BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

MY14 X3, Production starts April 2013

78K views 546 replies 74 participants last post by  CKelley3 
#1 ·
Just read the posting from "Ask a Dealer", production for the MY14 X3 will begin April 13th and run through March 2014. Timing is perfect for my timeline as we were planning delivery early to mid June for my wife's order. I will be curious to see what changes are going to be rolled into the start of production.

#389 ·
That's very fast! I guess I was not that lucky as you are :) My production number is like 20k more than yours.

Just our of curiosity, do you happen to know how the production number works? I checked several and could not figure out a pattern (which are for X3's, which are for others'). But I think the production number should indicate at least the order of production for the same model, right?

Am I too crazy digging into this? Sorry for that......

#390 ·
I have NO idea how the production numbers work. I was just price shopping around and chose the dealer that I liked best. I went in on Friday morning, signed the PO and they submitted the order. I went back and asked today about changing a minor thing and learned that it was not possible because it was already being built!

#391 ·
Hmm... I ordered mine on April 6th and my production number is 6939***. It's already out of production and according to the 800 number, it's awaiting a shipping vessel :) Hopefully it'll come soon, but after reading so many posts about delivery times, I'll be glad if it makes it by the end of next week :rolleyes:

#392 ·
That's fast! I think your dealer had an available when you placed your order! Good timing!

I actually went to my dealer March 30th and left my deposit. But I had some financing issues and it took me a week to let them finally put the order into the system. :(

I looked at the system earlier this evening and tried several production numbers to see their production status. Hopefully the wait is not going to be too long.

Anyway, I think your X3 will arrive soon! Enjoy it!

#393 ·
Hi Haodang,

I don't think the production numbers are in any serial order. My production # is 6957*** and it has still not gone into production. I called my dealer this evening and he says that they have enough allocation and he is expecting it to go into production any day. I still do not know how this whole system works. Anyways, I think it wil be worth the wait!

#394 ·
Hi Haodang,

I don't think the production numbers are in any serial order. My production # is 6957*** and it has still not gone into production. I called my dealer this evening and he says that they have enough allocation and he is expecting it to go into production any day. I still do not know how this whole system works. Anyways, I think it wil be worth the wait!
Hi rao112, thanks for the info. Hopefully it will be soon. :)

#396 ·
Hi Sfiermon,

Thanks for update again. Which number are you calling? I am getting all my information from the "track my BMW" site and it is still not scheduled for production.

Anyways, seems like your process is going very quick. Congratulations!

#398 ·
Hi Sfiermon,

Thanks for update again. Which number are you calling? I am getting all my information from the "track my BMW" site and it is still not scheduled for production.

Anyways, seems like your process is going very quick. Congratulations!
Yeah, Sfiermon got it done so quickly! Wish mine could be the same. :)

rao112: if I am not wrong, I believe/hope yours will start very soon (these several days), if you check in the system, the lower 6957*** are being processed. Yours should be coming as well.

#401 · (Edited)
I just ordered by 2014 on Wednesday. Went into production this morning (4/18) with a production completion date listed as (4/25). The website still says order documented, but the phone number was updated this morning with the info on the production and date.

Pretty excited! Hopefully once it finishes production, it's a short trip up to NJ for delivery!

Edit: my production number is 6957***

#402 ·
Once my build was complete (Saturday 13) the x3 took 3 days to central jersey (circle BMW, arrived Wednesday 10th) picking up today

#405 · (Edited)
I think there are a number of factors. I am speaking in hypothetical possibilities here, not what the actual reason is for your specific vehicle being built when it is - for that you'd have to ask your dealer or BMW manufacturing.

BMW Manufacturing in the USA uses a "just-in-time" method for assembly of cars. They keep zero or smallest possible inventory of parts. For example, seats are pulled right off the transport truck from the seat vendor and placed directly onto the vehicle. That means the seats have to be loaded into the transport by the seat vendor in the order they will be used on the assembly line.

Many parts are shipped from Europe to the USA for the X3. The majority of the content of the X3 is European (Germany or Austria, I think)

I am sure that certain parts are used on European vehicles that are different than parts used on USA vehicles. It could be that the parts for European vehicles were coming into Spartanburg a bit laer than for USA vehicles so "export" cars were scheduled by the factory later than USA cars.

And then there is matter of the the production slots that were assigned to your dealer. Maybe your dealer did not have any early April slots becasue they didn't sell enough X-cars last year or whatever the reason is for the number of slots they get. Or they used them for other customers. Or your dealer could have traded early April Spartanburg production slots to another dealer in exchange for production slots fom the Munich plant because they had more custyomer demand for cars from Munich.

Lots of possible factors....

I am sorry you are having to wait so long.

#413 ·
For all you guys who have taken deliveries of their 2014's; is the APR still 3.1 % for 2014? I read somewhere that the APR from BMW financial has gone up for the 2014

#418 ·
I ordered on 3/27. Car went into production on 4/9 and was delivered today. Got a call from my CA that the car is here but (and there was a pause) it is TOTALLED. :bawling:

Apparently the delivery truck did not tie one of his harness chains properly and it just slammed one side of the car while swaying randomly at highway speeds. The windows, side door, etc, everything is dented. They are claiming the car a total loss. :mad:

I'm at work but will post pictures tomorrow. I guess I was not destined to get an X3. Maybe I'll order a Z4, M3 or X5 :bigpimp:

#422 ·
My CA reported that he would be reordering the X3. I asked him to hold it off. I'm gonna go to the dealership tomorrow and test drive some other vehicles. I don't think I'll go for an SUV again. I'm 29, married, no kids and don't plan to have any for 3-4 years. I think I need a more fun car :p

While I'm at it, I may ask for a loaner vehicle till the next car arrives :bigpimp:

#423 ·
Why are you so fickle? Not go for a SUV again, you didn't even get to drive this one. You wanted this car enough to order one, what happened was horrible, but why would that make you not want one?

Why do you need a loaner? Since you didn't trade your car in yet can't you just keep driving that?

#425 ·
I picked the x3 for its utility value, larger cargo space and better driving dynamics compared to x5.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the x3. I'm just thinking out aloud that if I had another go at choosing a BMW what other car would I love to try :)

As far as the loaner is concerned, I figured its worth asking for. I was planning to sell my existing car this week once I got my BMW (still have a buyer lined up, who may not wait too long)

#426 ·
I picked the x3 for its utility value, larger cargo space and better driving dynamics compared to x5.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the x3. I'm just thinking out aloud that if I had another go at choosing a BMW what other car would I love to try :)

As far as the loaner is concerned, I figured its worth asking for. I was planning to sell my existing car this week once I got my BMW (still have a buyer lined up, who may not wait too long)
What is the difference between what that guy is offering you and the trade in value the BMW dealership will give you? Take a look at sales tax you pay with no trade in and with trade in. It may be more advantageous to trade the car in then private sell.

Hard to say "if I had another go" when you never finished your first go.

#429 ·
#430 ·
Hi Durkis,

Your car looks beautiful! The X-line trim package further adds to the beauty of your car. Congratulations!!

I have the exact same leather color and trim. How do you like it?

#433 ·
Agreed. Would have like to get mojave but wife wouldn't agree to it and we couldn't see it in person.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I have a feeling that the Mojave color looks much lighter than what they showed me in those tile cards at the dealership. I also did not get to see the color in person but felt that it would be the best choice for my mineral silver exterior.

#432 ·
We absolutely love the Mojave. Like the tan color too, but the floor carpeting was tan as well, and with prior experience with light colored flooring it gets dirty. With Mojave it's a black floor and a unique leather that goes perfectly with the bronze paint

#434 ·
Just picked my Deep Sea Blue 2014 X328i up tonight, so here's quick shot with the iphone on the dealers lot. :)

Attachments

#435 ·
Congratulations

#436 ·
After a lot of back and forth choosing b/w reordering my X3 vs going for a 2010 M3 or 2012 Z4, I decided to go for the X3. Needed a family car to replace my existing one.

After the delivery fiasco (car totaled on arrival) I opted for performance center delivery.

2014 X3 35i, AW, oyster, m-sport, technology, premium, cold weather, driver assistance. No premium sound.

All this for 300 over invoice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.