BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

iPhone Music Streaming

5K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  TGray5 
#1 ·
When I pair my iPhone via BT (bluetooth), I get the option to stream music via BT. However, the moment I plug my phone in to the cable in the car (standard white iPhone cable that comes w/ the phone), it removes the option to stream via BT from then on and I have to unpair and repair my phone to get it back. Does anyone know how to fix this?

#3 ·
Thats basically like me taking my car to BMW and telling them that the engine smokes when I drive it, and they say, don't drive it.

I would hope that there would be more of a "fix" than not using my phone. However, after the latest problems I have had, I wouldn't be surprised if that is my only option w/ this car.

#4 ·
Yes. It disables the BT steaming option once the phone is connected via USB. However, as I recollect, the BT streaming reappears once the USB connection is removed. No need to unpair/re pair.

#11 ·
I believe with BT streaming the control of the playlists is only from the iPhone correct?
With USB connection all music is controllable via idrive along with album art, which seems much more complete.
Am I missing a setting for BT streaming that allows more usability?

#14 ·
Key Point: UX. Many people would think that iDrive sux comparing to touch screen input on iPhone itself. (remember, whole smart phone revolution started by bold move of Steve Jobs who ditched physical keyboard for direct touch input? There are several reasons why human brain prefers direct touch input over extra level of abstraction introduced by screen in one place and control is distant, not attached, discconnected from controlled element and using different kind of physical movements: rotate/push handle)

#12 ·
I have the same problem in my f06. I suppose we could load out tunes directly into the combox which, if your music is 229kbs or higher, as I understand it, will sound best and not use phone battery.

#17 ·
Hmmm....slightly off topic, but after reading this thread I am wondering if going BT would allow me to stream music from the iCloud (Match Play). Going USB only recognizes songs that are actually on the iPhone.

#21 ·
Physical media is still ahead of all wireless technologies, and probably will always be...

#26 · (Edited)
Not necessarily. Bluetooth has more than enough capacity to transmit MP3 quality sound. It is more susceptible to interference in the car, and adding the drain on battery it's certainly easier to plug in.

Big difference comes that when you plug in your phone, the interface (how the phone talks to the car) is for the most part proprietary, while Bluetooth is standardized across different handsets and manufacturers. This is why you see the same type of support with BT across multiple handsets, while extended plug in functionality is limited to the iPhone e 4/4s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.