BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

rough idle

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  luckydog 
#1 ·
Just very recently bought my first M5, an 06. Serious question: When I first start it in the morning or after sitting about 11 hours at work, it idles very rough for about 15-20 seconds, like an older carburated engine when the choke isn't quite right. After about 20 seconds or so, smooth as silk. Is this "normal"??? Some have said it is a characteristic of the V10. Thanks

#4 ·
Does your check engine light come on at all? Mine did, off and on, sometimes it would stay on for a day or two, then go off for a day or two, light would say elevated emmissions. Found out it was the high pressure oil line for the vanos.$180 part, $2K in labor. I guess the cams in the V10 are responsible for a degree of rough idle.
Now I am trying to find out why one headlight like to do it's own thing, up and down, totally at random

#5 · (Edited)
With the check engine light many things can bring it to illuminate. Mine was cracked secondary air hoses and 1 bad secondary air valve to cats. Always get the codes read. Price the repair,then choose where to have it repaired. I have not had any head light issues but have seen some threads in the e60 fourm on the subject :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.