BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fault code for airbag light (2005 z4)

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Stromtech 
#1 ·
Hi all z4 owners,

I was wondering what are the fault codes for air bag lights.

My friend is a mechanic and has a specialize car reader.
We want to figure out why the air bag light came
On.

There were no accidets.
We didnt hit anything.

We tried discconecting the battery and that didnt reset anything.

#2 ·
Did you remove anything from the inside of the car ? Seat's, door panals or unplug any connections inside the car, You have to take the car to the dealership to have this light reset. I removed my drivers door panal to replace my window regulator and unpluged the airbag. Had to get dealership to reset light at a cost of $75 buck's . But, it could cost more. Good luck.

#4 ·
BMW had problems with the passenger seat occupancy pad and issued an extended 10 year warranty. If the SRS light on the dash AND the passenger seat occupancy light on the console are both illuminated then you might qualify for the warranty repair if your VIN checks out with the dealer. If it`s just one of the lights illuminated they may not cover you. I have the center console light illuminated whent he seat is unoccupied but the dash light is not on, so I need to trigger a system fault and take it back with both lights on before they will fix it (yes dumb) ...the dealer did check my VIN and I do qualify for the 10 year extended warranty on MY04 but it must meet the exact conditions of the warranty wording....you can find the detail information on the NHTSA web site defects investigations.

#7 ·
Update...this weekend my main SRS light finally illuminated (on it's own) so I now meet the '2 lights are on' requirement. I went to the dealer today and he indeed confirmed that the passenger seat occupancy mat is defective. It is being replaced and the costs are being fully covered by BMW.

So for some strange reason my occupancy light came on with the seat empty about a year before the main SRS light came on...obviously in my case this single light was an indication of a faulty mat but because both lights were not on the dealer claimed there was no problem. In fact I was told that having the light on when the seat is empty is a normal condition, which most owners will say is no so. Since this warranty extension expires after 10 years it would be useful to ensure both lights are illuminated when calling the dealer to get the mat replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.