BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bimmerfest $20? wtf?

66K views 197 replies 75 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 ·
I came late last year and squeezed through the back gate, but this year there were people at both gates.

$20??? for 1600 cars is $32,000 where is that money going? I heard if you bought raffle tickets that money was going to the low income people in Santa Barbara which is ironic since SB is one of the most expensive places to live in the nation so I didn't even stick around for the raffle. With all the raffle tickets too, I bet there was a gross income of over $50,000.

Last time I checked at fairs and stuff the food places had to rent out a spot to have their food booth, I'm thinking that the vendors pay to have a spot too, and the only cost would be the Bimmerfest personnel $10/hr probably 10 of them for a total of 10 hrs, that's only $1000. And the cost to rent out the fairgrounds can't be over $10000.

I don't work hard so that poor people can work less and receive free money.

This might be the last year I support this event.

#57 ·
so what are the expenses?
If 1600 people gave me $20 and one was curious as to how the money was being spent I would provide it. Think about businesses, if you say this is Jon's job then I suppose this is his business and if we are contributing, or "compensating" for his hard work then that in a way makes us like shareholders in which we are entitled to the financial information.

So if Jon needs to be compensated for this event, why are we donating money to charity? You don't get rich throwing your money away. Maybe I'm an asshole but I would never give money to the poor/charity. I believe in natural selection and the fittest with survive.
Why not lower the price to $10 and not donate to charity.
why not have a donation box since all you guys love giving your money away.

edit: what does the $20/car pay for then? How much does it cost to rent out the fairgrounds all said and done? Do sponsors have to pay for a booth? Do the places that provided food, do they have to rent out a place?
Dude im sorry but you're an idiot. Im done trying to stick up for you. You embarrass me.

#70 ·
I'm going to go ahead and violate tou, scold me if you will :cry:

lucky579, you are an idiot, stop worrying avout what Jon had to pay to put on this event. If you don't want to spend the $20, don't go. :tsk:
+1, out of all of these posts, this was the simplest and best put, don't like the price? then don't go. damn, i'm gonna be rich after all the money i'm about to save!:D

#62 ·
Wow!! Honestly, I didn't even remember paying the $20 bucks, it was that awesome. Bitching about charity and $20 bucks, wow!!! Dude, did you notice how much the gas is that you're putting in your BMW :tsk: :thumbdwn:
Werd!!!

I spent $50 before I got to the gate, $20 at the gate, and then $220 on stuff while I was there. I was more into meeting all the people and seeing the cars than anything. The "tech talk" by Steve Dinan, being able to talk to VF and Active Autowerks engineers directly, meeting people and just feeling like I was among people with a similar passion was worth it.
:D

#63 ·
I am going to go out on a limb here.
Next year, instead of going to bimmerfest, why don't you go for a walk on the beach with the kid that started the fight?

You can even hold hands.

:D
It is really too bad that you took up one of the spaces this year.

#67 ·
The OP is a tool, this is obvious. I do have a logistics question, though... The Fairgrounds are publicly owned? So fees are paid to the state? Are you required to bring your own liability insurance, or otherwise purchase it through state sanctioned provider?

I guess I never thought about where the entry fee would go.... I assumed that after costs it was zero-sum. (keep in mind I went to med school because business was NOT a forte'). It is actually nice to know Jon sees a little sumthin for his (and others') efforts. It's not like we're gettin together in the parking lot at the mall....

#68 ·
Having only just read through this whole thread, I'm wondering it the OP was just trolling. Do people really think like that?

#69 ·
What can I say ............. You are a loser....... Give me your address and I'll mail you the $20.00, then ....................... GO AWAY!!!:wahwah: We don't need you at the events anyway. LOSERS LIKE THIS AREN'T WELCOME!!

#73 ·
i dont post much on this board but i had a good time there it was my first but when i paid 20 buck to get in and i got there at 9:45 and had to park by the stables i was a little pissed off when the folks by that back gate only paid 8 bucks to get in and even worse my 740 il was covered with a inch of dirt but it will not stop me from going next year it was a great event:thumbup:

Attachments

#74 ·
i dont post much on this board but i had a good time there it was my first but when i paid 20 buck to get in and i got there at 9:45 and had to park by the stables i was a little pissed off when the folks by that back gate only paid 8 bucks to get in and even worse my 740 il was covered with a inch of dirt but it will not stop me from going next year it was a great event:thumbup: [/IMG]
I will paypal you a fiver if you use punctuation.....

#77 ·
Ooh, Lucky579, this is your chance.
If you press "delete thread" brad will paypal you!!!!

Of course you might want to print out his offer in case you have to take him to court.

... And Brad will need your financials, since he will be a shareholder of your life.

#79 · (Edited)
Wow, I wasn't expecting you guys to take it so personally, I was looking forward to this event since January when I requested it off from work, I didn't get the weekend off, but I told them I had an event to go to, I lost a ton of my hours at work and now have the worst shifts, but I think it was worth it. Yes the event was awesome and the gf loved it as well. I love Santa Barbara and the great weather and beaches.

However I thought the price was a bit steep, and I just wanted to know how my money was being allocated. Forgive me for asking as I see this is top secret material. Its not even about the money, its your guys whole attitude, I simply would like to know where that money is being spent.

If you go to a club, the cover charge is for the DJ and the rest is income for the club. I just didn't think it was $32000 to rent out the fairgrounds, plus the sponsors paying for some of it as well.

Edit: nonprofit event, but jon gets compensated...I never understand how these things work

#80 ·
Jon just because of this thread, charge $50 next year.

#83 ·
^^ lol

#90 ·
Is anyone offended because Bill Gates made BILLIONS selling Windows to you? Some of you are nickel and dime here.

#91 ·
You just made me think of something, do my tax dollars help fund NASA ? :dunno: I think the silly flying machines they are making are way too expensive and I'm sure my personal tax liability would drop like a lead weight if we didn't all have to fund those crazy sci-fi programs :confused: :rofl:

#95 ·
Come on now. Oprah lives in SB.

And the minimum age thing wouldn't work. You have a lot of cars in one location, a lot of what people consider nicer than average cars, BMW drivers (not everyone's an owner) have a superiority complex, most people at this thing were guys, now add some alochol...

Testosterone + Gasoline + Booze = ??? (HINT: the answer is not "TEA PARTY")

Here's a simple one. Have a CHP at the front gate ask to see driver's licenses as people enter. No license, no entry. Bet they catch someone on a suspended license like that rich chick. What's her name?

But hey, it's not my event. Jon started this and is becoming the victim of his own success. I know two vintage car events that took years off recently becaues the success was getting too much for them to handle.

Thanks for the Fest, Jon!

#109 ·
Will someone establish a welfare fund to let Lucky in for the rest of his life? This thread is not worth the time to justify the cost of entry or where the money goes.

#112 ·
This is definitely in teh running for top ten thread of 2007, maybe top five... :rofl: : popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.