BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is the acceleration hesitation still a problem on the 2012 X3

35K views 88 replies 30 participants last post by  ngcreese 
#1 ·
I have read several threads about the BMW X3's acceleration hesitation. :mad: Is this hesitation on the 2012 X3's?

Other than driving in the 'sport' mode, are there any other reasonable suggestions?

Also, is this problem on other manufacturer's cars?

#62 ·
This thread is very interesting. I just completed a 2-day test drive of a 2011 X3 28i with about 18K miles. After driving that and the 2013, I have decided on a 2013. I didn't notice any delays or hesitation in the test drive. I am coming from a 2011 Yukon Denali, which has hard shifting at times. I am hoping that the 2013 isn't' going to be an issue.

#68 ·
My 2012 35i does not exhibit the lurching behavior - a problem that I believe has been resolved with a software update. However, modulating the throttle also might take a bit of getting used to; I think some of the problems people are having is related to owners pressing the throttle the same way they would on another car, and the X3 doesn't respond as expected. If you have the lurching problem and your service center refuses to update your software, I recommend driving in Sport. I always drive around with the DHP toggled to Sport+; it makes the X3 a fun and engaging ride. Only the X5M and Cayenne GTS/Turbo are faster, and of course those are a different class of vehicle. The X1 35i is also a couple tenths faster 0-60 because of it's lighter weight, despite having the older ZF 6 speed.

#69 ·
Why does everyone think it's acceptable to change your driving behavior on a $50k + vehicle for it to work right, or put it in sport mode to compensate for lack of proper response. Plus, the tranny is supposed to adapt to you, not the other way around. The ZF is a much better transmission to boot. Boggles my mind on this behavior every time I read someone suggesting to adapt to the vehicle.

#70 · (Edited)
Evlengr, I thought exactly like you... you shouldn't have to learn how to drive a $50-60K car.

It was a major concern of mine BEFORE I bought my X3. I found an online vendor which sold a remapped electronic throttle so I figured I could work around the BMW design fault. There was never anything wrong with the transmission on the 2nd gen X3.

By the time my car was manufactured and delivered BMW had fixed the electronic fault and my car exhibits zero throttle lag.

That said, the car will be somewhat reluctant to go to WOT when in ecopro mode.

#73 ·
I just recieved a 2012 X5 35i loaner and was shocked at how noticeable the hesitation was in normal mode. If I paid $60K for this sort of performance I would be shopping Audi or Porshe. Seriously not good.

The 2013 X3's also have the hesitation but not as bad. It was enough though to drive me up to the 35i. Every vehicles going to be a little different but my 2013 35i does not hesitate at all. If it did it would be in the shop for sure. No tolerance for hesitation issues especially in a new BMW at their prices.

#74 ·
I just recieved a 2012 X5 35i loaner and was shocked at how noticeable the hesitation was in normal mode. If I paid $60K for this sort of performance I would be shopping Audi or Porshe. Seriously not good.

The 2013 X3's also have the hesitation but not as bad. It was enough though to drive me up to the 35i. Every vehicles going to be a little different but my 2013 35i does not hesitate at all. If it did it would be in the shop for sure. No tolerance for hesitation issues especially in a new BMW at their prices.
And yet Jen many people will make excuses for BMWNA with this. It's almost like "Enabling" a person with an addiction problem. They will never change their behavior as long as people keep covering for them.

I have driven 3 35 X3's and two did not exhibit the problem and one did. To me that means it's still lurking its ugly head. I was going to risk getting one if Dinan would have produced a chip like they have done for ALL the other N55 BMW's but for whatever reason they are dragging their feet on this one. If they do I would love to hear from someone how it changes things.

#78 ·
I truly envy you as you seem to be one of those lucky ones.
Nevertheless, I have instructed my IT staff to post my complaints about our X3 to several web pages AND post them on every major search engine. In about 7 to 10 weeks BMW will see the (financial) results of my complaining. They didn't listen once, they will listen when it will be very expensive (for them) to listen. By then there will be a certain drop in the number of new X3 and X5 customers in Canada and the U.S. -- and it will be followed by more work.

At this time my IT staff must spend on publicizing my BMW complaints only 1 hour a day. It gets better as time goes by. I never get mad... but I always get even. :)

#85 ·
WOW! And that is for THAT MUCH money??? What a lousy product BMW is manufacturing AND actually SELLING to unsuspecting customers in North America. That is a true shame! Well, you never know, maybe Germany is no longer manufacturing the best gadgets. Everything comes to an end after all. Is this IT for Germany? Sad. Very sad.

#86 ·
search for "SIB 24 02 12"
Subject:
N52T/N55 with 8HP45: Delay in Engine Response
Model
F25 with either N52T or N55 engines and 8HP45 transmission up to 1/16/2012
Situation
When slowing down to lower suburban road speeds and then reaccelerating, a delay in engine response may be experienced
Cause
Unfavorable EGS and DME software calibration
Correction
Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.46.0 or higher

#87 ·
Guys - Reviving an old thread because I'm running into this issue over and over again on my 2011 F25 28i.

The dealer has performed a software upgrade and perhaps a few other things but nothings solving the problem. And it is hesitation when accelerating, not the gear shift that happens when you let the car coast or slow down.

So - was there a resolution to this problem for other posters?

Thanks in advance.

#89 ·
Hmmm...
Fixed the acceleration problem I had in my E83 '07 X3.
(By changing the pair of pre-cat O2 sensors)

Traded it at 140K miles for a 2011 F25 35i X3 with 35K miles on it.
I'm at 65K miles now and haven't noticed any issues with it.

Plan to pay attention as it approaches around 80K, though.

All that said, sorry I can't provide any 28i X3 perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.