BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tires Tires Tires

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Prometheus 
#1 ·
So it is time for new rear tires..... I have a 2001 4.4i with sport suspension and run 285/45 19 on the rear, always Michelin. OE was the Latitude Diamaris, expensive & doesn't last long. I switched to the Latitude Tour HP which I loved, better price & way better tread life but they no longer make this tire in my size :-(. All of the tire places around me just want to sell me the Diamaris and send me on my way. After doing a ton of research I have still made no decision. I understand that choosing a tire is a personal thing and I don't want someone to "tell me what to buy" but I would LOVE some input on some other tire choices. I don't know anyone else with an X5 and most of the tire sites have reviews by non x5 owners.

All that being said, I live in a warm climate with a good bit of rain. I am an aggressive driver and 3/4 of my driving is done on the interstate if you include trips. I drive a lot and am looking for handling, good tread life and low noise (not too much to ask from a tire right). From reading I have found people like Continental Cross Contact UHP, Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport & Turanza ER30, Hankook Ventus AS RH07 and Pirelli P Zero & Scorpion. I know the newer X5's have come with bridgestones and continental's. I read a few people like Toyo and Yokohama as well, but don't think they come in 285.... Like I said, most reviews on multiple tire sites were from non X5 drivers and ranged from they are awesome to they were awful, noisy and didn't last long..... So, I would love to hear from some fellow x5 owners what they like so I can make a educated choice. I don't really want to give in to the "oh just buy the over priced Diamaris because that is what we have and will fit and shut up".

I thank you in advance for any advice, reviews and opinions you can share!

See less See more
#2 ·
My used X5 came with Nankang Surpax SP-5s. I have the 255/50R19 fronts & 285/45R19 rears. These tires are sold at Sears, and no complaints so far. At least they're quiet, and they're less expensive than the top-shelf tires. Treadware 420, A Temp, AA Traction. Pretty quiet.

Sears Nankang Link

If you're looking to balance tire life against performance/safety, note the treadwear rating. The Diamaris have a treadwear rating of 220. That's performance car stickiness, which means they wear pretty quickly, which is why they're 25,000 mile tires. A treadware of 420 (Hankook Ventus) gets you 50,000-65,000 miles.

Seems like every review on Tire Rack is how awful all tires are. At least in this tire size.

#3 ·
Thanks for your response, I really appriciate the info! Unfortunately I couldn't wait any longer to get my car back on the road and ordered some tires a few days ago. I went with the bridgestones..... So I'll see how they roll. I am familiar with tread wear ratings and have read so much about tires I could start my own store lol!

I still wonder about the hankooks as I see a lot of "fancy" SUVs running them, just not in our size, but every tire store I talked to said they were crap (which probably means I should have ordered them). I actually use my x5 for things other than driving fast (i drive fast too) so I hope the bridgestones work out!

#6 ·
tires

I am now in the same position as you were. I have original Michelin summer tires, but have been looking for an all season tire that I can occasionally use in snow. I saw your post. How do you like your Bridgestone dueler sport tires? Are they all season? I have an X-5 4.4 with staggered tire sizes. I didn't see those Bridgestone tires in the 285/4519 size. Thanks for your response.

#7 ·
I use Hankook Ventus, this is an excellent tyre for all x5s and you have excellent traction at high speeds, they last a long time , the rubber very durable and at $359AU each, is value for money. My BMW authorised mechanic keeps saying how good these tyres are. I've had them for 4 years and still plenty of tread left.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#9 ·
Thank you for your replies. It looks like I will be purchasing the Hankook Ventus tires.
They didn't seem to get great reviews on the Tire Rack website. However, there does not seem to be much choice in the 285 size. So, I'm hoping your experience will forebode a good experience with these tires.

#10 ·
The bridgestones do come in 285/45-19, that is what I have on the rear of my x5. I guess they are fine so far at almost 2000 miles. I still have the Michelins on the front and they need to be replaced soon. If I would have gotten some feedback on the hankooks I probably would have gone with them. Tire rack and just about every other retail place said they were awful, which I should know by now means, they are fantastic! I know most of the audi q5's & q7's run them.... Anyhow I will replace the fronts with the bridgestones to give them a fair chance, but next time around I'll go with the hankooks.
zachthefcr, since you and I share the same 4.4 with staggered tire size I would love to hear how you like the hankooks! When I do run across another x5 like ours most of the time they just run the fancy high dollar Michelins..... Which I am totally over & will not be running those ever again. I'll give an update on the bridgestones after I replace the fronts and as time rolls on.

#11 ·
Trust me, no problem with the Hankooks. They are smooth and provide excellent traction, fast speeds and great road hug, feel and steering response, as if they're made just for x5! My BMW master mechanic cannot fault them and said my car has stayed in good shape because of these tyres.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.