BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New X5d delivered last week without Storage compartment package

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
I picked up my X5 D last week was was staring at the cargo area of my x5 trying to figure out what was wrong with it... and I finally figured it out... I'm missing the hooks, tie down rails and elastic straps on the side panels... I looked on BMWUSA's website and I don't see this as a configurable option.... when I see pictures of the cargo area of the X5's on the BMW website, I see them all with these options... Anyone else missing this??

My build was pretty much every option... Only options not ordered, soft close doors, RES, and lane departure.
Options and packages ordered:
ZAP
ZCW
ZPP
ZPS
ZTP
4AZ
6AA
6AB
6NF
6NR

Pictures of my cargo area:

What I'm missing:

See less See more
#3 ·
#14 ·
No side hooks or rails in our '12 X5d, but we do have third row seats. I picked up the trunk floor area cargo net which will keep your eggs and other loose items secure, but yeah I'd still rather have a traditional vertical cargo net/pouch sort of thing. Oh well.

#16 ·
I ordered a hook from getbmwparts.com. We'll see how easy it is to install. If all goes well, I'll just order the elastic straps as well. I don't really care about the tie down rails.

#18 ·
How long did it take your dealership to get your order built? I ordered mine on 8/17 and it was at the dealership on 8/28. That was pretty amazing to get a custom ordered x5 in 11 days... I didn't even get a chance to track it because I went on vacation right after they put the order in and it was already on a truck when I got back... :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

They are built about an 18 hour drive from Boston. Mine took a bit longer to get to SoCal. :thumbup:

#20 ·
I filled out the BMW survey today. It asked what engineering changes would I recommend. I stated that I was very disappointed with the lack of basic cargo hooks and tie downs in the rear of the X5. Especially when the vehicle was purchased with almost every option. It severely impacts the ability to safely secure things to the vehicle without the proper hooks and tie downs. I also said that in all the pictures posted on BMW's website show the X5 with these hooks, straps and tie down rails. Why didn't my vehicle come with them. Let's see if they respond... Other than that... I love driving it... SOOOOO much better than the 2010 GL550 it replaced.

#22 · (Edited)
You DO have the tie-down "Loops" that use to be on the rails. They just don't move any longer. They are located at the front and rear extremes and built into the trim in the newer models. There is no no netting but that could probably be bought off someone here to solve your issues (use the netting to hold down the milk in transit).

#23 ·
It use to be, back in 2010, that the rails were part of the "Premium" package, even though BMW did not list it. But it is typical of all vehicle manufacturers to "decontent," to use an industry term, vehicles near the end of their life cycle to squeeze the last bit of profit out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.