BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cadillac ATS Wins 2013 North American Car of the Year

12K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  asus389 
#1 ·
Cadillac ATS Wins 2013 North American Car of the Year

The 2013 Cadillac ATS luxury sport sedan today was named the winner of the North American Car of the Year award.

A jury of 49 automotive journalists considered every new car released in the past year, and selected ATS as the winner. The award was announced at a press conference opening the 25th annual North American International Auto Show.

"This is a very meaningful honor for the entire Cadillac team, especially the men and women who build the ATS in Lansing, Michigan, and our dedicated and talented designers and engineers," said Bob Ferguson, GM vice president, global Cadillac. "A car like ATS is the result of incredible commitment and focus. That's the only method for creating a great performing luxury car."

The new ATS is the lightest car in its class with a unique architecture designed for nimble driving performance. The North American Car of the Year award is the latest in a growing list of accolades for the ATS, which was named Car of the Year by Esquire, and the Motor Press Guild, as well as several other awards.

A compact sport sedan, the ATS is offered in rear- and all-wheel drive versions, with a choice of powerful and efficient four- and six-cylinder engines. It recently received a 5-Star overall crash test rating in the New Car Assessment Program run by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

See less See more
#4 ·
I looked semi-seriously at the ATS until I sat in it and tried to work the touch-screen. It's freaking awful. That's a dealbreaker, ladies!

#11 · (Edited)
A "modern" system that is designed so the driver has to take his hand off the wheel and eyes off the road to try to touch virtual target in a moving car jiggling over a rough road. What could possibly go wrong? At the Cadillac event I went to the first thing the grey haired men looking at the car at the same time I was (the only other people looking at it) noticed about the CUE screen was that it was covered in fingerprints.

Excellent choice by a group of unbiased knowledgeable experts who obviously put a lot of thought and research into . , , , , , , , ,

Oh wait, Cadillac won? Not BMW?

That clueless, inept and incompetent group of fools were obviously bribed.

The ATS is car for old people. I recently had the opportunity to sit in an ATS at an Auto show, I looked in the rear view mirror and was shocked to see that there was some old fart sitting in the car. I was even more shocked when I realized I was looking at my own reflection,

CA
Who was on the jury? North American journalists, it would seem. The ATS's popularity kind of reminds me of the popularity of a certain Johnny-come-lately politician. It's new, exciting, and unexpected. Reviewers are very taken with the idea of it, even if the reality is actually less. The ATS is good. That is true. But, I think the current reaction to it here in the U.S. has more to do with automotive types' excitement and glee at the fact that it is produced by a U.S. automaker than the actual reality of the car. btw - yes, I have actually driven the car.

#12 ·
A "modern" system that is designed so the driver has to take his hand off the wheel and eyes off the road to try to touch virtual target in a moving car jiggling over a rough road. What could possibly go wrong? At the Cadillac event I went to the first thing the grey haired men looking at the car at the same time I was (the only other people looking at it) noticed about the CUE screen was that it was covered in fingerprints.

Who was on the jury? North American journalists, it would seem. The ATS's popularity kind of reminds me of the popularity of a certain Johnny-come-lately politician. It's new, exciting, and unexpected. Reviewers are very taken with the idea of it, even if the reality is actually less. The ATS is good. That is true. I think the current reaction to it here in the U.S. has more to do with automotive types' excitement and glee at the fact that it is produced by a U.S. automaker than the actual reality of the car. btw - yes, I have actually driven the car.
Did you not hear Captain? The ATS is for old people and the judges were bribed.

#7 ·
Excellent choice by a group of unbiased knowledgeable experts who obviously put a lot of thought and research into . , , , , , , , ,

Oh wait, Cadillac won? Not BMW?

That clueless, inept and incompetent group of fools were obviously bribed.

The ATS is car for old people. I recently had the opportunity to sit in an ATS at an Auto show, I looked in the rear view mirror and was shocked to see that there was some old fart sitting in the car. I was even more shocked when I realized I was looking at my own reflection,

CA

#24 ·
I drove the ATS when it first came out. It is really quite good. The main thing that drives me nuts about it (and a lot of recent GM cats) is the use of shiny black trim in the center console. Oh and the fact that they seem to have followed BMW right off the cliff with the use of Run Flat tires. Ahh well at least they seem to use Michelin run flats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.