BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Xi vibration

733 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Rudyj07 
#1 ·
I've noticed when I get up to speeds about 65 I get a slight to moderate vibration. It almost feels as if it pulsates at times. I put wheel spacers (1/4") in the rear to make a better stance.Could that be my problem? Currently I'm running 225/45R18 all around.

#2 ·
Are spacers hubcentric? (hubcentric means the spacer is centered via the hub, not via the lugs). BMW wheels are hubcentric and your spacers need to be as well.

#6 ·
virbration

My own experience, it was the passenger front drive shaft. That being said, I also let the problem fester until I was sure what and where the vibration was coming from. Once the drive shaft starts to go, a few weeks later it was pretty bad and pretty easy to diagnose.

I too felt it in the seat. Usually the rubber seals around the CV joints are torn, there's no grease and the axel goes bad. My rubber boots were fine, and my axel went bad. Although I did have over 100,000 miles on it so I'm pretty sure it was worn anyway.

#7 ·
I have looked and inspected all the cv boots and nothing is torn on the boots nor looks to be in bad shape. I do have a steer stabilizer that needs replaced but I seriously doubt that it is the problem. I have 90,000 on the car so I'm expecting something to go since it is awd and the is a lot of wear and tear on the joints and what not. How much did it coat you to replace what you did?

#9 · (Edited)
I have looked and inspected all the cv boots and nothing is torn on the boots nor looks to be in bad shape.
It really doesnt matter how they look. The inner joints are notorius for having the inner boot clamps loosen up over time allowing the grease to escape. Since the grease in the inner joints is a more viscous type than what is typically used it easily seeps out when the clamps slack off without the boot being torn or cracked in any way.

I would suggest you look under there again and re-examine the area to look for any signs of grease that may have been slung away from the inner side of the inner joint. Also see if you can move the boot at all where the inner clamp is. If you can move it you most likeley have lost the grease at some point.

Your description is typical of a dry CV joint on these vehicles. And having been through this with mine on more than one occasion am willing to bet that this is indeed your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.