BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

750 Li xDrive & M Sport delivered

10K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  KSO745Li 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

New here. I joined in July when I was considering buying a 7. The forum has been extremely informative and helpful.

I've been driving SUVs for more than 15 years, most recently a Cayenne Turbo and a Range Rover Supercharged, and was looking for a change. I saw the 7s when they first came out, loved the styling, but needed 4WD living in NH, so I waited for the xDrive version. Up until my car arrived on Saturday I deliberated the decision (car vs. SUV) as my daily travelling companion is 5 year old yellow Lab.

Well, let's just say I'm thrilled with my decision to buy the 7. I love the styling (elegant & sporty), especially the M Sport package, and went with the 20s. I know the bumper chrome strips have caused much debate, but they fronts actually look like LEDs from a distance. The interior is incredibly luxurious and the materials are top notch. I think it's going to take me a few nights to learn the iDrive!

Here are a few pics from delivery and at home (sorry for the crappy BB pics). I ended up getting Dark Graphite with oyster/black.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice pick! Love the color and I'm diggin those rims! Certainly is a change, I had a Cayenne Turbo & S before I bought my last 7 series, this time there was no way I was going back to the SUV! The interior space and luxury compared to the Porsche is night and day, plus on those long road trips this baby is a dream!

Enjoy!

#9 ·
Sweet ride! The new iDrive is much more easier to learn/adapt compare to the older one and shouldn't take long to acclimatize.

Post more pictures where you can.

Enjoy the ride...i know you're hoping for snow so you can test the xDrive :)

#10 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm really excited about the car and look forward to some long road trips. I love the color and no one does a better 2-tone interior than BMW. I debated going for all oyster, but when I learned the headliner would be antracite (essentially black), I opted for the oyster/black.

As LovinM6 pointed out, the 20s are an upgrade over the standard 19s which come with the Sport package. IMO, they look much better than the 19s and since both come with summer performance tires, there was no reason not to get the 20s. And, does anybody make a better steering wheel than BMW? The thickness is just right (Porsche charges over $700 for a thicker wheel and it can't compare). Just wish it had the "M" logo under the airbag (like the Frankfurt IAA car and the early release pictures) to match the M door sills and footrest.

Living in NH 4WD is a must. I'm trying to decide between all season tires (remove the summers permanently) or get a set of 20" snows. The reason I got the Sport package and 20s is for the look and I don't want to lose that with a set of 18s or 19s. The good news is that there are a number of options for all season or snow tires (Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone). I'll probably go with all seasons.

Observations so far after about 150 miles:

I love the design, particularly the horizontal crease down the side and the matching one on the hood. I'm also a fan of the S Class, but to me that car screams "look at me" whereas the BMW is understated elegance. The more I look at the car, the more design elements I notice. The sport package is less aggressive then the MB, but they did a nice job with the front bumper and rear valance.

Because the hood is relatively flat (I guess due to the new Euro pedestrian rules), I've noticed it is hard to judge the distance to low items such as the recycling bins in my garage (I did not get the front and rear cameras).

I love the HUD and I Drive (simple and intuitive and the controller is in perfect position). It will take some time to get used to all the technology and features.

I've never been a fan of Bluetooth, but the dealer had me set it up at delivery and it works great and is crystal clear. I can't imagine not having it.

The car is smooth and has plenty of power and torque.

The seats are extremely comfortable - I'm a huge fan of the adjustable side bolsters and electric thigh support having had it on a 2001 M5. My dog seems to love the back seat too (yes, I put a blanket down!).

Also made my first trip to Dunkin Donuts this morning. My 20oz Diet Pepsi and large cup of ice fit perfectly in the cupholders and barely block the HVAC controls!

One question I have for you guys is about the central locking. It seems that if you have it set for auto locking, when the car is turned off, all the doors don't automatically unlock. Most cars I've had have the auto unlock feature. Am I missing something?

#11 ·
One question I have for you guys is about the central locking. It seems that if you have it set for auto locking, when the car is turned off, all the doors don't automatically unlock. Most cars I've had have the auto unlock feature. Am I missing something?
You have to change the settings in the iDrive to either lock/unlock the driver side only OR lock/unlock all doors.

#12 ·
Congratulations! You've got a perfect set-up on your 7 - xDrive, M Sport, 20" wheels - in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned, the 7 is the new benchmark among luxury sedans. Enjoy your car!

#14 ·
So where does the dog sit? In the back? Do you put something over the seats?

#15 · (Edited)
Lovely, lovely, lovely and pretty much the very same way I'm thinking of going (though with saddle and black interior as opposed to oyster). I'm curious to know how the ride is with the 20's. Particularly in comparison to the Range Rover Supercharged you previously owned. Like you, I am also considering swapping out my summer performance tires for year round all Seasons as opposed to dedicated winter tires (BMW XDrive and All Seasons are plenty good enough for the occasional snows we have here). What All Season tire models are you considering?

Enjoy your ride. :clap:

#16 · (Edited)
Lovely, lovely, lovely and pretty much the very same way I'm thinking of going (though with saddle and black interior as opposed to oyster). I'm curious to know how the ride is with the 20's. Particularly in comparison to the Range Rover Supercharged you previously owned. Like you, I am also considering swapping out my summer performance tires for year round all Seasons as opposed to dedicated winter tires (BMW XDrive and All Seasons are plenty good enough for the occasional snows we have here). What All Season tire models are you considering?

Enjoy your ride. :clap:
I have no experience with XDrive so its good to hear you think all-seasons will do. Although, I would say we get more than occassional snow up here. The last couple of winters have been horrendous with snow nearly every day. I'm not looking to drive in a blizzard, just looking to get home from the office safely during the occassional 2-3" you sometimes get during the course of the day.

I went on Tire Rack's site and there are several all-season options - Bridgestone, Continental and Michelin in the 20" size. Michelins are the most pricey, but I would probably go with them as they tend to ride the best. Pirelli makes a snow tire called Sottozero in the proper fitment, but the tires cost about $500 a piece. Obviously, going will all-seasons is the simplest way to go.

I had an '08 Cayenne Turbo from July 07 to July '09 and an '06 RRSC before that. There is NO comparison between the vehicles as far as ride is concerned. Since I've never driven a 7 with 19s, I can't say if the ride suffers with 20s. However, for me it's heaven!

#17 ·
Regarding the purchase of All-Season VS Winter tires....I'm looking for some suggestions here. I also have the 20" M Sport Package option and currently will be in Utah for the next 1 year. With the TPMS sensors and the BMW dealer charging a crazy amount for the tire/wheel set up package - I've been forced to look elsewhere for winter driving tires.

Any suggestions? And is there anything required when swapping out the tires? I was just going to have a local place here in Utah do the quick change when my car arrives....

Thanks...:dunno:

#23 ·
i love the color. and the x drive to boot. i miss my subaru awd, going from that to my E38. the styling of these new 7s is much nicer and appealing than the previous models. i think you're going to love this car.

as far as the size of the car, in person i think they are a tad bit longer than the E66. interior however is about the same size. i just love the looks of these new 7s.

#24 ·
Yesterday was beautiful so I decided to give the car a full detail. Here are some shots from this morning. The last one is of my Yellow Lab "Libby" who goes to work with me every day. I think she matches the oyster interior quite well. She tells me she is thrilled with her new ride, particularly the extra leg room of the "L" model, the easy access as compared to my last SUV, heated seats, and the side and rear sun shades.

Attachments

#27 ·
Oddly enough there are no foglights (front or rear) on the M Sport models. The two switches to the left of the headlight switch are deleted.

I'm not sure if the ride height is higher on the X Drive models. There does seem to be a lot of space between the wheel and the fender. However, I wouldn't want it to be much lower as there is not too much clearance between the lower part of the front bumper and parking curbs.

#34 ·
Thinking about the 750xi M Sport

c

#35 ·
Thinking about the 750xi M Sport

I just gave back my ML63 AMG and swore that I would never own anything but a SUV.... My favorite car/truck to date. Yesterday I just saw a Black 750i xDrive M sport with 20" wheels and my jaw dropped. I think I am going to take the plunge. esk How did your winter go? Do you still feel the same way you did? I am really concerned about the ride of the 20" wheels? Wanted to order a 2011 Black/Saddle, but my plans changed and I need a car ASAP. The dealer is offering over $10,000 off sticker on the Black/Black and it has the exact options I would order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.