BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Power Steering Fluid Level

25K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Spikes007 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2004 330xi and the previous owner knew that there was a power steering hose that was leaking. I wanted to check to see if the car is low on power steering fluid however i am not too familiar under the hood of this vehicle yet and i dont have an owners manual. So my question is how and where do i check the power steering fluid? is it the cap marked ATF 4? and where should the level of the fluid be at?

#4 ·
iggy119,

What are you going to do about the possible leaking hose? Are you going to attempt to replace it yourself, or put it into a shop? I'm curious because I think I might have the same issue. I'm investigating. Wanting to know if I should attempt to tackle it myself.

Cheers,
William

#5 ·
Well I'm not completely sure what I'm going to do yet, I had a shop quote me 150 total for parts and labor but at the same point I can get the hose and do it myself for 30 or so. So I'm debating but it seems like the shop might be the better bet since I'm not too familiar under the hood of my bimmer yet

#6 ·
Neither was I when I first got mine. I wasn't familiar with any car to be honest. But ever since I got mine I've been tackling all the maintenance myself as well as my family's other vehicles. It's a lot easier to work on these cars than you might think at first.

#8 ·
Turns out that my leaks were caused not from bad hoses, but the clips were bad or you could say loose. Maybe they are called clamps. Anyway, I replaced them and now the leak is gone. These are like $2.00 clips/clamps. Takes more time to look and discover what's really going on, but some much cheaper. Hope that provides a little insight.

Cheers,
William

#9 ·
Turns out that my leaks were caused not from bad hoses, but the clips were bad or you could say loose. Maybe they are called clamps. Anyway, I replaced them and now the leak is gone. These are like $2.00 clips/clamps. Takes more time to look and discover what's really going on, but some much cheaper. Hope that provides a little insight.

Cheers,
William
That's the kind of post I like to see. :thumbup:

You can save tons of $$ by doing jobs by yourself. Of course it will take time but if you like your car it shouldn't bother you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.