BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The earlier X3 owners ignored?

6K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  PPXYZ 
#1 ·
So the last crop of X3s have lousy transmissions and lousy suspension and provide a ride that goes bounce-bounce-jerk-jerk down the street. What in the world is so different that the next crop doesn't have long lasting problems that are ignored by BMW as well?

I have driven BMWs FOR YEARS and this is what I say:

:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

I don't understand why they would want to ignore their loyal, long term customer base like this.

#2 · (Edited)
For the benefit of any future reader coming upon this post, some context: PPXYZ bought a 2009 (prior generation) X3 and hates it. He complains of a poor ride and a jerky transmission. Complains a lot.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled programming.

#5 · (Edited)
I would hope that a prospective X3 buyer would do some 'net surfing and learn of common complaints or problems with the vehicle. There are plenty of discussions of automatic transmission problems and X3 ride, and potential buyers should be aware.

In this case, though, PPXYZ chose to post in the forum for the next-gen X3 that none of us have driven. It may or may not have a rough ride or a smooth ride and may or may not have transmission problems. But it is not the same vehicle.

How about if I have a bad experience with a used '95 Audi and come onto the BMW forums and post that "German cars suck; stay away from them!" Does not make much sense to me. :dunno: It's as if PPXYZ is angry at BMW in general and is attempting to retaliate in any way he can. Perhaps he should travel around the USA tossing bricks through the big windows of BMW dealership showrooms in the middle of the night... :eeps:

Edit: This thread belongs in the E83 X3 forum.

#6 · (Edited)
Actually the ride question was addressed in a very recent article on the new X3. To paraphrase, it went along the lines of: The overly stiff ride that had been the source of so many complaints has been addressed in the new model and was improved significantly. So, BMW was paying attention to all the voices calling out in the wilderness after all it seems. Now, of course we must drive it ourselves as LMC suggests to make our own decisions.:D Unfortunately I did not do enough due diligence back in '06 when I bought my X3 new and have suffered for it ever since. I learned from this experience however and will never let such a thing happen to me again (if I can help it).

#8 ·
Have a 2008 X3 with Sport Package, 18" wheels, the ride, while firm is great, on bad streets yes, you bump a bit, but at highways speeds is the perfect balance. Remember BMW's are sport cars, performance oriented and so the X3 handles much like a 3 series and not a SUV. If you want softness, go to Lexus, Infinity, Cadillac, or others (try to take a close corner at decent speed on any of those) . I recently test drove a Q5, while fit and finish are outstanding, engine, suspension, steering and braking are nothing compared to the already so called "outdated" X3. At least my X3 does not have any transmission problems. Totally happy with it. Even if there is no "new" X3, at end of lease we would get another exactly the same, just color change. But we are eying X1 or possibly new X3.

#9 ·
Totally agree on the ride at highway speeds. I had my 2010 X3 up to 120mph on the Autobahn and it felt pretty good. Sure, I felt the (very minor) bumps on the Autobahn, but it still felt very tight and sporty on the turns at high speed. None of the bumps were enough to wake the baby up - that's all that matters for us on a road trip!:thumbup:

#11 ·
As someone who had both an 06 & 07, I never thought the suspension or ride were bad. It's a sports car after all. Was it firm, yes. Thank god. Otherwise I would have been floating all over and wondering if it was going to flip over in corners or changing lanes.

I'll agree the 6speed auto sucked from 07 on.

Sent from my iPad using BimmerApp

#12 · (Edited)
LMC, yes I have driven every year except the '04 and the '10 and found no difference in the ride over a particular nasty stretch of pavement I have found to give me a benchmark for ride quality. On smooth asphalt roads the X3 is wonderful, however get it off that and onto a broken concrete freeway (the truck lane on I-5!) and it is horrible.:yikes: As far as the thesis of "you must have a very stiff ride for good performance" I do not subscribe to that. There are some very excellent cute utes out there with virtually the same or better (XC60) performance that have a very acceptable ride. I think the BMW engineers will get it right on the new one and that problem will go away along with the 6 speed transmission software problem, VANOS seal problem, and the high pressure fuel pump problem. That said, I still would not get one for at least a full year after they are built and introduced here. Actually I think I will be moving up a little, the X3 is getting too small for all the grandkids, so it will be a domestic three row like the Enclave for me next. :thumbup:

#19 ·
LMC, yes I have driven every year except the '04 and the '10 and found no difference in the ride over a particular nasty stretch of pavement I have found to give me a benchmark for ride quality. On smooth asphalt roads the X3 is wonderful, however get it off that and onto a broken concrete freeway (the truck lane on I-5!) and it is horrible.:yikes: As far as the thesis of "you must have a very stiff ride for good performance" I do not subscribe to that. There are some very excellent cute utes out there with virtually the same or better (XC60) performance that have a very acceptable ride. I think the BMW engineers will get it right on the new one and that problem will go away along with the 6 speed transmission software problem, VANOS seal problem, and the high pressure fuel pump problem. That said, I still would not get one for at least a full year after they are built and introduced here. Actually I think I will be moving up a little, the X3 is getting too small for all the grandkids, so it will be a domestic three row like the Enclave for me next. :thumbup:
That's where numbers can be deceiving.
I test drove a XC60 and thought it had some very nice points. It just didn't have that "connected" feeling I get with the X3. I didn't enjoy driving it.
Of course it is a matter of personal preference, and there is no "right or wrong" answer to which is better for an individual to like according to his particular tastes and needs.

I drove a 04 X3 for 6 years, and just got a 2010 X3 a couple of months ago. Yes on some road surfaces (bad concrete joints) you feel it much more than some other cars, but as far as overall package, I liked it enough to stick with it. As far as ride quality, replacing the OEM tires with Michelin Primicy's and lowering the pressure a couple of pounds hit my personal sweet spot.

So far my 2010 X3 has been flawless, no issues what so ever, and I like the refresh upgrades. IOW I'm happy.

I agree with others that to troll this section which is dedicated to the new design is out of line. Especially seeing that nobody yet owns one. If it weren't for my aversion to first year models, and my liking the old design so much, I might have waited for the re-design instead of getting the 2010.

#13 · (Edited)
For someone who had the dreaded 07 AT problems (not all people have them) and now an 08 MT I think the ride is what I would expect from an SUV that corners like my old Porsche. A little stiff, but well worth the trade off. This is coming from a person that has broken six vertebrae and 61 other bones in his body. Evil Knievel eat your heart out--here is Evlengr :rofl:

An additional note: I am waiting with crossed toes and fingers on the arrival of the new X3 3.5 sport version as it appears to be the answer to my prayers. An X3 snuck out back of the shed in South Carolina and got in on with an M3.

This thing has all the right curves. Not too skinny, not too fat, fast when no one is looking and refined when you are out to dinner with the in laws. Hopefully she will behave and be what we all want :angel:

#14 ·
So the last crop of X3s have lousy transmissions and lousy suspension
Coming from this user, I won't bother on elaborate, I can just say please read all his posts from the past.

Besides that, I LOVE my 2005, love the suspension, and love the transmission. tnxby.

#18 ·
cer, I did take the X3 for a very long test drive, actually two. My problem which I freely admit was that I didn't think to take it over some nasty road surfaces, the roads I drove were smooth. Only after I had the thing did I discover it was horrible on rough roads. The fact that it has been bulletproof as far as reliability is concerned has kept me in the car this long. It has also turned out to be a useful little thing too. The new Michelin tires helped somewhat, and have proven to be an improvement over the old OEM 18" scorpions. BTW this is my 5th BMW so I am very familiar with the marque.:bigpimp:

#21 ·
Since we're all weighing in here with our own opinions, I guess I should state for the record that my '08 X3 with sport package has a wonderful ride, in my opinion. Not 1970s Buick cushy, but not harsh either. It has the typical BMW sporty yet comfortable ride that is a big factor in bringing me back to the dealer time after time to buy BMWs and to specify the sport package when I do.

That said, I don't think the experience and opinions of folks like Uncle J (who's owned a number of BMWs in the past) can be discounted. Since I know exactly how BMWs drive, I don't worry too much about extensive test drives. If I were to order a new BMW and find that the driving dynamics were poor under some conditions, I would be :mad:! In the case of the original poster PPXYZ, I don't remember details about what vehicle he came to the X3 from and how extensively he test-drove the car. If somebody came from a 1970s Buick (which they loved) and bought an X3 without a test drive, I would call their disappointment a self-inflicted wound.

#22 ·
Well put. In the interest of full disclosure the car I came from was an A4 Quattro, but the car (truck actually) I drove most was a Tahoe. In no way would I compare the X3 to the Tahoe, which was/is a truck pure and simple. The only Buick I have ever owned was a '53 Skylark and I wish I still had it!:p

#23 · (Edited)
PP -- if i were BMW I would do everything i could to ignore you.

1. My 08 X3 with MT is the best driving car I have ever had -- ride, transission, handling. (came from 2 audis and 3 saabs before that)

2. Nothing in your post makes any sense. As usual.

3. Crazy concept -- things change. It is just possible that the things you dont like about your X3 will be corrected in the new generation model.

4. Please dont take this personally, but you are an annoying git .

#24 · (Edited)
My last car was a 5 series...you know...a BMW.

So there.

The ride was sporty, not mushy and not cushy. It was comfortable and the handling was great. I have no problem with the handling of the X3 or the solid ride in bad conditions. I like the interior, the power, the ample glass including the glass roof.

The ride sucks.

The transmission sucks but less than the ride.

So there.

:p

I have also driven other 5 and 3 series sedans and their rides were sporty and comfortable and the transmissions shifted like butter. I really liked the 2010 (I think it was) 328 (I think it was) but it is much too small to be practical.

I started this thread in order to comment on the fact that the long standing customers are still waiting for another sw upgrade (rumored but obviously no longer coming) to fix the jerky transmission and the grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the engine makes because it refuses to shift up after even a slight hill.

That last bit was supposed to have been fixed but it still happens intermittently even with the latest sw.

So there.

:D

I forgot to add that I did not see this site until after I started having problems with the car. If I had read the sticky (was it a sticky back then?) I would have gone for something else. It wasn't as if I was in love with the fugly to begin with but I did not love anything else out there either. Cars are starting to look alike and to be so much alike that nothing stands out particularly in this area. What has gone on before with this model is VERY MUCH APROPOS to the 2011's. Why would it not be?

It is just like saying that because BMW chose to give it a different E, F, G, H, Q whatever moniker it is magically a different car. Bully.

#26 ·
I have only two complaints about my 2008 MT and handling and ride are not them.

The complaints are:

• Crappy oem sound system. They could have easily made space for better speakers. No apologies for my comments. I like good quality audio. Its what I do.
  • BMWNA's way of handling CS. By the time they reluctantly agree to fix something you are so mad you forget the problem and are just mad at BMW. Just say sorry that happened we will do our best to take care of it, and move on.

With that said, it has to be a good vehicle or I wouldn't be looking forward to test driving the new 35 version and this after having to call BMWNA to the mat.

#27 · (Edited)
Owned '06 for three years, and then returned to buy a '09 X3 for wife. Happy with both year's model. Ride quality on '06 was a bit firm to my taste but it is such a practical vehcle and fun to drive -- had to get a second one and it turned out the '09 X3 was much better in ride quality. Nonetheless, both ride quality and transmission questions were well advertised since the inception of the X3... I don't know how one can miss it by '09 or '10.

My other car is a 2010 528xi (was 2006 325xi -- that was a harsh ride with RFT)... so sporty and comfortable, etc... but that doesn't stop me enjoy the driving characteristics of X3.Crappy sound system? Absolutely true, even in '09 model. Whenever I switch cars, I was amazed how much better the regular OEM sound system in 3er or 5er was.

Looking forward to the new X3 - looks like the interior is upgraded and hopefully the stereo as well!

#28 ·
Well advertised where? Here?

The net is full of fluff, nonsense and propaganda. It is hit or miss on finding factual information about these issues even today.

I love the 'blame the customer' attitude which says that the customer is so stupid and inept to have purchased this (or any) car (or product.) Yes, that works for future business.

The fact is that the transmission in the X3 is 'hinky' and the suspension blows. You should not have a car that jerks and slams when accelerating or decelerating or that bounces like a basketball down paved city streets.

Note that the dealer agreed that something was up after driving the car. They were also expecting a s/w update to deal with the transmission issues and they thought that maybe the packing restraints were still on in regards to the ride.

#29 ·
Well advertised where? Here?

The net is full of fluff, nonsense and propaganda. It is hit or miss on finding factual information about these issues even today.

I love the 'blame the customer' attitude which says that the customer is so stupid and inept to have purchased this (or any) car (or product.) Yes, that works for future business.

The fact is that the transmission in the X3 is 'hinky' and the suspension blows. You should not have a car that jerks and slams when accelerating or decelerating or that bounces like a basketball down paved city streets.

Note that the dealer agreed that something was up after driving the car. They were also expecting a s/w update to deal with the transmission issues and they thought that maybe the packing restraints were still on in regards to the ride.
Harsh ride on X3 was criticized by auto journalists back in 2003! It never really won any journalists' praise on that regard ever after. If one doesn't check that out carefully on test drive, what else?

Well, assume you are right about the problems, I consider myself luck that I don't have a transmission problem and the ride quality is fine for me. I knew what I needed and what I was buying. Firm ride aside, there are lot of good things about the car. Q5, Rx, etc. didn't work for me.

Now I stop discussing the last generation X3 on this thread.

#31 ·
The internet is 1 piece of fact smothered by 100 pieces of errors, lies and outright propaganda. It does no one any good to try and squash uncomfortable facts.

The fact is that the X3 has a herky jerky transmission, bouncy suspension, curious (and potentially mind-numbingly expensive) problems with leaking sunroofs, peeling paint, etc. Burying the problems do not cause them to magically disappear.

The new one has a new transmission....so did the last model :yikes: New does not mean better or even fixed.

#32 ·
Why do you continue to troll this forum and this section in particular?
Its one thing to post your garbage in the 2004-2010 X3 section for your observations regarding that platform, but it's ridiculous to post your nonsense here in the section for the new platform dedicated to a which you have never driven yet owned.

Signed,
Happy owner of a trouble free 2004 X3 now traded in on a trouble free 2010 X3

#33 ·
Well to transition the thread to be related to the board, I'll say this:

I'm disappointed that they made the suspension adjustments optional on the F25. From what I gather, they greatly dampened it for normal and then included the optional package in case you would like to stiffen it up (sport/sport plus). I hope this is the case and not that you need to buy the optional package just to dampen it.

The suspension adjustment should have just been standard. I hope it is not too expensive.

#35 ·
Average drivers do not like a firm ride. More often than not in a BMW, one will hear "oh it rides too hard" on a test drive, as opposed to "Why can't this thing go around a bend at 80km/h?". BMW sets up their standard suspensions to suit 75th percentile drivers. The rest of us who regularly drive on roads that demand a firm suspension for stability and control will simply be willing to pay more for adjustability.

#40 ·
The Performance Centre in SC does have a track but it's not open unless you pay for one of their programmes. I know they have an off-road one with the X5 but I am sure the will open it up to the X3 once sales start flowing.

I don't push cars to their absolute limits when test driving. It's bad abuse on the vehicle that isn't necessary. There are enough decent roads in Central VA within the vicinity of BMW dealers (ok, at least Richmond and Charlottesville BMW) that one can get a feel of a variety of conditions. Because dealer cars aren't equipped the way I like them, I usually just drive the closest approximation, then gauge my reactions to what's on the car. For example, if I think the car isn't stable enough on the highway or on backroads, then I'd just opt for the upgrade. Realistically, I've driven a fair number of BMWs so eventually one knows what the various options will feel like.

#41 ·
Yeah...bot times I've bought a car, I already had an idea of which car I wanted so the test drive was just a formality to see if the car felt OK. It might have been more fun if I was really torn between 3 different cars, let's say...then you could see which you liked best.

There's not too much I would cut out. I must admit the Park distance control is not critical to have (I might cut that)...but then I'd probably add the camera...lol Maybe I use PDC and I'm spoiled and unappreciative...lol If I do find out that the normal has the dampest suspension, I might just try to drive with that and see if it feels OK. I'd love it if an expert could compare the older X3 and the newer X3 on courses and claim that there is no worsening in control with the new dampening...if that happens, I would absolutely skip the optional option to make it firmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.