BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need to replace my Fan Clutch

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rwink181 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone I need to know if replacing the fan clutch can be done by a novice. I see where it goes but I'm not sure what's going to happen once I get her apart. If you have experience replacing one I would appreciate your input. I have a 2003 X5 3.0 E53.

#2 ·
If you mean the viscous clutch on the engine fan then this is a very easy job. I did mine two weeks ago. It took 15 minutes to do. The hardest part is undoing the 32mm nut which holds the clutch to the water pump. I purchased a 32mm spanner from ebay for £6 and used a large flat bladed screwdriver to wedge between two of the 4 bolts on the front of the water pump. the 32mm nut is a left handed thread so undoes in a clockwise direction looking from the front of the car. once the nut is loose fully unwind it and you can simply lift the fan and viscous clutch out from behind the radiator. there are 3 allen bolts holding the viscous cluth to the fan. the replacement is simply the reverse.

#3 ·
If you mean the viscous clutch on the engine fan then this is a very easy job. I did mine two weeks ago. It took 15 minutes to do. The hardest part is undoing the 32mm nut which holds the clutch to the water pump. I purchased a 32mm spanner from ebay for £6 and used a large flat bladed screwdriver to wedge between two of the 4 bolts on the front of the water pump. the 32mm nut is a left handed thread so undoes in a clockwise direction looking from the front of the car. once the nut is loose fully unwind it and you can simply lift the fan and viscous clutch out from behind the radiator. there are 3 allen bolts holding the viscous cluth to the fan. the replacement is simply the reverse.
I feel that need to be emphasized for a novice. I have a little trouble when putting it back on the WP thread: tight space makes it hard to line them up.
FYI: 1 1/4" open wrench fit on that nut too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.