BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is the Z4 M Dead?

10K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  gotoschoolhere 
#1 ·
Anybody know?

That would be terrible :(

#3 ·
Well, I hope that's the case this time around. I love the new styling and the integration of a folding hard top makes the car that much more usable.

But I would want a more hard edged model, tuned by M as a companion to my current bimmer.

I guess I could always get an X5/X6 M as a companion :)

#5 ·
That means they've completely torn down the production lines and are remaking them for the new Z4. Pretty safe bet that the Z4 M is no more.
That statement does not make any sense at all. If they don't make the ///M version it's because they don't feel that there is a business case for it not because the production line for it has disappeared. Believe me, if they feel they can make a profitable product they will gladly re-build the production line for it.

#9 ·
If the past has anything to say then about 3 years down the road a new MZ4 will show up with a version of the M3's V8...priced somewhere in the 60k range to start. There's been plenty of talk about it already having enough room under the hood for the 8 to fit and I'm sure BMW designed it that way just in case they change their minds.

#10 ·
The review of the new Z4 in this month's Winding Road on line magazine states that a Z4 M will be coming and they state that they were told this by BMW personnel. Time will tell. If it happens, It will probably push 80K and cost at least as much as the M3 convertible.
My Z4M coupe was and is a steal at 52K new. Think I'll just keep driving it....

#12 ·
I'll believe it when I see it.

The upcoming Z4 35i will be able to easily make 350 hp with a conservative tune.

If they made another Z4M it would have a ridiculous power/weight ratio.

I'm all for it, but if BMW keeps upping the power ante, they're eventually going to run out of room.

#16 ·
I have no idea about the prospect of an ///M version of the new Z4, but I got to see the new car at Bimmerfest yesterday. There was a blue one and a silver/bronzeish colored one there. They looked awesome! Very nice fit and finish. Super sexy lines. I predict the car will be a hit, even though it's going to be very expensive for such an impractical car. Trunk space is limited with the top down and getting into the trunk with the top down looks like it could be a little challenging, but wow, the car looks terrific!

#21 ·
Bean counters. They sell far more SAV's than they do Z cars, so if you make a ton more money on M cars, why not make them for the models you sell a lot of.... SAVs.

If they sold 30K old style Z4 M's we wouldn't be having this discussion. There WOULD be a new Z4M.

#31 ·
Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't a new Z4M (with a V8) potentially cannibalize the 6 series market (or viceversa). I mean both are essentially 2 seaters (6 series obviously has a useable rear seat) but I think a lot of people would seriously consider a Z4M with NA V8 loaded for 60-65k before shelling out 70+ for a 650i or 6 drive50i. That I think would be true especially in this market. Sure there would be people who would get the 650i or 6 drive50i because that's what they want, but the majority of "on the fence buyers" would probably opt for the M car + being cheaper. The way I see it the current lineup minus the M makes sense from BMW's financial standpoint in the same way the Cayman was deliberately engineered to be the halfway point between the boxster and the 911, although the enthusiast in me would love to see another Z4M (especially if they have deals on it like the outgoing Z4M).

#32 ·
An M with a V8 wouldn't compete with a 6 series. When was the last time you saw a guy with a 6 take it to the track? I saw an M5 once at the track and the shear weight of the car did it in. A 6 buyer wants straight line speed with all the techno goodies and a luxo ride.

A Z4M with a V8 is what BMW needs. The M3 is awesome, but just to big for a real sports car. A Z4M with a V8 would lure all kinds of new buyers to BMW so long as BMW lets the car outpace the M3. Give it the right gearing and suspension and don't dumb it down engine management. Hell, give it a sequential tranny too.

With this car the Z4 would finally take the pole on the Cayman S, TTS, Corvette, 370Z and many others.

The idea in making cars is to steal other automakers marketshare. A v8 Z4M would do that. Just imagine the sound coming out of that littel car. It would be awesome:thumbup:.

#33 ·
The new Z4 M is a no go for now. During the first screening of the new Z4 I spoke to the guy in charge of the Z4 production and had a discussion on the Z4M. I told him that that car is one of the best two door Euro's that you can get and it sucks that they are not making it. I don't remember exactly what reason he gave me but it deals with demand primarily.

#34 ·
The V8 is dead. BMW is doing twin-turbo V6 and... inline-3 engines (yes, a direct-injection 1.5-liter Inline-3 is rumored).

Chip the existing twin-turbo 3.0-liter, upgrade the suspension, brakes, wheels.... and you have a killer Z4.

- Mike

#38 ·
Chip the existing twin-turbo 3.0-liter, upgrade the suspension, brakes, wheels.... and you have a killer Z4.
+1

The V8 is dead. BMW is doing twin-turbo V6 . . .
I hope the venerable inline 6's are not being phased out. I know you can build killer "V" configuration engines, but I love the in-line 6's in the Z4's. The world has forgotten what the words "sports car" originally meant.

Below are my first true loves (yes I'm dating myself). They may not have been terribly fast or quick, or handle super sharp by today's standards. But they are true sports cars in every sense; light, basic and fun to drive.

Attachments

#35 · (Edited)
Problem I see with the new Z4 M (if it comes to fruition) is the price. The i35 is already sticker'ing at $60+ and dangerously treading in the Porsche territory.

This is the same reason why previous Z4 M models have faltered. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see an expansion of the ///M line, but BMW is in a unique niche.

BMW is a sports/luxury car whereas Merc is a Luxury car that has AMG lines of cars. So Merc can get away with asking an arm and a leg for the SLK AMG. As such, BMW's niche market is similar to Porsche's and both companies vie more or less for the same demographic when it comes to the Z4 or Boxster. Both cars are superior and have their unique and ideosyncratic characteristics (I will admit that the Porsche out preforms the Z4).

Hence, long story short, I can see why BMW may not be brining the Z4 M back. But I do think they will... perhaps in limited numbers, for those true BMW fans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.