html

is showing the exact front brake rotor as on my X5M

The first picture on the first post, I believe, is the picture of the BMW M5 (F10) front rotor

Look carefully at the following picture below, it is a two piece design, the round pegs around the hat are the floating fasteners between the rotor and the hat

Attachments

#6 ·
That's interesting! BMW NA must be monitoring this website since I copied the cross-drilled compound rotor image on 2/1/13 from the same link you posted today.

Clearly, they quietly corrected their website :thumbdwn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.