BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Group April Sales

4K views 65 replies 17 participants last post by  408Racer 
#1 ·

Something i noticed last month and this month. For whatever reason X1 is grouped with passenger cars. If it was grouped with SUVs, as i think it should be, passanger car sales are down in 2013 vs 2012. I wonder why BMW groups X1 with sedans and coupes and if the decrease is a trend accross the industry or specific to BMW. F30 continues to slide as well.

See less See more
#8 ·
I think it's because it's not really an SUV. It's more like a wagon. It's built on the E90 chassis IIRC.
Last months, it was a 10.x% decline compared to the same time last year, now it's 8.x%. It will shrink even more or be gone altogether next month. The X1 is E90 based, maybe that is why they consider it a car.
I am not 100% sure, but isn't X3 based on the 3er as well?

#7 ·
Last months, it was a 10.x% decline compared to the same time last year, now it's 8.x%. It will shrink even more or be gone altogether next month. The X1 is E90 based, maybe that is why they consider it a car.

#12 ·
This is obviously a trend and if it continues at this rate by 2089 BMW will onlly be selling 9 3 Series per month.

CA

#17 ·
This is obviously a trend and if it continues at this rate by 2089 BMW will onlly be selling 9 3 Series per month.
True, but adjusting for inflation those will be the 13.5 Series in current-year model designations, so it evens out. :dunno:

#21 · (Edited)
Just to make this conversation a bit more interesting:

In April 2005, E90 sedan was sold next to E46 coupe/convertible. From April 2005 sales report: "3 Series were up over 59% when compared to last April."
This again? You only have one datapoint.

We covered this ground. Coupes and Convertibles nosedive 30%+ once the new bodystyle Sedan launches:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7112548&postcount=91

Nope. See the post above in reference to E46 vs E90 sales when it came out.
"Summarized, BMW had a staggered launch of the E90 where it was available in Europe prior to the US by a period of 3 months and they used to break out Sedan vs. other styles which they don't do anymore, so the data is a bit dicey to interpret. Big picture, the E90 saw dips in sales vs. the E46 for the first 6-12 months of its life. The Coupes and Convertibles particularly were hit hard once the Sedan launched. For the first three periods BMW reported the E90 on which are somewhat congruent to the first two periods BMW reported the F30 on, the E90 dipped 3 Series sales (19%) and (11%) then (3%) below E46 levels."

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7112548&postcount=91

BJ

#18 ·
All of this Efficient Dynamics crap doesn't help the sales I can tell you, or the AH3.

Competition is fierce in this segment. Yes, it probably 50% the coupe/vert switch over but the rest are some great cars from the Germans.

After 3 months I have only seen 2 other 335i F30s, so I like seeing the sales down.

#31 · (Edited)
There was no X1 in NA so it is shown as such in the first schedule, the 2nd one shows it as it had been sold for nearly two years elsewhere. BMW would not want to group it with the cars as the -30% would look terrible. If it helps, they will group it later on lol.

#42 · (Edited)
If BMW sales continue to grow at the current rate by the year 2110 BMW will sell 12 Billion cars.

The UN estimates that the world population in 2110 will be 10.5 billion so in 2110 everyone on earth will own at least one new BMW.

The question is at that point will BMW still be a status symbol?

CA

#48 ·
So in other words if I put BJ on ignore I will turn Bimmerfest into an F30.

:bigpimp:

CA

P.S.

Only kidding, only kidding!

#52 ·
Although Feb is a good month to buy -- because new models are a matter of months away -- I felt BMW was hurting due to the deep discounts I commanded. Could have bought loaded M Sports from a dozen different dealers at well under invoice so I knew I was in driver's seat. I believe BMW is the ultimate driving machine with the caveat that its quality control sucks. That's one factor I think is hurting the company above and below the line.

A second factor is BMW has leaned too hard on its slogan and its marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product. In other words BMW's advertising and marketing sucks! Having spent a dozen years on Mad Ave and the rest of my career in Hollywood I think I'm qualified to make such a comment.

#53 · (Edited)
Although Feb is a good month to buy -- because new models are a matter of months away -- I felt BMW was hurting due to the deep discounts I commanded. Could have bought loaded M Sports from a dozen different dealers at well under invoice so I knew I was in driver's seat. I believe BMW is the ultimate driving machine with the caveat that its quality control sucks. That's one factor I think is hurting the company above and below the line.

A second factor is BMW has leaned too hard on its slogan and its marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product. In other words BMW's advertising and marketing sucks! Having spent a dozen years on Mad Ave and the rest of my career in Hollywood I think I'm qualified to make such a comment.
So let me see if I have this straight.

BMW quality control sucks but their marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product.

How about a new slogan.

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine (if you can keep the POS running).

Has a nice ring to it! :thumbup:

CA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.