BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M6 vs 650i

49K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  HerbP 
#1 ·
hey guys which one would you prefer the m6 0r the 650i

#3 ·
Thanks BlaZinMJ3. I see you have this one covered, and in record time I might add :D

#4 ·
ive been watching the 6er forum like a hawk because i want people to help me with a wheel decision already! no one over here is commented tho lol, ive been relying soley on e60.net! comment people, i wanna get rims soon and tommorrow is monday, meaning i can order them tommorrow and have them by saturday!

#5 ·
I would obv prefer M6 but if I was to buy I would buy the 650i...its way cheaper.

#7 ·
Went from the 650 to the m6. if the price isn't an object what would you like more on a regular 6 versus on the m?

#12 ·
Before some M fanboys jumps on your throat, the difference in performance between M6 and 650 is huge but they appeal to two different kind of consumers.

650 is a very well balanced sporty coupe/vert which delivers great perfomance even if it's driven at 5/10 of its optimum level, whereas M cars need to be pushed to 8/9/10 of its optimum level to derive pure excitement.

Both great cars just different kind of animals. :D

#14 · (Edited)
I think the people who feel the difference in an M versus a non M the most are the ones who do the upgrade while staying in the same series, like going from a 335 to an m3. It goes wayyyyy beyond just the power (maybe in low end the v8 has the advantage but once this car rolls past about 30mph theres no stopping it). It's all the little details that make the difference to YOU that only YOU would notice. Of course 90 percent of the people you drive by arent going to know the difference but to me thats not the reason to want an m6 instead of a 650. Small list that most people look past....the seats in both cars are different, the leather is different, if you get the extended merino you get a full leather dash, alcantara headliner, the gauge cluster, the steering, the electronically adjustable suspension, the handling, the actual steering wheel, the m view on the heads up display, m dynamic mode. The truth is that the car just begs you to drive it harder and faster cause thats what it's made for. I loved my 650 and from the outside it was pretty identical to my m, but when i get behind the wheel it's a different feeling and attitude. Just my 2 cents

#18 ·
As far as BMW cars are concerned, I've owned a 645, 650, and now an M6 - all convertibles. I have been very pleased with all of them. I went from the 645 to the 650 because of the additional horse-power and features, such as "Comfort Access", and the price was right! I traded for the M6 because the price at the time was a steal in my opinion (invoice) and I liked the 6 Series cars so much that I could not let a chance to own an M6 slip through my hands. If anyone here has driven an M6, they know what I mean when I say it's a totaly different driving experience than a 6 Series. It's this simple, as thrilling as the 6 Series is to drive, and it is - power, handling, acoustics, curb appeal - the M6 trumps it. Folks here who say that there not much difference looks-wise are only trying to fool themselves (the old Jedi Knight trick) in my opinion. On the other hand, as a V-10 500 hp car, the M6 requires you to have a close and personal relationship with your local filling station; but after you've heard the exhaust note from that engine you'll keep on filling up! Also, you don't have to track the M6 to enjoy it. I suppose that you would learn a lot more about the M6's capabilities if you were to take it to the track, but that's just an added bonus regarding this car in my opinion.

Bottom line - the M6 is the 6 Series exponentially better.

#19 ·
I've been eyeing a 2007 Indianapolis Red/tan M6 for $60k (CPO, 1/2 its original price and a mere 5k on the odometer). It's a beautiful car and I may buy it but, after driving it, I probably won't.

Performance-wise? The M6 obviously kicks my 645's butt, but frankly it is too much power for a daily driver that won't be tracked (or if it were tracked, we're talking once a year, maybe). It has the HUD, the PDC, the SMG/paddles, LSD and it's an M. As Status said, the 6 has the moonroof. My 645 gets 25 MPG on the highway and it pulls .93Gs. There's always someone faster than you and while the M6 is fast, there's faster, newer for less money than what I'd pay for the used M6 and my 645 is still pretty darn quick.

I know the M6 fans might rip on me but, for me, I can't see stretching for it when my 645 is good enough.

#21 ·
It all depends on where your head is at regarding the "value" of owning an M6 over a 645 or 650. It's not just about going fast or owning a car that you can take to the track. I'm reading posts from a lot of folks here who seem to be making their case for not owning an M6 because of practical concerns - gas mileage, horse-power, etc., which is almost ironic when you consider that neither the M6 or the 650/645 is a practical car in the literal sense. Come on, people, we buy these cars because they make us feel good and are fun to drive. The answer the the question, "M6 versus 650i"?, then, is how good do you want to feel while you're having so much fun.:)

#20 ·
I have had both the M6 and two 650is. I have gone to the M school and tracked BMWs M6. I bought an M6 after the M school and regretted it. It was great fun on the track (even though it's a pig) but the 650i is a better street car.

Downsides to M6:
Terrible gas mileage
SMG is a dinosaur
Little low end torque
Sport setting is too stiff for street

Upsides:
Better body package
Cooler brakes (Cross Forged holes!)

An M package 650i with DCT and the new 400hp motor. Now that would be just right.

#22 ·
idk about you guys but i think i prefer having CF over the moon roof that doesnt open. From the outside its insane and from the inside i can live with the alcantara :D I had SMG on my 650 and i test drove the m6 in SMG and in the manual. I will say that the SMG in the M6 is a way more advanced system than what was on my 650. That being said.....the manual was just too much fun so i had to go that route :D And you dont need to take the M on the track to appreciate. not only do you still feel it driving around town, but as soon as you take it on the highway to stretch its legs a little you totally get what its all about.

#29 ·
i....the manual was just too much fun so i had to go that route :D
Thats cool ! any more feedback on the manual stick on the M6 please ? I always thought that even if I go for an M, I just wasnt convinced with the SMG as an alternative for the Manual Fun lol :)

#23 ·
amateurs will see no difference between an m6 and 650i on the street. they WILL see a difference between an r8 and 650i. I think the r8 would attract more chicks. You can just bury your 650i and make the exhaust sound cool, looking like it has 500hp for the chick. even 360hp is enough power. the women dont care about the power, they just like the appeal.

#24 ·
And for everyone saying that 500hp is too much to drive around town....thats why you get to choose between p400, p500, and p500s. You only use it when you want it ;)

#25 ·
Had an opportunity to purchase an brand new 2007 M6 last month for $79k. Sat on the lot for a long time - dark blue with a gray top and gray interior - not too attractive.

Drove the car, and "Wow"! But then I got to thinking, after a few months, and the newness wears off, I will want more speed. I asked myself - "How much speed to I really need?" - I could not care less about messing with the Porsche Boy Racers, etc at stop lights.

The difference in the money is simply not worth it to me. The cars are both gorgeous head-turners, and the 650i handles and drives like no other car on the road. Simply put, it is an ego, "need for speed" issue when it comes down to choosing between the two.

How much is enough? Several seconds faster to 60 is not worth the $$$ to me - I'd just get in more trouble...

#26 ·
I am loving this thread lol i personally feel no need for the m6 the 650i does it for me i can have any female i want lmfao
M6 is for you fast and the furious guys the fastest i drove my 650i is 80mph jersey got them crazy state troopers and a ticket cost like 800 in court

#32 ·
$800??!! Ouch! Where were you driving doing 80mph? On the street in a 30 mph zone, or something?

#36 ·
Yikes! My condolences! I'm glad I don't live (and rarely drive) in New Jersey.

#34 · (Edited)
IMO they are 2 different animals...

IF you are doing it for chicks 99.9% of chicks will not know the differnce between and M and non M....

You will get respect from Car people though, people that pay attention and know the deal..

One of my good friends went all out and got an M6 Drop White on Cream its 100% gorgeous he paid for it though.... I urged him to go for the 650i drop instead and witht the money he saved customize it...... I know the type of guy he is and knew he was going for a show stopper. I explained the necks he was going to brake would be 99% about the same amount of necks that My car and any other stock 650I drop would brake..... He disagreed and said but its an M6 its an M6 yada yada...

Anyway kid has had car for 3 month now and wants to sell it for a used GT, he simply says he isnt getting the attention he anticipated with that kind of $$$$$.........

IMO the M6 is gorgeous :thumbup::thumbup:....

Personally I would not get one...... I live in the tristate area I really wouldnt get to enjoy it that much.... And to be honest my 650 has more than enough power..... I got a tick last summer no lie doing 125 in a 45 construction zone... To m y defense it was on the Turnpike and the normal speed limit was 65..... Bottom line is I had no business doing 125 but I can only imagine if i was in an M6 what it would have been.

If i was going to spend M6 Money I would go with all the fololowing cars first.

Used Bently GT
Used Audi R8
Used Mercedes CL
Used grand turismo

On a side note I have never been a real heavy performance type when it comes to buying cars...

I had a 325ci as opposed to a 330

Clk 320 opposed to Clk 500

I just never felt the need or felt the additional money was warranted... I always been more of a show guy than a go guy when it came to cars..... Bikes its a whole different story If i want performance ill hop on a zx10 and feel the road under me.....

Im into customiztion and uniqueness. Dont get me wrong I respect performance and do appreciate it but to me when your dealing with these type of cars thaere all more than good enough....

Lastly I will say this I love the way my 650i performs and I do feel this car has changed me, performance will play a major factor into my next decison, maybe I am just nor ready for the AMG or M class jump yet... But I do beleive I will be getting the highest number possible before the M or AMG etccccc..... Im still a little young (20's) and maybe I just havent hit that stride in my life yet.....

Thought I would throw in a picture of one of my X sweethearts... 2003 CLK Ice Blue 320

Attachments

#39 ·
hey I drove a 645 for 2 years and was in love with it till I met her (M6) and now drive a vert M6 as a dialy driver. I love the M6 and that exhuast note when you start it. Chicks even know its different when they hear that thing coming. I look forward to driving it everywhere, except malls because of those famous door dings! As for my experience, if you could afford it, do and never look back because life and M cars are meant to be enjoyed. I felt that the 6 series lacked Balls and the shifts were weak, especially when i had trouble keeping up with a 335i. Hit that M button and chirp 2nd and 3rd all day long @ 8250rpms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.