BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

One windshield washer stopped squirting

953 views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  GroupBquattro 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I first thought that maybe the driver's side washer may be blocked with debris, wax or something, used a pin to unplug it, but still it squirts no fluid on the windshield. I disconnected the hose, and fluid comes to it ok, but doesn't come out; the passenger side does its job normally, so for now I have oriented the jet as much as I could toward the driver's side. Since there are wires coming to it, I assume it's electric and maybe something burned out in there. I am not able to remove it from the hood, seems like it has to come apart, but I am not sure how, and don't want to break anything. Anyone had any experience with this ? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
The wires are for heating elements, now is the liner for your hood wet on the driver side? The passenger side gets fluid first, there is a splitter connector under there. Check the state of your hoses. If they are OE they probably got brittle and burst due to 16 years of engine heat. If the hoses are ok try putting a pick into the driver side nozzle where the fluid enters your blockage may be there.

#3 ·
I did change the driver's side hose two years ago, and the fluid comes out of it in force if I disconnect it from the nozzle. Nothing wet anywhere. I'd like to take the nozzle out, but I can't figure how to take it apart so it would come out. The wiring will not come out thru the opening, so the nozzle has to come apart somehow.

#4 ·
Hmmm do a google for "E60 Wiper Nozzle Retrofit E39" should show how to remove them.. They fit exactly the same but one has fan nozzles.

#6 ·
Ok, so you disconnect the hoses.. I think the electrical connectors have a small clip then you pull them out, after that you press up on the nozzle from the bottom of the hood, actually up and twoard the windsheild.. I replaced all y hoses with better ones but never actually took the nozzles out.

#8 ·
Could be so, haven't looked at it in a while so I can't give a straight answer. Its cold and raining right now or I'd give it a look.. If I break one I'll just upgrade to the E60 nozzies. They sound better anyway.

#11 ·
Use the wrapped strings if possible. You know the ones that have a core then a secondary steel string wrapped around them. That should act like a wee saw and bust up your clogs pretty good. A wee tiny roto Rooter lol.

#12 ·
OK, so it seems like I'll have to get a new nozzle. I did figure it out when I saw pictures of the nozzles on sale. When I disconnected the heating wires, I removed the whole thing from the hood, and only after I once I separated the support (slid out the support from the connector), I was able to fit it thru the hood. Had no guitar string, but I used a straightened safety pin, but I could not get it in more than half inch. I won't waste any more time with it, will get a new one, in the meantime, I switched the working nozzle to the driver's side so I'll be fine temporarily. Thanks again for all the help.

#13 ·
Are you willing to boil the old one?? There no way they can break mechanically. They just clog, and clogs can be busted!! Hell you could even let it soak in drain cleaner for 15 minutes.. Any longer than that it may eat the plastic.

#14 ·
I may do that, but not now. Thing is, I expected that needle to go in a lot more, but it seems it hit something really hard, on both sides, and I really pushed. I also took an elastic steel wire from a Xmas tree ornament, but it did not make it any further either. I wonder if anything broke in there blocking the flow. But then again, how in the world could anything break in there? I could try the boiling, and if I end up with new ones, I'll perform an autopsy on this one to see what's in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.