BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

HPFP -943 and updated software

11K views 90 replies 35 participants last post by  tibra1 
#1 ·
Can anybody with the updated HPFP part -943 and the latest software chime in to let us know how your car has been doing? I'm curious to know if people with the lastest "fix" is actually working or if even this latest fix is still failing as I haven't seen any posts on one or the other situation. :dunno:

Please post if you have the new pump -943 or not (as I understand some dealers are updating software and not pump unless the car throws a code and BMW HQ approves the pump replacement) and how long you've had the latest "fix."

Here's to hoping this lastest "fix" actually fixes the problem.

#3 ·
All of the posts that I've seen and the FAQ listed on the front page show 943. Maybe 933 is the "newest" part?

#5 · (Edited)
My understanding is -933 is now the pump being supplied to the dealers. It is a re-manufactured pump. Re-manufactured from what original part number, I don't know.

The car was given the -943 and updated sofware back in March...and 11k miles ago.

#7 ·
I got the software "upgrade." Did not solve the problem. Still have long cranks. In fact, over the weekend, car went into limp mode, running very rough and the "engine malfunction" light appeared. After stopping, turning off the car and restarting, it "fixed" the problem. Am trying to get in to get the dealer to look at it again. Am lobbying for the new pump for whatever its worth. Have been told by the dealer, they have to follow BMW "guidelines" and may or may not give me a new pump. Problem started at about 8200 miles, now about 9000.

#8 ·
:thumbdwn: Oh that SUCKS! Hopefully, BMW will eventually find a fix but I don't think so as it appears that they've moved on from the N54 to the N55.

Maybe the class action against them will bring some resolution to the situation.:dunno:

#9 ·
Beware new software

Answering yuour question. I posted something some time ago related to the "fix" BMW is trying to give us for the pumps. The new software they are "implanting" on our machines is a patch for them to stop the pump replacement, it does not mean the pump will not fail but it will stop the long cranks. But what it also does is turn your quick responsive sporty 335 on a slow shifting non responsive gas consuming piece of crap. When I first posted, some members answered that it would be my car only becuase no others posted problems, but happens that the new "software" was indeed new and not many had it, but just a matter of time and now if you search you will see many posts related to "slow shifting". Your transmission will take a long step when shifting from any gear to the other losing all sportiness. Switching to DS will barely improve the shift, and the engine lost its powerful immediate torque. A BMW mechanic who obviously is against the idea told me that this software decreases the boost so the pump lasts longer and gives BMW on the pump replacing issue. SO, if not needed, DO NOT let them update the software. If the pump is defective, it will fail, later with a software patch, so if it is going to fail I say let it fail sooner and keep your responsive, sweet shifting beast alive. Good Luck.

p.d. the dealer mechanic says the car is workings as engineered to work. Yeah Right ! for theyre conveninces and purposes you bet, not for why we buyed a 335 in the first place.

#10 ·
I would not have let them update the software but for the fact that I have Dinan S2. I called Dinan and asked them what happens after BMW updates. And they said, no worries, sfter BMW updates the software, then they have to reflash with the Dinan which fixes the fix. So, the update is just a necessary step in the process. BMW requires the software fix before they will replace the pump. So now the update has been done. So now maybe I can get a new HPFP. Will be taking in in next Tuesday. Will update.

#54 ·
Just got an email from my SA that my HPFP will be replaced. Trying to find out if it will be the -933 or -943. Although from a look at all the posts I am not sure it will make any difference. Will update.

#11 ·
I wonder how successul people have been in getting BMW to buy back their cars. I've seen little posts about the attempt but I can't say that I recall seeing any post about anybody successfully getting BMW to buy back their car. I believe BMW has bought back many prev gen 7 series due to all of the electrical gremlins so I'm curious to know if this could be considered the fuel pump gremlin and get some buy backs going. :dunno:

#12 · (Edited)
I got p/n -933 when my car went in for long cranks on 5/27. Got the new software too. I've put maybe 400 miles on the car since. The long cranks are gone, but I have definitely noticed different throttle response (slower) and turbo lag (more). I don't seem to be down on power at least. My car is 6MT so I don't have the "slow shifting" issue, but the lag is annoying.

Strangely I think my gas mileage has increased, but I've only filled it up once so I don't know if that's an aberration or what.

#13 ·
I would say that sums up my experience with this issue exactly and yes thank God I also have a 6MT.

My only hope is BMW comes back sometime soon with a better version of the 'required' software update to fix the residual lag problem.

#15 ·
Xfos is 100% correct!

Yes, I had the 943 HPFP and UNREQUESTED AND UNWANTED software update done on April 16. This was my second replacement and I could immediately tell that the step's shifting characteristics had been dramatically altered, especially in DS. I posted repeatedly back in April about my displeasure with this software change. As XFOS says, in my car there is virtually no difference now between D and DS. Only difference now is that DS holds the gear longer. Prior to the software update, in DS mode my 335i was a beast. I complained to the SA and got nowhere.

Now patiently waiting for my lease to expire so I can get into an S4........

#20 ·
Yes, I had the 943 HPFP and UNREQUESTED AND UNWANTED software update done on April 16. This was my second replacement and I could immediately tell that the step's shifting characteristics had been dramatically altered, especially in DS. I posted repeatedly back in April about my displeasure with this software change. As XFOS says, in my car there is virtually no difference now between D and DS. Only difference now is that DS holds the gear longer. Prior to the software update, in DS mode my 335i was a beast. I complained to the SA and got nowhere.
Same symptom with Step shifting behavior here: DS mode no longer aggressive. What I feel is that the gear holds long enough, but there's not enough oomph like it was before. The regular D mode becomes smoother, though.

Having said that, my theory is that with the new software, BMW got rid of the long cranks by priming the fuel pumps more often before starting the car, and reduced the "pumping surge" (ie, aggressive driving) in order to protect the HPFP. I guess they also introduced more lags in TCU so that HPFP can have longer time to respond during gear change/RPM change. Another band-aid solution it seems, until there is a durable HPFP design coming out (which seems to be forever). Way to go BMW! :thumbdwn:

Tim

#21 ·
Tim, you nailed it, that is the technical explanation, not much as a theory but more a fact.

#16 ·
I had the software upgrade and -943 HPFP replacement last month. The software upgrade took place first and then the original pump completely failed a few days later. The -943 pump was then installed.

Knowing this would eventually happen, I have monitored posts on this topic rather closely. I had a healthy dose of skeptism that my car "would return" following this repair.

I have to say that 1 month out, I am pleasantly surprised. Acceleration response seems improved, idle is much stable than it was before and I don't feel any turbo lag. So, thus far with me, the repair has been an improvement. That said, I am not naive enough to believe that this is a long-term fix for the HPFP. Many e90 owners are on their 2nd or 3rd, but thus far, I am pleased with mine.

As an additional qualifier, I exclusively use 93 octane gas. I have also tried to use fuel additives (Techron, etc.) on a regular basis. My OEM pump did not fail until 24,000 miles.

#18 ·
ooHHHH, I tried, believe me. I asked them to take that bug off my car and there was no way they would do it. They say they are not authorized to do so, they even spoke to someone else higher on management and immediately said NO. Is very clear an obvious, this software was made to get rid of the long cranks, so BMW will stay firm with it. I am going to write BMW AG with copy to BMW NA to specifically request a change of software either up or down so I can have my car back, this is not the one I bought originally.

Good luck

#22 ·
Hmm..this stinks. But it does seem that 6MT owners are not affected since we control the shifts. You STEP guys are getting a raw deal. I suppose this is why, when I tested a N55 x5, it did not feel as fast as it should for 300hp......

#23 ·
Unless one can shift as fast as ZF 6AT, the lag may not be noticeable with MT cars. The shifting was lightening fast previously, but with the new software it becomes 'lazy'.

Tim

#24 ·
AFAIK, the 943 pump is used in the n55. surprising, but it looks like the new engine is using the same pump design

#27 ·
the parts listing i have for the N55B30A:
*******>********>
01 13517594943 HIGH-PRESSURE PUMP4.52 1 $478.61
*******> ********>

#28 ·
the -943 pump has been replaced and is NLA at the dealer level, aside from stock on the ground already.

13-51-7-613-933 is the current part number, it is a RMFD pump with the internal improvements found in the -943. 943s are still going into new n54 and n55 cars, dealers will no longer be getting the new pumps, only the rmfd ones.

#34 ·
So after taking my car in for the dreaded HPFP failure after 38950 miles of HPFP-failure free driving, I got the remanufactured HPFP part 933 :thumbdwn: as is clearly written on my final work order. I can't decipher the final work order about what version software they re-flashed my car with or if they even did but my service advisor told me they did re-flash my car.

As far as driving difference, I can tell 100% for sure that there is a difference from where my car was and how it's performing now. Whereas before, I had the lurch from a start, the car now rolls off the line smoothly building power. This is a good and a bad because where before I had the lurch, it seemed that I was able to get up to speed quickly but now, it "feels" like I have to build power. I think the best way to decribe it is the power feels smoother now but it felt raw before. :dunno:

Here's to hoping that this fix will fix the dreaded HPFP failure. Of note, my SA did say that this was the de-facto fix as they (BMW) was aware that all of the previous "fixes" merely fixed one problem to create another problem but now, BMW has a handle on the problem and it should now be fixed. Let's see. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem so by the posting from some of the other members. :dunno:

#36 ·
I can't decipher the final work order about what version software they re-flashed my car with or if they even did but my service advisor told me they did re-flash my car.
The software upgrade should be on the work order. The vehicle data status version will look like this: E89x-10-03-504 (aka ISTA/P version 2.37.2, fka Progman 37.2).

I've gotten the software update, but no hardware replacement. I haven't noticed any difference in the shifting. The only thing I noticed was maybe a very slight improvement in throttle response and a few iDrive settings reverting back to the factory defaults.

#37 · (Edited)
Had the HPFP replaced last Wednesday @36K. About 3 weeks with long cranks before getting the engine malfunction light.
Found codes 29F2, 2FBF. Got the -933, RMFD. Tech says thats all they have. No -943's.
Paperwork states "reprogrammed vehicle with ISTA/P 37.2.0.4".

This is the 2nd replacement. 1st was at 15K, replaced with -881 version. No long cranks during the first incident, just an engine malfunction light.

Car is smoother on take-off in D mode. Power seems to be the same as before, but I have only put around 50 miles on it. Have not tried DS yet.

#44 ·
Spoke to my local dealer regarding the new -943 pumps and...

they said they have recently replaced a few of the latest and greatest -943 pumps! So it seems this new pump is NOT a fix.

I cannot see how software will truly fix a design issue with the pump. It can only delay failure at best.

Very disappointing.

#46 ·
I thought BMW had this sheeyat fixed already!

#51 ·
My SA did say that they were aware of all of the previous "fixes" not working and that the previous "fixes" would only fix the problem at hand but then would create another problem. My SA did claim that BMW finally has a handle on the situation and I'm guessing that it involves a replacement HPFP (943 or 933) and a reflash to the latest and greatest software version. Let's cross our fingers and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.