BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Acceleration issue

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  EuroRocket 
#1 ·
Hi, I am brand new in the BMW M5 world. I just acquired a mint M5 from 1999. It has only 45,000kms and was parked most of the time in a garage (the previous owner was a pilot for Gulf Air airline).

I checked the whole car through the local dealer and even did a main maintenance to be sure everything was ok on the car. They confirmed that the car was fine. However, I have one concern:

The acceleration is not frank and have little "holes" during smooth acceleration. Also, if I accelerate full throttle, I feel that the car does not give all the power it has. For instance, sometime, just by releasing the accelerator a little bit, more power is being delivered for a couple of second.

All filters have been changed, as well as all the spark plugs.

Does anyone have felt the same thing on their M5? I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance to all of you!

Pascal

#4 ·
Acceleration issues

Hey man...I'm new at this deal too having just bought a used 2000 M5. I have similar issues and suspect it is something electrical in may case as the same hessitation/irregularity can be felt/heard in neutral. IF you rev the engine slowly and detect no variability in response, it's likely the clutch...otherwise electrical in nature...just my 2 cents. Mine appears to be "missing" a bit...especially when first driven (prior to warm-up). Nobody else noticed this but me. When I get resolution, I'll post an update. Good luck.

Ce

#5 ·
accel issues

It is your MAF. All the MY99 and MY00 had some issues with the Mass Air. See if you can get BMW to replace them for free or a small fee. If you remove them and clean them really good you might feel a difference, but best bet is to replace them.

goto www.m5board.com and search for MAF and you will find tons of info.

hope this helps

adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.