BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just bought an '07 650i and ordered a few mods

12K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Calibugman 
#1 ·
Hey I'm a new guy.
2 months ago I picked up this 2007 BMW 650i with 58,000 km, saphire black. Bought it off a 19 year old Asian girl who had it sit in the driveway for 6 months. Smells brand new....Best BMW I have ever owned!!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

Started ordering parts after thoroughly researching threads and creeping on all you guys.
Just had it dropped on H&R springs yesterday and learned my lesson over a speed bump already. Great ride!
Tirerack has the best deal on springs I could find, cheaper then Ebay.

Found an x-pipe on Summit Racing that is stainless steel, NOT ALUMINIZED. It's also a lot longer and happens to be a perfect fit to take the place of all the resonators (2 cans and the single). I ordered the 2.5" which is bigger then the 2.25" stock pipe. And I didn't know that right after the single resonator is 2" pipe leading to the stock mufflers....Putting the x where the two cans are. I will post the sound before and after once it is finished with stock mufflers.
Muffler Font Auto part Metal

Personal protective equipment Headgear Costume

It turned out to be a little more difficult than I thought here in Vancouver to find a stainless steel welder, as I want it done right!

I searched for the cheapest place to find an authentic Alpina lip and managed to find it!
Automotive exterior Bumper Floor Auto part Molding

Next week I get this fitted and painted and will post pics! Still waiting for my painted factory color grill to come in the mail.

Trying to get it all done before real summer.

**Need opinions for wheels (20"-21") and also any ideas on decent mufflers for decent price**

I will post vids for the x-pipe with stock muffler as soon as it's done because this x-pipe I haven't seen on any of the threads.

Thanks for the inspiration and ideas!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome and congrats on your new 6er! Love the Alpina bumper.

The biggest question on wheels is; "how much do you want to spend?". Vossen has some pretty nice offerings that aren't too expensive. Check out the CV1, CV2, and for a very sporty and aggressive look the CV3.

#6 ·
Thanks! I agree, the Vossen CV3's look so sharp. Cheapest I could find them was $2400 + tires...I wanted to spend a little less but those might twist the old arm

#3 ·
Nice!!! Looks like your fun is just begining :thumbup:

#7 ·
Where did you get your incurves??

#8 ·
Thx! haha it is creepy kind of. There's probably like 500 6'er owners who read all of this but will never come on.
For more mods, yes! Just popped in the Mtec V2 angel eyes, and I have to admit that was really frustrating. Much tighter quarters to work in then the e60 5 series.

Just had the x-pipe done yesterday, and I am in love with the sound. Actually, just going out with a friend to film the acceleration sounds through the tunnel, ******* revving, etc, to post on here!

#12 ·
Bought the lip from Schmiedmann. http://www.schmiedmann.es/
These guys were awesome and easy to deal with.

Had it mailed to the doorstep, payed an extra $105 for duty n taxes (grrrr) but somewhere along the lines the box was ripped open a bit and the adhesive mix to mount the lip was missing. So I will blame that on border gaurds.

Body shops have their own adhesive anyway. There is no hardware for mounting, all adhesive and double sided 3m tape pre-installed on the inside of the lip.
All together (lip, shipping and duty), it still was cheaper by $300 then buying the same thing from Ebay before shipping...
It comes in a box from Alpina, with Alpina brochures. The real deal! I will post pics this week coming up.

#14 ·
Mod Update - Alpina Lip, paint matching grill, eyebrow tint

Hey hey,

Finally had time to get on here and post some pics but I still have to figure out how to post a vid of the sound with the new x-pipe...Do I have to create a Youtube account then copy and paste the link on here for you guys to see?? I also want to be able to blur out the license plate then...suggestions?

I had the new Alpina front lip spoiler painted and installed. It looks so sharp and changes the look of the car.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Personal luxury car

Installed the paint matching grill, vinyl overlay for the amber corners, H7 DRL bulbs and foglight bulbs from Bimmian to get rid of the peepee yellow color and am really pleased with that as well.

I also found tint that is like the vinyl wrap so it can bend around curves with no bubbles or creases. I did the eyebrows on it, the side markers and reverse lights. Great product and easy to use.
Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Personal luxury car

I didn't mean to murder out the car but that's kind of how it's turning out. Keeping the little side chrome accent as is and the tailights as is too.

Next is research on Intake and wheels. Leaning away from the AFE intake and more to the RPI scoops with filter.
Has anyone gone directly to Dinan in Morgan Hill California and had parts installed there? Through the grapevine I was told that you can get better prices if you take your car there in person....is this true?

Any opinions on these wheels?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-AUTO-COU...tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#shId

Rubber will be expensive for 21"...My other option is OEM style 128's in 21". I wish I could find a deal on Alpina 21" off of the B7....:cry:

In summary haha I would like to know:

1)what's the easiest way to post a vid on here?
2)Is Dinan stuff cheaper if you go in person to Cali?
3)Opinions on these wheels (ebay link)..and if anyone knows what the build quality is like on OEM style 128 replicas? cause you can get the rims only for $850 on ebay new!
Thanks!

#15 ·
Yes, you pretty much need to open a youTube video account to post videos anywhere. Put tape over your plates before you shoot the video, the easiest way by far. Otherwise use something like Microsoft MovieMaker or Apple's iMovie to blur the plates.

I like the OEM style 128s better than those eBay wheels, which look like typical eBay wheels. ;)

#16 · (Edited)
She's looking great (a touch murdered as you mention but not over the top). Great job using search on the board - it has been a big help to me as well as I researched here for several months before buying mine. Seeing your pics reminded me that I still would like to hide the amber... Where did u get your overlays?

#18 ·
The eyebrow tint at least can come off very easily. Been reading up on the '08 lci led eyebrow swap..
I got the vinyl overlay for the ambers from Bimmian.com; they're like $45. Quite pricey if ya ask me. They come on a sheet, and it's a black vinyl piece with the grey vinyl strips on top. I photocopied them so if I messed up, I can make them instead. It does make a huge difference though :)

#17 ·
Oh and +1 on the preference for OEM/replicas over the eBay wheels in the link.

#19 ·
I agree with you boys (Yorgi & gregb) on the wheels. OEM 128's or freak chance of finding a deal on Alpina's..ha!

#21 ·
Thx! The eyebrows are stock but wrapped in a vinyl tint made for smoking out tail lights. I bought a 1' x 2' sheet for $10 from http://www.nmotionauto.com/ in Vancouver.

You don't have to remove the eyebrows to do this...

#23 ·
Yeah, the eyebrows look great. Good job all around. Which product did you buy from N-Motion.

Also, which turn sig wraps did you use?
The eyebrow tint is Oracal 8300 transparent vinyl. You can't use window tint, as it's a different product and it doesn't mold around corners. I tried :) haha sheer boredom. N-Motion carried 2 choices: a light smoke and dark smoke(or dark grey)...I can't remember the actual tint percentages.
They have it in stock, but it's not on their website. Contact them or call around, I'm sure you'll find it pretty easily.

The turn signal vinyl to cover the ambers in the headlight is from Bimmian.com. Read my last few posts.

#25 ·
Thanks mang! It's my favorite mod so far. Read this thread, I posted where I got all the mods from. Alpina lip is from Schmeidman. It will be cheaper then EBay.

#26 ·
Alright! finally found someone else who loves the Alpina stuff this much! Just finished installing the front and rear Alpina spoilers on my 2010 E64 Imola Red. Waiting on Deko kit to finish front. Got the 20" Racing Dynamics from USA Alpina dealer used. Looks great and subtle. Picts later!

#28 ·
Congrats man, i just picked up a 2009 650i coupe myself a few hours ago & ready for the mods

#29 ·
I went the full load on Alpina

My 2010 vert got the complete Alpina treatment - front and rear spoilers, graphics and wheels. Plus the complete Dinan treatment with a Britleman exhaust. Love it!
:rofl:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.